[Soccer] World Cup 2014

Dave

Staff member
I love world cup soccer. It's just a bonus that the US is starting to get better at it. Belgium is going to be a hard match, though. And if we get past them we have (probably) Argentina!

I love world cup soccer. It's just a bonus that the US is starting to get better at it. Belgium is going to be a hard match, though. And if we get past them we have (probably) Argentina!
If I had to rank the remaining 16 teams...

1. Netherlands
2. Brazil
3. Germany
4. France
5. Argentina
6. Colombia
7. Chile
8. Belgium
9. USA
10. Costa Rica
11. Uruguay
12. Mexico
13. Switzerland
14. Russia/Algeria winner
15. Nigeria
16. Greece

So...it could have been worse for the US. Any group winner is an uphill climb.

Dave

Staff member
An Algeria win over Russia and a loss by Belgium would be best for the US. I think we'd have a harder time beating Belgium than Algeria.

B

BErt

All this breath holding is for love to the game or love to the country?
I love world cup soccer. It's just a bonus that the US is starting to get better at it.
This, I guess. I love World Cup soccer. I've tried - really really - tried to care about soccer when it isn't World Cup and it's just missing something. I also don't watch swimming or gymnastics when the Olympics aren't around so if you want to just call it blind love of country I guess that's fair. It's a hell of a lot of fun whatever way you want to cut it.

I have a feeling that Belgium may be... under tested? Their group was pretty much the "Group of Cake" for them - swept all three teams.

I have it here that USMNT advances on penalty kicks.

It really seems satyrical but... it doesn't really fit with the author, right? In any case, I laughed a bit at some parts.

Yeah. I think USA-Belgium's an exciting match-up, because while obviously the better team will win (hint: it's a country with crappy unworking politics and a couple of posters here are from there :p), it's fairly open. No matter which one of us goes through, though, Argentina we're not beating.

Yeah. I think USA-Belgium's an exciting match-up, because while obviously the better team will win (hint: it's a country with crappy unworking politics and a couple of posters here are from there :p), it's fairly open. No matter which one of us goes through, though, Argentina we're not beating.

Good luck. I'm just happy we got so far.

Argghhh, dammit Switserland! You deserved it! Oooohhhh such a shame. I hope the next match will be as exciting...But...Well, we'll see. May the best team win!

Oh, hey, the best team won :troll:

Great match, good plays on both sides. It's not fair putting Clark Kent in the goal though, and that beard isn't fooling anyone.
(Absolute WC record - most shots-on-goal caught by a keeper. Congrats. If only the Belgians could actually learn to finish those actions a bit more often, we might actually have a shot against Argentina.)

So how many Americans discovered where Belgium is on a map today? :p

Oh, hey, the best team won :troll:

Great match, good plays on both sides. It's not fair putting Clark Kent in the goal though, and that beard isn't fooling anyone.
(Absolute WC record - most shots-on-goal caught by a keeper. Congrats. If only the Belgians could actually learn to finish those actions a bit more often, we might actually have a shot against Argentina.)

So how many Americans discovered where Belgium is on a map today? :p
Belgium... that's in Minnesota, isn't it?

Hey, statistically speaking*, Belgium has the least-beaten goalie (2 goals in 7 or 8 WC matches) and the most active offense (87 shots on goal in 4 matches) on the Championship...And if we win from Argentina, because of the way the FIFA ranking works, we'll actually be #1 in the world (theoretically, and only until the Semin-finals arep layed, but still). Ridiculous.

Still, to put things in perspective - the fastest player on the field was Vertonghen, at 31.7 kph. Robben (of the Dutchies) ran at 37.6 kph in their match against Spain. We've still got a ways to go :p

*I'm 100% aware the numbers don't line up with actual sportswise qualities

I know the US overachieved, but the actual World Cup results just kept getting progressively more brutal

Beat Ghana, yay
Saddest tie in history
Slog with Germany, felt like backing into round of 16
That Horseshit Yesterday

Dave

Staff member
Charlie, I love you. But you are wrong.

Beat a good Ghana team that has beaten us consistently. It was a great win.
A little hyperbolic. We tied a really good team with one of the best players in the world and THEY had to come from behind to do it.
Germany and the US showed how the travel arrangements and fatigue plays a large part. And we STILL only lost 1-0. That's to a team that many think could win it all.
That "horseshit" yesterday was a study in defense and heart for our US team. You can't take that away from them.

So I respectfully disagree.

Dave

Staff member
A study in defense? You mean a study in Tim Howard is amazing and our defense is atrocious.
Is there really a difference? What if the defensive line had been stronger and Tim had had to do nothing? 0 goals at the end of regulation is still a staunch defense no matter how it was achieved. And it wasn't our defense that sucked but our midrange and attacking ball control.

Watching team USA reminded me a lot of a Predators game.

Great goaltending, not a lot of offense, try to come back after giving up a lead late.

Yeah, the defense did what they could, but when your midfield keeps giving possession away, there's only so much your defenders can do to stem the tide.

In the second half, the US basically parked the bus and gave up attacking. You can't do that against the likes of Belgium, they'll carve you up.