A.I. is B.S.

AI has been vacuuming up vast swaths of the Internet, and content repositories/creators have been up in arms about that. But what it has also enabled is the creation of a new species of troll that is focused specifically on antagonizing AIs.

Technological Threat (1988)

—Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Today I Learned that Fandom, which hosts a number of video game and movie/TV wikis, now includes a "quick answers" feature that provides AI generated content, which of course is prone to AI hallucinations (aka lies).

figmentPez

Staff member
Google Researchers’ Attack Prompts ChatGPT to Reveal Its Training Data

The "attack" is just asking the "AI" to repeat select words over and over. Apparently this caused the program to eventually start spitting out other data instead. Like confidential personal information, and verbatim dumps of material it was trained on. The behavior has been patched out, by denying requests to repeat words, but I'm guessing that there's lots of other oddball requests that will cause the AI to word vomit.

“In total, 16.9 percent of generations we tested contained memorized PII (Personally Identifiable Information),” researchers wrote, which included “identifying phone and fax numbers, email and physical addresses … social media handles, URLs, and names and birthdays.”

AI image-generators are being trained on explicit photos of children, a study shows

This probably won't come as a surprise to anyone familiar with how the plagiarism machines work. Any system that indiscriminately gathers as many images as it can off of the internet, without any regards to copyright or other legality, is bound to find images of all sorts of abuse, including that of children.
But that just means they'll be very good at avoiding making that sort of content and finding it later on, right? Right?

The only consistency in GM's strategic decisions is that they are all bad ideas that any numbskull could have told them.
the window switches refused to work. And then the infotainment display completely melted down, stuck in an infinite loop of shutting off, turning on, displaying a map centered in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and turning back off again. It did this until we pulled off the freeway and restarted the car. All was well after the reset, but an hour later, it happened again.
As of this writing, our Blazer EV has 23 different issues that need fixing, more than a few of which we consider serious. The car has been at the dealer for two weeks so far, and we still don't know when or how the fixes, repairs or updates will be implemented.
Update, Dec. 22: Chevrolet has officially issued a stop-sale for the 2024 Blazer EV and will be rolling out a major software update to fix the problems we mentioned
Oh and in other AI news:
This reminds me that I should get to finally watching S1m0ne before actual technology gets to where it outstrips the entire premise of the film.

--Patrick

@Dave - Considering the thread this is in, Frank is probably suggesting that AI makes learning how to draw with a "beginner tablet" irrelevant.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
(The art in this ad is AI generated)
Wacom got AI egg on their face.jpg

(source)

To clarify some of what's been circled here: There are random blotches of color. The wide scales on the dragon's belly just kind of merge into back scales instead of following a path up the dragon's neck to it's chin. The fur on the tail is going in the wrong direction, and the tail itself doesn't look like it's connected to the rest of the dragon. The tail end has just random white patches behind it, as do the legs of the dragon. The teeth are inconsistent and seem to be fur like in areas.

Overall, this doesn't look like a dragon a human would draw. It's bad in a way that humans aren't, certainly not humans skilled enough to draw the rest of the dragon that well.

It's not only obviously AI, it's shit obvious AI.

Wizards of the Coast are losing their artists now because they made a pledge to not use AI art, then literally weeks later used AI art.

1704591890664.png

1704591942435.png

Did a human add the cards, angle them and do some light photoshop to make their lighting match? Yes.

Did a human in any way shape or form make that background image? Nah, that shit's full of AI nonsense. The windows make no sense, the bulbs are nonsense, it's all vague nonsense.

Dave

Staff member
I am not savvy enough to tell the difference in most cases between AI generated content and human made content.

I guess having one of your most prolific and well loved artists close up shop (and many other smaller ones) has put alarm bells on at Wizards HQ.

Complete off topic, but man I love Dave Rapoza's work.

1704659821846.png

Last edited:
While WotC is a slimy company I don't trust for a bit, I can imagine this actually happening outside of their control/knowledge. WotC decided they don't want to use Ai imaging (for now) to keep artists and customer goodwill, Marketing outsources some image generation, they get an AI-generated (or assisted) image and don't realize it and use it.
I'm not saying they weren't being deliberately sleazy - it is WotC after all - but in big companies that kind of screw ups happen.

@Dave

Merely an echo of what once was. Some moments in there, I could almost feel it. Some moments, I wanted it to be real.
A number of other moments, however, felt almost like an unknown entity had reanimated George's corpse in order to say Something in his voice. That Something was not always wrong, but it still felt somehow ... inappropriate.

--Patrick

A number of other moments, however, felt almost like an unknown entity had reanimated George's corpse in order to say Something in his voice.
That's literally what happened here though, right? An AI writing comedy and attributing it to someone who's long dead, presumably to get more views and income for whoever controls the AI?

It's gross.

Dave

Staff member
I tried to watch it all and didn’t get as far as I thought I would. The voice was off most of the time. The thoughts were trying to be a flowing stream of consciousness but had some jarring transitions that George wouldn’t have used. And the intermittent applause and cheers were out of place most of the time.

It was a decent listen for the most part and I loved the name of the special, but it didn’t hit for me.

@Dave

Merely an echo of what once was. Some moments in there, I could almost feel it. Some moments, I wanted it to be real.
A number of other moments, however, felt almost like an unknown entity had reanimated George's corpse in order to say Something in his voice. That Something was not always wrong, but it still felt somehow ... inappropriate.

--Patrick
This disgusts me at a primal level and I'm upset that Will Sasso, a comedian I respected, would do this.

Considering the kind of dudes that Sasso hangs out with on podcasts and shit, no shocked.
He's definitely the sort to be this way.

Considering the kind of dudes that Sasso hangs out with on podcasts and shit, no shocked.
He's definitely the sort to be this way.
So, supposedly, the point of these ai projects is to prove the dangers of ai and what lengths they could go to.

Here's the problem with that thinking: if you do something to prove its wrong, you're still doing the wrong thing. This is like failed satire where instead of pointing out the bad of the thing, you just become the thing.

But I personally don't buy that reasoning. I think they just wanted to do the bad thing and don't care about people saying they shouldn't do the bad thing