[Question] Worst part of your favorite games?

Nobody plays medics these days it seems like, so heavies are just walking free kills.
I dunno. I've been playing heavy every night with great success. The sandvich goes a long way to alleviating my healing problems, I more or less try ambushing everyone and no one really survives a Gatling gun to the face.

I remember a quote from last night

(other team): "3 snipers on the battlements and the heavy walks and steals our flag. You fail."

GasBandit

Staff member
I dunno. I've been playing heavy every night with great success. The sandvich goes a long way to alleviating my healing problems, I more or less try ambushing everyone and no one really survives a Gatling gun to the face.

I remember a quote from last night

(other team): "3 snipers on the battlements and the heavy walks and steals our flag. You fail."
If they had 3 snipers on the battlements and a heavy got past, those snipers absolutely do fail.

If they had 3 snipers on the battlements and a heavy got past, those snipers absolutely do fail.
Or maybe I'm an awesome Heavy.

....but yeah, it was probably a team of noobs. I felt awkward. Why am I here, taking the flag? This is not my job.

GasBandit

Staff member
Or maybe I'm an awesome Heavy.

....but yeah, it was probably a team of noobs. I felt awkward. Why am I here, taking the flag? This is not my job.
Not only was it a fail on the part of the snipers, but on the part of any engineer on the other team. Especially if you were playing 2fort. There's no excuse for a non-medic'd heavy getting the intel on 2fort.

The engineer charged out of the intel room, And got gun to the face. I was able to 'snipe' the sentry, sandvich heal, grab the intel and walk out relatively un harassed. I even taunted on the 2fort bridge before I ran back into base.

GasBandit

Staff member
The engineer charged out of the intel room, And got gun to the face. I was able to 'snipe' the sentry, sandvich heal, grab the intel and walk out relatively un harassed. I even taunted on the 2fort bridge before I ran back into base.
What would have really capped it all off would have been to conga-line home.

I know it's not a common opinion, but I hated all the "game on the side" type games they started introducing into Final Fantasy games... you know, Triple triad, Blitzball, all that crap.
I just always fucking lost at Triple Triad. Loved Blitzball though. Without realizing it I had basically recruited the best potential goalie in the game (an Al Bhed you just kind of run into somewhere). Got to the point where I went two seasons without the opposing team scoring a point.

Worst part of a game I really like? Front Mission 4 has a couple logical disconnects that you don't notice the first few times you play them, but get more annoying once you realize them. And they all have to do with access to equipment/money.

See, the B-plot of FM4 is that Darrel, Renges, and Schaffer find a crashed cargo jet filled with literally tons of gold bars. The value stated was $25,000,000 but that was before the price of gold jumped in the early 2000's. The quantity of gold is such that they need heavy military cargo trucks in order to transport it, and it was stated to be stolen from Venezuala's national treasury, so I'd say it's probably more like $250,000,000 in gold - $25,000,000 in gold would only be around 1300 lbs, which a Ford F-150 could haul. That's not my issue. My issue is that you can never use any of that money that you're carrying with you the entire game, to buy equipment. Now, yes, if you're buying from government stores that would be a problem - but 90% of the time, you're buying through the black market. No one is going to fucking care where the money came from. But no, you're stuck with the credit reward earned in battle.

Secondly, the group in the A-Plot of the game is "The Durandal", an NGO dedicated to research and development of combat wanzer technology and tactics. One of the very first scenes involves the disorientation suffered by a new pilot due to the increased responsiveness of the Durandal wanzers. Given all that, it is fairly safe to assume that Durandal's equipment is higher grade than most issued wanzers - the main protagonist is newly arrived from the French armed forces, while other members are from Russia (Zaftra, for some reason in this), Germany, Italy, and the UK. Yet, in game, your team's gear is often on par, or somewhat slower, than the opposition, unless you unlock special gear in the simulators.

Which brings me to the third annoyance in the game: Unlockables that are nigh impossible, that you are never told about in-game, that are extremely unlikely to be figured out, ever. For example, "Defeat all enemy forces before the fourth round" - on a map where all the enemy groups are distant and widely spaced, and reaching any one of them will take at least 2 rounds. If you don't one-shot each and every enemy, you cannot possibly meet this criteria. You will not have the gear to one-shot any enemy. "Save more than 4 of your suicidal allies" - they are in immediate range of the enemy, slower than the enemy, dealing maybe 3/4 of the damage your weakest party member does, with armor maybe 1/2 as effective. Your troops won't be in range at maximum move for at least 2 rounds. There are 6 of your suicidal allies, and a dozen enemies.

Wait, the engineer set up in the intel room? Was there another engie on their team?

Also, true story, one time on 2Fort my team fought its way to the enemy intel room, though many of us died along the way, until it was just me (heavy) and a scout. I picked up the intel because I got there first, and the scout kept insisting that I drop it and let him take it, since "it's the scout's job to cap."

And then an enemy soldier came out of nowhere, one-shot the scout with a crit rocket, and then I killed the soldier and returned the intel all the way back to our base.

See, the B-plot of FM4 is that Darrel, Renges, and Schaffer find a crashed cargo jet filled with literally tons of gold bars. The value stated was $25,000,000 but that was before the price of gold jumped in the early 2000's. The quantity of gold is such that they need heavy military cargo trucks in order to transport it, and it was stated to be stolen from Venezuala's national treasury, so I'd say it's probably more like $250,000,000 in gold - $25,000,000 in gold would only be around 1300 lbs, which a Ford F-150 could haul. That's not my issue. My issue is that you can never use any of that money that you're carrying with you the entire game, to buy equipment. Now, yes, if you're buying from government stores that would be a problem - but 90% of the time, you're buying through the black market. No one is going to fucking care where the money came from. But no, you're stuck with the credit reward earned in battle.
You know who hates dealing in gold? People who aren't banks. Here's a few reasons.

- Gold takes up space. If you want to protect your investment, you need a secure place to keep it. That costs money and raises suspicion.
- Gold is hard to convert into currency quickly. The biggest problem with dealing in gold bars is that not only do you need to find someone who can give tens of thousands of dollars for a brick sized bar, you also need to find someone who is willing to ignore the seal of the government of Venezuela that would have been pressed into the bars during manufacture. It'd be like dealing in Nazi gold during WW2: it's stamped with an eagle and swastikas. Everyone is going to know where you got it and few are going to want to deal with. You could smelt it into smaller ingots or into bars again to remove the marks but that's going to take fucking refinery and time you don't have.
- Dealing in gold raises suspicion. NO ONE trades in gold except commodity traders, banks, pawn shops (and only in small amounts), and weirdos. You start tossing around gold bricks and people will talk, leading the government right to you.

This is why black markets around the world usually operate in one of three things:
- uncut diamonds, which are small and lightweight and have none of the identity problems gold bars have
- drugs, which are easy to resell to dealer operation for cash
- Cash

So the long and short of it is that they couldn't spend it because no one wants to deal with stolen gold bars because it's just way too much of a hassle... especially when the government is looking for it's stolen gold bars.

You know who hates dealing in gold? People who aren't banks. Here's a few reasons.

- Gold takes up space. If you want to protect your investment, you need a secure place to keep it. That costs money and raises suspicion.
- Gold is hard to convert into currency quickly. The biggest problem with dealing in gold bars is that not only do you need to find someone who can give tens of thousands of dollars for a brick sized bar, you also need to find someone who is willing to ignore the seal of the government of Venezuela that would have been pressed into the bars during manufacture. It'd be like dealing in Nazi gold during WW2: it's stamped with an eagle and swastikas. Everyone is going to know where you got it and few are going to want to deal with. You could smelt it into smaller ingots or into bars again to remove the marks but that's going to take fucking refinery and time you don't have.
- Dealing in gold raises suspicion. NO ONE trades in gold except commodity traders, banks, pawn shops (and only in small amounts), and weirdos. You start tossing around gold bricks and people will talk, leading the government right to you.

This is why black markets around the world usually operate in one of three things:
- uncut diamonds, which are small and lightweight and have none of the identity problems gold bars have
- drugs, which are easy to resell to dealer operation for cash
- Cash

So the long and short of it is that they couldn't spend it because no one wants to deal with stolen gold bars because it's just way too much of a hassle... especially when the government is looking for it's stolen gold bars.
Just convert all your gold to bitcoins!

Re-melting gold isn't all that difficult. You need a $10 graphite crucible, an acetylene torch (which any mechanic's shop would have), some boric acid powder (which can be found in most grocery stores), a graphite mold (or, for that matter, a spare piece of armor plate) to pour the molten gold into - or into a bucket of water to make "gold shot", which is easily liquidated as scrap gold. One of gold's biggest assets is how completely frangible it is.

And they were already dealing with black market arms dealers - in particular, a Chinese arms dealer who was based off a container ship, and with one who was supplying the ANTI-GOVERNMENT REBELS. In both cases, the gold would be the least of the worries of either party. Now, the biggest legitimate concern with the Chinese arms dealer - which was mentioned - was that if he found out what they were carrying, he might just have his crew murder them and toss them overboard. Okay, fair enough. But the guy selling military equipment to the anti-government rebels? We're told he's a mechanic who does this as a sideline. Well, he already has to have the storage for all the milspec equipment he deals in, and any shop capable of fabricating parts for combat robots can process gold. Hell, considering how much gold is in electronics, having scrap gold wouldn't even be all that weird. So you think he'd be happy to take the governor's ill-gotten gains.

Last edited:
And they were already dealing with black market arms dealers - in particular, a Chinese arms dealer who was based off a container ship, and with one who was supplying the ANTI-GOVERNMENT REBELS. In both cases, the gold would be the least of the worries of either party. Now, the biggest legitimate concern with the Chinese arms dealer - which was mentioned - was that if he found out what they were carrying, he might just have his crew murder them and toss them overboard. Okay, fair enough. But the guy selling military equipment to the anti-government rebels? We're told he's a mechanic who does this as a sideline. Well, he already has to have the storage for all the milspec equipment he deals in, and any shop capable of fabricating parts for combat robots can process gold. Hell, considering how much gold is in electronics, having scrap gold wouldn't even be all that weird. So you think he'd be happy to take the governor's ill-gotten gains.
Unless the SHIP has large portions of it's hold made of graphite (which isn't exactly a good ship making material) I doubt they have a foundry large enough to manufacturer parts. Anything else would melt. If anything, they just have the fully completed parts sitting in shipping containers for people to buy and a facility to get them attached. As wanzers are designed to be modular, you probably don't need a whole lot of tools to get them attached. The guy working for the rebels has similar problems: if he has a foundry large enough to make parts, it's likely been targeted by the federales and blown to bits by now. He's probably working the same way as the Chinese dealer: people smuggle the parts into the country on trucks and bury them somewhere for him to pick up later.

That said, I looked into gold values... a standard gold bar is 400 Troy-ounces (12.4 kilos) and worth a bit over half a million dollars. He could have bought a fucking tank for 12 bars of gold. So you wouldn't need to smuggle out a mountain of gold... just a few bars at a time.

Unless the SHIP has large portions of it's hold made of graphite (which isn't exactly a good ship making material) I doubt they have a foundry large enough to manufacturer parts. Anything else would melt. If anything, they just have the fully completed parts sitting in shipping containers for people to buy and a facility to get them attached. As wanzers are designed to be modular, you probably don't need a whole lot of tools to get them attached. The guy working for the rebels has similar problems: if he has a foundry large enough to make parts, it's likely been targeted by the federales and blown to bits by now. He's probably working the same way as the Chinese dealer: people smuggle the parts into the country on trucks and bury them somewhere for him to pick up later.

That said, I looked into gold values... a standard gold bar is 400 Troy-ounces (12.4 kilos) and worth a bit over half a million dollars. He could have bought a fucking tank for 12 bars of gold. So you wouldn't need to smuggle out a mountain of gold... just a few bars at a time.
Yang didn't have a foundry, but he had enough storage space for several fully assembled wanzers - because he stores the Zaftran Wanzers that you defeat in one of the levels. Likewise, you don't need a foundry to melt gold, if you do it a bit at a time. But more the point, half a dozen bars would buy every single piece of equipment, program, and upgrade you have access to in the game.

If we go with the amount of money the game states ($25,000,000), that would be around 1350 lbs of gold. If each bar is 25 lbs (a little smaller than standard), that's 54 bars. If each bar is 30 lbs (a little heavier than standard), it would be 45 bars. That should not be a huge transport issue. You could almost assuredly haul that in one of the nifty cargo backpacks you can get for your Wanzers. Especially if you split it up over 3 wanzers. (18 or 15 bars each).

If we go with the amount of money the game states ($25,000,000), that would be around 1350 lbs of gold. If each bar is 25 lbs (a little smaller than standard), that's 54 bars. If each bar is 30 lbs (a little heavier than standard), it would be 45 bars. That should not be a huge transport issue. You could almost assuredly haul that in one of the nifty cargo backpacks you can get for your Wanzers. Especially if you split it up over 3 wanzers. (18 or 15 bars each).
Exactly. It's entirely more likely it was like 1-10 billion dollars in gold, which would have been like 50,000-500,000 pounds. Now THAT would have needed some fucking trucks.

Exactly. It's entirely more likely it was like 1-10 billion dollars in gold, which would have been like 50,000-500,000 pounds. Now THAT would have needed some fucking trucks.
Even just adding a zero would be more likely - $250,000,000 would be hundred of bars, not a few dozen. 15,000 lbs isn't terrible but it's far beyond the range of your average pickup.

I'm not sure which game I would consider my favourite, but the gold chocobo breeding in FF VII annoyed me to no end. I also remember despising the card mini-game in VIII, and, well, most mini-games in most FF, I suppose.

The final boss sequence in the first Uncharted also made me rage to the heavens.

I'm not sure which game I would consider my favourite, but the gold chocobo breeding in FF VII annoyed me to no end. I also remember despising the card mini-game in VIII, and, well, most mini-games in most FF, I suppose.

The final boss sequence in the first Uncharted also made me rage to the heavens.
The only problem with Chocobo Breeding is just how much of it requires a guide. You want a REALLY bad side quest in a Final Fantasy game? How about dodging those fucking blitzballs and seagulls in FFX? Or worse, trying to dodge 250+ lightning strikes in a row? Or playing 10+ hours of Blitzball to get Wakka's items for his weapon? I -like- Blitzball and I can't stand to grind for that shit.

Yeah, I didn't do too much side-questing in FF X. Did the mandatory Blitzball match, despised it and that was pretty much it. Looked at a guide to see what I needed to do to get the ultimate stuff, went "HAHAHAHAHA... HELL no!" Insetad I went and spanked the final boss and then moved on to another game (damned if I can remember what it was though).

The only problem with Chocobo Breeding is just how much of it requires a guide. You want a REALLY bad side quest in a Final Fantasy game? How about dodging those fucking blitzballs and seagulls in FFX? Or worse, trying to dodge 250+ lightning strikes in a row? Or playing 10+ hours of Blitzball to get Wakka's items for his weapon? I -like- Blitzball and I can't stand to grind for that shit.
Yes, all of this. I literally stopped playing FFX because of that shit. Listen, game designers: NORMAL PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO DO THAT SHIT. Delve a hidden dungeon and defeat a secret boss? Find a bunch of secret components scattered across the map? Okay, fine. Those can be kind of fun. Tests of random luck and autistic-level fixation? Nope, fuck you.

Yes, all of this. I literally stopped playing FFX because of that shit. Listen, game designers: NORMAL PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO DO THAT SHIT. Delve a hidden dungeon and defeat a secret boss? Find a bunch of secret components scattered across the map? Okay, fine. Those can be kind of fun. Tests of random luck and autistic-level fixation? Nope, fuck you.
I honestly thought Shadow Hearts: Covenant had the best sidequests.

- Want some free items? Find the hidden lottery guys and spin for great shit.
- You see that huge, weird piece of trash just lying around? Joachim's gonna pick it up and use it as bludgeon. Yes, even the giant frozen fish.
- Hey, you see this straw? Let's see what you can get for in a series of trades. Best results? 1 million dollars or the ultimate weapon of one your characters.
- Hey Joachim... you want to learn some new wrestling moves? Go beat up The Great Gama. Oh, you've learned the best moves? Let's start THE MAN FESTIVAL, where you gotta beat 100 sweaty guys for a great prize.
- Blanca, it's time to prove you are the best wolf in the world... and to do it, you're going to beat up the best wolves in WOLF FIGHT.
- Hey, let's find some GAY PORN trading cards so we can get new dresses for your doll, Geppeto!

It's all just the silliest shit but it's fun to do and you get great, tangible stuff throughout the game doing it.

Yeah, FFX is the only FF I've beaten without a single ultimate weapon. Not only is there lightning dodging, getting the 0.1 or whatever time on racing, and Blitzball, but the fucking Monster Arena and catching all those mobs to get the parts from that, too. Plus, you can't even go and do some of the weapon shit without beating some of the super-overpowered Dark Aeons, who will wreck your shit completely if you go in unprepared.

Yeah, I didn't do too much side-questing in FF X. Did the mandatory Blitzball match, despised it and that was pretty much it. Looked at a guide to see what I needed to do to get the ultimate stuff, went "HAHAHAHAHA... HELL no!" Insetad I went and spanked the final boss and then moved on to another game (damned if I can remember what it was though).
Same here. I gave up on getting everything in these RPGs when I realized just how deep and varied the secret stuff was in Final Fantasy Tactics, and then FFVIII was pretty much "You got to max level? Well, you're screwed on this optional boss and there's nothing you can do about it."

Yeah, FFX is the only FF I've beaten without a single ultimate weapon. Not only is there lightning dodging, getting the 0.1 or whatever time on racing, and Blitzball, but the fucking Monster Arena and catching all those mobs to get the parts from that, too. Plus, you can't even go and do some of the weapon shit without beating some of the super-overpowered Dark Aeons, who will wreck your shit completely if you go in unprepared.
That's only is in the International version... which IS an oversight.[DOUBLEPOST=1409427815,1409427574][/DOUBLEPOST]
Same here. I gave up on getting everything in these RPGs when I realized just how deep and varied the secret stuff was in Final Fantasy Tactics, and then FFVIII was pretty much "You got to max level? Well, you're screwed on this optional boss and there's nothing you can do about it."
Yeah... the ONLY way to beat Omega past a certain level is with Heroes or Holy Wars. Yes, you literally need to make yourself invincible and basically spam Limit Breaks to beat him past a certain level.

That's only is in the International version... which IS an oversight.
Yeah, that's true, I'm going off the International version as it's the last I played. Even with the removal of Dark Aeons, though, it's all pretty bullshit.

Oh! I thought of another thing. I'm all for crafting in games, but let me know there's a system for it ASAP. If I sell off a bunch of shit and then find out I need it to make stuff, I'm going to be upset I have to go back and farm for something I had a stack of not an hour or so prior to the tutorial slapping me in the face.

Yeah, that was absolute horseshit. I managed to do it by staggering my use of Heroes (which involved playing that stupid card game, grrrrrrrr), which ensured that there was never a moment where all three characters were vulnerable, but there was much luck involved. The irony here is that VIII is the only one where I got to max level without trying. I usually like to grind all the way to level 99 or whatever the equivalent is. Just put on a good CD (that's right kid, a CD, it's like a physical mp3) and you're good to go. It is absurdly easy to get there without trying.

That part is so much easier on the 3DS since you can tilt the console to aim.
My success rate went waaaaaay up with this one weird trick.
I taped a tiny (3mm or so) square of plain ol' masking tape to my TV screen to use as a reticle
--Patrick

And then there's the endurance races in Gran Turismo. "Hey, you have to play one fucking course for 24 hours in REAL TIME." Or the "Roadster 4 hour". It's all Mazda Miata MX-5's, on one of the lamer tracks (Tsukuba), for 4 GODDAMN HOURS.

Just... no.

Speaking of Final Fantasy games, I find I don't like a lot of the earlier ones because they either get weird or the pacing changes completely around the midpoint.

-In FF VI, even though I love the game, I find the pacing comes to a grinding halt once Kefka ends the world. Maybe that's kind of the point, but before that, you were pretty much racing from one point to the next as the plot was incredibly engrossing. After that, it's basically a Final Fantasy version of Pokemon as you collect all your friends and then go fight the bad guy.

-In FF VII, I feel it's similar once Sephiroth calls down Meteor. Then you're just grinding until you decide to go after him in his bubble fortress.
-I was digging FF VIII up until the introduction of time travelling witches. Once that aspect as introduced, I found the rest of the story and plot went totally south. Not to mention a anticlimactic finale where you jump to the future but there's not much to do there except fight the witch.
-I would've loved FF IX more if it had stayed consistent with the fantasy setting. But then a spaceship and alternate universes are introduced, so it becomes more of a sci-fi.

Speaking of Squeenix properties, Bravely Default. If you ever played it, you know exactly what part I'm talking about.

By far the one part of any game that made me throw controllers across the room was The Driver in GTA Vice City. My god, did I hate that whiny little shit. I don't think I ever finished that race without at least a dozen restarts.