:3

GasBandit

Staff member
If your cat does show he likes catnip, you may want to watch out and make sure he doesn't steal your gum or the like. (Catnip is a type of mint, so I know a lot of cats that will steal mint gum and eat it, and steal it out of purses even, which isn't good for them. Just, in case you didn't know.)

Good to know. I do just so happen to have mint-based gum in the house. Fortunately I keep it in a drawer, but I know cats are clever and can learn to open them. I'll have to be careful with my discarded gum as well.

Good to know. I do just so happen to have mint-based gum in the house. Fortunately I keep it in a drawer, but I know cats are clever and can learn to open them. I'll have to be careful with my discarded gum as well.
If your cat learns to open the drawer, I want you to re-enact the kitchen scene from Jurassic Park, complete with terror face and screaming inside a cabinet.

figmentPez

Staff member
If your cat does show he likes catnip, you may want to watch out and make sure he doesn't steal your gum or the like. (Catnip is a type of mint, so I know a lot of cats that will steal mint gum and eat it, and steal it out of purses even, which isn't good for them. Just, in case you didn't know.)
I'd say stealing gum is one of the milder reactions to catnip. We couldn't have any in our house for a long time because our cat Jake would start peeing on things if he got any. Other cats we've had have become violent when on catnip.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd say stealing gum is one of the milder reactions to catnip. We couldn't have any in our house for a long time because our cat Jake would start peeing on things if he got any. Other cats we've had have become violent when on catnip.
Well, thankfully, he's been very good about using his litterbox... though today I did notice that, not all that long after playing with his mousie, he came in for some affection, and licked my finger a few times before biting it. No blood but harder than I thought was necessary for playing.

And yeah, he's starting holding the mouse with his front paws and kicking it like crazy with his back paws.

figmentPez

Staff member
Well, thankfully, he's been very good about using his litterbox... though today I did notice that, not all that long after playing with his mousie, he came in for some affection, and licked my finger a few times before biting it. No blood but harder than I thought was necessary for playing.
If the finger biting gets to be an issue, just jam your finger down his throat when he tries to bite it. Enough times of gagging on your finger and he'll get the idea that play like that isn't any fun.

GasBandit

Staff member
If the finger biting gets to be an issue, just jam your finger down his throat when he tries to bite it. Enough times of gagging on your finger and he'll get the idea that play like that isn't any fun.
It's just been the once, and it wasn't long enough to even think to do that... just a fierce "nip" and release.

GasBandit

Staff member
The cat snores. It's kinda cute.

The cat FARTS. (A sausage fell off a slice of pizza, and he beat me to it). Not as cute. Augh gawd open a window.

GasBandit

Staff member
Snoring is a great sign. That means he/she/it is comfortable around you!
Yes, he's really come around. Likes to lay in my lap and watch TV. Purrs when I pick him up. Hasn't bit me but that once - figured out the trick is not to offer him a single finger. He'll lick a hand and nibble a finger - figures you're playing with him.
In fact he prefers not to be alone - follows me from room to room, perches/lounges nearby no matter what I do.

Inexplicably though he's really afraid of pizza boxes. Any time I pick one up or move with it, he runs for a hidey hole. Only when there's a pizza box involved. Very strange.

Bad experience? We had a cat that got freaked out by a falling grandfather clock when she was young. Would avoid that end of the living room at all costs for the rest of her life, couldn't stand loud, metallic noises.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Shadow does this thing where he flops over on the floor and then pulls himself across the carpet with his claws. I am not a fan of this. I wonder how bad I'd get scratched up putting soft caps on his claws.

A lot will depend on his nature but I can put soft-tips on my cats by myself. However, I found that a designated scratching post and a squirt bottle filled with citrus-scented water is much more effective.

GasBandit

Staff member
A lot will depend on his nature but I can put soft-tips on my cats by myself. However, I found that a designated scratching post and a squirt bottle filled with citrus-scented water is much more effective.
Oh, he's got a scratching post, and he loves to scratch the ever living shit out of it. But when he's lounging around on the carpet, sometimes he'll just clamber his way around in a circle without ever getting up.

Also he likes to "knead" my leg or arm when he's resting on me. Ouchy.

BananaHands

Staff member
Oh, he's got a scratching post, and he loves to scratch the ever living shit out of it. But when he's lounging around on the carpet, sometimes he'll just clamber his way around in a circle without ever getting up.

Also he likes to "knead" my leg or arm when he's resting on me. Ouchy.
Depending on the cat, you can trim their nails. I do that with Ratchet over here and she's kind of learned to accept that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had cats that put up with trimming, and I have had cats who would get violent and homicidal about it. YMMV.

--Patrick

What Partick said.
I had a couple of cats who would tolerate nail trimming just fine.
One who hollered bloody murder and squirmed like a greased pig, but once wrapped in a towel you could cut her nails solo.
And then there's the one who if you so much as approach him to pick him up at all he backs into the corner, gets all puffed, and swears up a storm all while slashing at you. His nails get done at the vets office.

GasBandit

Staff member
Welp, just performed a little experiment. Patted him and held one of his front paws. He gave me a look as if to say "I will allow this for the moment, but be VERY careful what your next action is, lest I be forced to shred your tender flesh."

Is there a big difference on how the cats react if you use the electric rotary grinder things versus clippers. *I realise some cats are gonna flip out whenever you start trying to control their toes.*