Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

My coworker just did that by himself. He said he just bought the part and looked it up on youtube. He's not the kind of person who would be too proud to hire someone so I'm guessing he just made it through that entire process without finding out what a stupid idea it was (I didn't know until now either).

So when it broke, did it actually uncoil or something? Mine were out in like 20 years ago.
When mine broke it sounded like someone shot a gun in my garage. I was standing just outside as the door was closing, and it almost scared the poo right out of me. The spring uncoiled all of its tension and actually threw off the tension cables on each side. We watched some YouTube videos to learn more about doing the repair, and it took about an hour to do the replacement, because we were being overly cautious. We learned from doing it and replaced his springs, 2 spring system, in only 30 minutes. To me, it was more nerve wracking than working on high voltage systems, but doable.

This is a multi-part whine.

Jesus tap dancing Christ, I just can't with some of the student-athletes this semester. And this is coming from someone who tutored student-athletes for several years. The vast majority of my students are fine. Most of my student-athletes are good students as well. But there are a few who are walking, mouth breathing, dumb jock stereotypes. They coasted through high school because their small towns emphasized sports or nothing. Their teachers automatically gave them passing grades so long as their football or basketball teams went to state... and it's ALWAYS football or basketball. My own experience teaching at a small rural high school taught me that disciplinary reports mysteriously disappear if they'll prevent the star running back from playing on Friday night.

The athletes give the people something to follow and talk about when there's NOTHING else in town except for church and a roadhouse bar. Thanks to inflated grades, some student-athletes enter university with a decent GPA despite being functionally illiterate. No joke, but one of my friends at Texas A&M had John Manziel in his class. My friend gave him a D at the midterm, but the athletics department swooped in and somehow found enough points for him to get a C. And Manziel was a train wreck of a human being.

I'm a little concerned because the wife seems intent on pushing our future kids into football. She's from a community like the one I just described (small town, semi-rural, Deep South). She's an educator herself but she was also raised to put athletes on a pedestal. I'm thinking it's just a passing phase that will fade out once reality hits. A prime motivator for high school athletes in the small town South is peer pressure and there isn't as much of it here in Houston. We live in one of the most diverse cities in the US, and certainly the most diverse in Texas. When I get tenure and the big pay raise, we'll probably move to a nicer neighborhood where sports are only seen as a hobby instead of a livelihood or a ticket out of poverty. Given demographic trends, I'm hoping it's an Asian majority neighborhood where our Chinese and Indian neighbors just won't care about sports. They push their kids into spelling bees and engineering instead, but that is the kind of overbearing parenting I grew up with. I can handle that because I'm used to it.

It'd be tragically funny if you end up in a community of Asian parents who push their children to achieve Olympic-level proficiency in badminton or table tennis.

:D

Oh that would be a sticky situation. I wouldn’t want there to be a fuss from the other set of parents every time our kids beat Vijay or Sung-Un at ping pong, and the wife doesn’t think a sport is truly a sport unless you’re covered in dirt and grass stains when you’re done.

When I lived in Korea, we saw badminton courts and driving ranges everywhere. Those were considered acceptable recreational activities for urban salarymen so long as they let the boss win.

GasBandit

Staff member
Sometimes I wonder if all this effort is really worth it just to have a comfortable air-conditioned place to wait for death once I am unable to work anymore.

Is this what a midlife crisis feels like?

Sometimes I wonder if all this effort is really worth it just to have a comfortable air-conditioned place to wait for death once I am unable to work anymore.

Is this what a midlife crisis feels like?
If it makes you feel any better, there's a non-zero chance the world just ends before you reach that point.

I get it. Funerals are part of what I do. I don't mind doing them either!
However.
A few weeks ago I was told by a choir member that once their family was all home, they'd want a service for their (deceased since last year) sibling. Fine. As of Monday morning (because I called and badgered them to give me a date!), that's looking like next Friday.
Got a call Monday morning from the siblings of a loosely affiliated family. Their sibling has died suddenly, and after the autopsy (and assuming the incarcerated brother can get there), they want a service. Next Thursday.
Got a call late this morning, from the daughter of a long-time very active member. They're in the hospital with a brain bleed and won't survive the day. I get there in 45 minutes, they've already died. They want a service - say it with me now - late next week. Probably Thursday or Friday. I won't know until the family gets home on Tuesday next week. Oh, and the now widow of this person is also in hospital and has been for over a month. So we got to tell them too.

Enough already!

It's just a lot of emotions to get thrown at you in a short period of time. And families get weird around deaths. Every one of them is different, sometimes vastly so.

Oh! And I threw my back out last weekend and am in incredible pain. And I have 3 full days of meetings coming up. One tomorrow, and 2 on Mon/Tues next week. Plus some evening committee meetings as well for good measure. And did I mention I'm working 3 jobs at the moment, with one of them being co-teaching an on-line course this week and next?

And and... my in-laws arrive for a 10-day visit on the 29th.

FFS.

But on the plus side you saw me accidentally eat super spicy salsa.
That did help. ;)
I needed the socialization, and the break from all this death and scheduling nightmare!
Post automatically merged:

I get it. Funerals are part of what I do. I don't mind doing them either!
However.
A few weeks ago I was told by a choir member that once their family was all home, they'd want a service for their (deceased since last year) sibling. Fine. As of Monday morning (because I called and badgered them to give me a date!), that's looking like next Friday.
Got a call Monday morning from the siblings of a loosely affiliated family. Their sibling has died suddenly, and after the autopsy (and assuming the incarcerated brother can get there), they want a service. Next Thursday.
Got a call late this morning, from the daughter of a long-time very active member. They're in the hospital with a brain bleed and won't survive the day. I get there in 45 minutes, they've already died. They want a service - say it with me now - late next week. Probably Thursday or Friday. I won't know until the family gets home on Tuesday next week. Oh, and the now widow of this person is also in hospital and has been for over a month. So we got to tell them too.

Enough already!

It's just a lot of emotions to get thrown at you in a short period of time. And families get weird around deaths. Every one of them is different, sometimes vastly so.

Oh! And I threw my back out last weekend and am in incredible pain. And I have 3 full days of meetings coming up. One tomorrow, and 2 on Mon/Tues next week. Plus some evening committee meetings as well for good measure. And did I mention I'm working 3 jobs at the moment, with one of them being co-teaching an on-line course this week and next?

And and... my in-laws arrive for a 10-day visit on the 29th.

FFS.
Good news!

Tomorrow's meeting got rescheduled!

Bad news!

To late next week, Thursday or Friday, you won't know until Tuesday!
That would actually be great - funerals take precedence over meetings. I wouldn't have to go to the day of "planning"! Sadly, it's looking like it's being moved to the first week of October.

I've had a cast iron stomach since my teenaged years. I hardly ever get food poisoning or stomach viruses. Anyways, last night we went to a birthday party with lots of rich food and desserts. I went to bed feeling fine. When I woke up, my stomach felt like it was boiling with acid. I then ran to the bathroom and reenacted the toilet scene from Dumb and Dumber. I felt okay after that but I wanted to be sure. I just had a simple slice of toast for breakfast. My stomach seemed fine. We went to the movies (the kind of cinema where they bring food to you) and I ordered a regular meal. Again, everything felt normal through the entire show but I felt a touch of gas. The show ended and I went to the urinal. That is where I gambled on a fart and lost. Fortunately, hardly anyone else was around and it was easy to hop into a stall before more damage was done.

I'm starting to realize that I can't eat like I used to.

I have been two months now looking for a job. I'm dead broke, have bills coming that I can't pay. I have put out nearly 100 resume's and only received two interviews. I just to talked to a friend of mine the other day to find out that it's very likely it's because my resume isn't set for the ATS systems they use, and even then, when I apply for lower level jobs I'm ignored because I won't stay, or it's so far below my qualifications and experience. I'm close to starving and just want to go back to work.