a Trump vs Clinton United States Presidential Election in 2016

Who do you vote into the office of USA President?

• Total voters
And when the rural working-class whites who put Trump into office continue to suffer, it's on them. Their jobs will continue to leave, their husbands will continue to beat their wives, and their towns will continue to crumble. When the rubes dive into a pile of tainted heroin and eat their pistols, I won't feel sorry for them.
The sad thing is, they still will blame everyone but themselves. It was not that they failed, or Trump failed, it's those damn "blacks and mexicans still ruining everything and not going back to africa and mexico.", and it will be near impossible to point out otherwise while they sit in their own echo chambers.

Honestly, thinking more about it, my fears are less about Trump then about what him being elected means. It means there are a lot of people out there that agree with him. That agree about his feelings on minorities, about his feelings on foriegn countries, about other religions. About how to treat women.

It means there is a substantial amount of people that are now EMBOLDENED by this win.

Did you know that once Brexit passed, hate crimes in England rose 58%? These are people that, because they felt they were the small minority in the social consciousness refrained from doing hate crimes, and once they felt they "won" and their outlook was legitimized, they could just do whatever they wanted to beat up those "foreigners". It took weeks for things to die back down to normal levels when people started to realize that just voting to leave the EU does not mean you get to be a dick to minorities. It was still the same government.

Now imagine what a lot of people here are going to do now that their "values" are seen as justified and popular? Now that the government is filled with people that agree with them? This is scary.
This is my concern as well; KKK on the bridge and related violence is what I expect over at least the next couple months.

GasBandit

Staff member
Our spanish station's program director has the morning show on our Hispanic/Regional Mexican format.

She took 10 calls from spanish speaking hispanics.

Half of them said they voted for trump.

Because they opposed gay marriage and didn't want a woman president - that they wanted women back at home taking care of the kids.

The PD is absolutely agog.

Our spanish station's program director has the morning show on our Hispanic/Regional Mexican format.

Because they opposed gay marriage and didn't want a woman president - that they wanted women back at home taking care of the kids.

I appreciate you trying to cheer me up, but I still think mass-deportations are bad.

Really? I mean, half of the calls is of course an over-representation, but this doesn't surprise me in the last. I work with a lot of Muslim men in my line of work, and I've heard quite a few of them say they'd've voted Trump if given the choice. The y just plain don't think the deportation and racism will be "all that bad" and that it's "mainly" about improving life by making manpower mean something again, sending women back home.

The local news stations took special care to talk to female black trump voters absolutely ecstatic about the results as they came in.

I know a lot of people claim this is all about race or immigration , but at least here in rust belt Michigan it's more about the economy and the perceived damage from trade agreements and outsourcing.

A lot of people are really overlooking how damaging NAFTA has been to the automotive industry and they expect TPP to double down on that.

Sure, race, misogyny, immigration and other things are concerning, but when you can't hold down a job they take a back seat to feeding your family.

Clinton kept saying stuff about jobs, but Obama never made good on his promises (in their eyes) and since clinton supports the trade and climate agreements they know she's not for their jobs either.

So sure, you can go ahead and continue to dismiss these people as backwards, blame shifting, uneducated, racists, but I think you'd be continuing down the same path that led trump to win.

There's a lot of baggage, and hangers on who want the backwards stuff.

But for most trump supporters it's the economy and jobs.

And before you claim Obama created jobs, keep in mind he changed the way jobs are counted and created incentives for employers to turn full time positions into several smaller part time positions. They may be technically employed, but often they are underemployed due to insurance and benefit changes requiring more benefits at lower hours.

Again, that's not the whole story, but pretending they aren't real people with real problems not of their own making will only lead to people misunderestimating them again and again.

Here's one of the biggest stats out of this. Trump won with 1% less votes than Romney got last election. Clinton had 8% less than Obama.

I think that Clinton as the candidate coupled with some very, very elaborate voter suppression (looking at you Ohio) explains that stat.

I see a lot of anger at third party voters but that shit's misplaced.

Last edited:
You think there was voter suppression before? Wait until we have everything be republican controlled. It'll be awhile before a democrat wins again

That really did catch my eye when McMullin got within a percent of Clinton.
I saw them tied at some point last night (somewhere around 30% reporting I think) and got guessing that he'd wind up second.

But I also noticed that cities were regularly reporting later than towns throughout the country. If I'd noticed that earlier - or remembered it from last time, or the time before, or before - then I wouldn't have guessed that.

The fundamental political divide in both our countries shows up as urban/rural(and just suburban)

It's a bit hard to explain what I feel about the results. Disappointed, and sad I guess. I know in the end everything will be fine. This is the first time I've really been worried about what will happen though.

Colbert said it well I thought.

The local news stations took special care to talk to female black trump voters absolutely ecstatic about the results as they came in.

I know a lot of people claim this is all about race or immigration , but at least here in rust belt Michigan it's more about the economy and the perceived damage from trade agreements and outsourcing.

A lot of people are really overlooking how damaging NAFTA has been to the automotive industry and they expect TPP to double down on that.

Sure, race, misogyny, immigration and other things are concerning, but when you can't hold down a job they take a back seat to feeding your family.

Clinton kept saying stuff about jobs, but Obama never made good on his promises (in their eyes) and since clinton supports the trade and climate agreements they know she's not for their jobs either.

So sure, you can go ahead and continue to dismiss these people as backwards, blame shifting, uneducated, racists, but I think you'd be continuing down the same path that led trump to win.

There's a lot of baggage, and hangers on who want the backwards stuff.

But for most trump supporters it's the economy and jobs.

And before you claim Obama created jobs, keep in mind he changed the way jobs are counted and created incentives for employers to turn full time positions into several smaller part time positions. They may be technically employed, but often they are underemployed due to insurance and benefit changes requiring more benefits at lower hours.

Again, that's not the whole story, but pretending they aren't real people with real problems not of their own making will only lead to people misunderestimating them again and again.
The problem is that racism/immigration etc is an easy way to say "it's THEIR fault you don't have jobs" without solving the problem.

Taking Trump's multiple business failures into account, do you believe he can make good on any of those employment intentions or that it's more likely he promises the moon and shows his ass?

This was a very good read: Getting Back To Work The Day After, by Ken White
So: Donald Trump, President-elect of the United States.

I said before that I think he's the worst Presidential candidate in my lifetime, a genuinely awful human being, and an existential threat to America. I'm not going to retcon that in a futile gesture towards cheering anyone up. Nor will I try to cheer you up, if you're upset about it.
But I'm going to ask what we're prepared to do about it, here in the aftermath.

Will we wallow, or fight? Will we proceed with campaign slogans, or with reflection and hard work?

Let's talk about it. (...)
Edit: Google cache version, since his site is getting death-hugged.

The problem is that racism/immigration etc is an easy way to say "it's THEIR fault you don't have jobs" without solving the problem.

Taking Trump's multiple business failures into account, do you believe he can make good on any of those employment intentions or that it's more likely he promises the moon and shows his ass?
Well if he gets rid of parts of the ACA that require more employers to provide healthcare to more part time workers, then job hours will go up, and more jobs will be created. This will reverse a lot of the underemployment that occurred during obamas administration.

If he doesn't sign the TPP then some jobs will continue to exist in the US that would otherwise be farmed out to a foreign country.

I'm not suggesting that he should do these things, but there are a multitude of ways to affect jobs that already align with goals of his platform.

While I'm personally opposed to TTIP (my opinion on TTP is limited since it doesn't affect me and I'm uniformed about it) for a variety of reasons, I still acknowledge that literally every free trade agreement ever in modern history has created, not destroyed, jobs on both ends. Of course, there's often a shift in the type of jobs. Closing American borders and insisting everything is Made in America might create new factory jobs... but won't help regular consumers because no way will the paycheck keep up with rising costs because of more expensive labor.
And I can see how scrapping those parts might destroy the part-time jobs and turn them back into full time; I don't see how that'll magically create jobs worth doing.

I think both @stienman and @Zero Esc are right: it's a little of column A and a little of column B. We have towns all across America that are dying. You can call it trite, but the lyrics of "Allentown" are still true, and that song was written in 1981. It's not that America was ever "great" or perfect, but the majority of Americans could ignore it because didn't need a degree to get a local job and get on with your life. That was something we were supposedly promised, but as Gas can tell you, is NOT a guaranteed right anywhere in our Constitution. And so we have a lot of angry, despondent people who don't want to have to leave their home, and a bunch of politicians (on all sides) leading them by the nose saying, if elected, THEY can bring that that America.

But they can't. That America is gone and it's not coming back. We're not going to suddenly become a coal nation again. We're not going to start accepting less than minimum wage and no health care or retirement to compete with over-seas manufacturing. Unless we can innovate new industries that we can train and employ Americans in, we're stuck. And the elected officials aren't going to help, because the people who are making tons of money from moving things over-seas and beholden to things like oil and warfare, fund their campaigns.

But the officials aren't going to tell you that. Instead, we get things like, "It's not that we shipped away your jobs, it's the immigrants taking YOUR jobs! It's not a lack of stability that lead to your divorce, it's those queers threatening YOUR marriage! Do you remember when all you had to be was white to know your voice was always the most important? Look at all these coloreds, these women, these no-gendered THINGS wanting to be treated the same just because they're here!" It's a lot easier to gang up on your neighbor, a person who you can see and doesn't have any more power than you, than it is to keep track of who is making the back-room deals for your job.

We're aiming justifiable anger at the wrong people. This is why I'm afraid.

It doesn't help when one side keeps calling you a racist bigot, telling you that your concerns and problems don't matter because of your "privilege."

Based on how wrong the forecasts were it would truly have been interesting to see what would have happened if Sanders ran against Trump. Bernie always came across to me as inclusive in a way that Hillary, and many Democrats often do not.