[Question] Worst part of your favorite games?

Bowielee said:
Speaking of Squeenix properties, Bravely Default. If you ever played it, you know exactly what part I'm talking about.
Actually what pisses me off more is
Everyone knows what is going on before the end, yet at the end, it seems like everyone forgot and they are shocked at what is happening.

Speaking of Final Fantasy games, I find I don't like a lot of the earlier ones because they either get weird or the pacing changes completely around the midpoint.

-In FF VI, even though I love the game, I find the pacing comes to a grinding halt once Kefka ends the world. Maybe that's kind of the point, but before that, you were pretty much racing from one point to the next as the plot was incredibly engrossing. After that, it's basically a Final Fantasy version of Pokemon as you collect all your friends and then go fight the bad guy.

-In FF VII, I feel it's similar once Sephiroth calls down Meteor. Then you're just grinding until you decide to go after him in his bubble fortress.
-I was digging FF VIII up until the introduction of time travelling witches. Once that aspect as introduced, I found the rest of the story and plot went totally south. Not to mention a anticlimactic finale where you jump to the future but there's not much to do there except fight the witch.
-I would've loved FF IX more if it had stayed consistent with the fantasy setting. But then a spaceship and alternate universes are introduced, so it becomes more of a sci-fi.
The first two are essentially end game, so I don't know why you'd expect the plot to keep moving when the plot is over then--you're at the end and can challenge the final dungeon any time you want. You just have options then. Granted, FFVI is pretty much impossible without doing some of the side quests, but you certainly don't have to do all of them. Feels like there's 50 or something.

FFVII though, there's nothing stopping you from going to North Cave after disc 2. They even have the airship there (which, funny enough, is slower with the jets than with the propellers), so you can go when you want. Sephiroth isn't hard to beat. It would've been worse if they made you go through all the side quests to force some semblance of a plot to them. Mandatory Emerald Weapon and Ruby Weapon? Mandatory Chocobo breeding? No thanks, I'll beat Sephiroth, see the ending, and do that stuff later if I feel like it. And there's a ton to do, so it'd be weird if they made you do it.

I can't believe I forgot to mention the abomination that was the helicopter boss in Alpha Protocol. I generally enjoyed the game a great deal despite its problems, but that fight made me reach previously unsuspected levels of rage. It's actually the reason I have yet to start a second play-through. I think of going through that again (and again and again and again, the first time took me like 15 tries) and I devolve into an incoherent, frothing mess. ARGLE BARGLE ZARF!

Yeah, the reason that happens in the FF6 example is essential because Kefka has already won at that point and you're basically getting ready for a suicide mission. Even if you WIN, the world ain't going back to how it was and all those dead people aren't coming back.

Same kind of deal with FF7: Meteor is almost here and your only option is to ask the planet directly for help, hoping it can forgive humanity for it's rape and pillage. You are LITERALLY asking for a miracle.

FF9 was ALWAYS a sci-fi game... everything was steampunk from the word go.

GasBandit

Staff member
By far the one part of any game that made me throw controllers across the room was The Driver in GTA Vice City. My god, did I hate that whiny little shit. I don't think I ever finished that race without at least a dozen restarts.
Speaking of GTA.

NICO, IS YOUR COUSIN! Why don't you take me bowling?!

Usually it's the final bits of games I love. It always seems like the end of an epic game gets MUCH less time and effort put into it than everything else before it.

Vampire Bloodlines for example. The last "dungeon" is fucking God awful if you aren't a totally combat oriented character and even then, is still God awful.

Mass Effect 3...yeah (though I still hate a huge amount of that game that isn't the ending, like the God awful eavesdropping sidequests).

The entire second disc of Xenogears.

Everything after the twist in Bioshock is much, much, much less polished than before it.

Half-Life once you reach Zen. Just awful.

Any game that lets you specialize in a stealth or sniper class/specialization and then forces you into close quarters combat for sections of the game.

Usually it's the final bits of games I love. It always seems like the end of an epic game gets MUCH less time and effort put into it than everything else before it.

Vampire Bloodlines for example. The last "dungeon" is fucking God awful if you aren't a totally combat oriented character and even then, is still God awful.

Mass Effect 3...yeah (though I still hate a huge amount of that game that isn't the ending, like the God awful eavesdropping sidequests).

Everything after the twist in Bioshock is much, much, much less polished than before it.

Half-Life once you reach Zen. Just awful.
You can actually just stealth past everything but the bosses in Bloodlines.

Any game that lets you specialize in a stealth or sniper class/specialization and then forces you into close quarters combat for sections of the game.
Alternatively, any game where you can go combat heavy and then suddenly forces you into stealth sections that you have to repeat if you fuck up.

And then you have to fight the bosses.
Well the boss in the skyscraper can be beaten easily by shining the lights in his eyes and then just wasting him when he crashes. You even get random stragglers you can kill for ammo/blood.

The other boss is a BIT harder, but you can cut/shoot off it's tentacles to make it a MUCH easier fight. It's shots are also easy to avoid.

This was an early point of contention with Square before the merger with Enix. They chopped that game's second down to its itty bits to get it finished, not realizing what they had on their hands. After that glorious first disc that was probably the full length of many RPGs, with the story not yet done, the second disc's cliff notes format was jarring.

But the music was good!

... this was my defense for a lot of shitty stuff in many RPGs. The entirety of Legend of Mana is a disappointment, but damn if Yoko Shimomura didn't compose a beautiful score. I listen to the music for games I despise to this day, like Final Fantasy VIII and XIII.

Actually, I do think that when you eventually get done with that pain in the ass final dungeon in Xenogears, the last segment of the game is really good and still feels epic despite how poorly told most of disc 2 was.

They fixed this in the Director's Cut version, where it's possible to turn on turrets in the room and they gun him down effortlessly. ALL of the boss bottles are more like that in the director's cut.
I know, I own the director's cut. But the Director's Cut was also built off of old code of the game, so it reintroduces a lot of performance bugs that had already been fixed in the original. Bugs that make it run like shit even though I've got more than enough PC to handle it.

I know, I own the director's cut. But the Director's Cut was also built off of old code of the game, so it reintroduces a lot of performance bugs that had already been fixed in the original. Bugs that make it run like shit even though I've got more than enough PC to handle it.
I happened to have one of the processor configurations that the game could take out your entire computer with.