amagurumi and other crochet stuff

Started this one last night and just finished it. Big yarn, and double crochets mean that I worked this up in only 13 rows. By comparison, most of those little stuffed animals are 20 rows + add-ons.

I have a bunch of 'impulse buy' yarn. I got this Yarnspirations color-changing O'Go hat making yarn--it was supposed to have enough yarn for 2 caps. Got home and noticed the instructions were for knitting, not crochet. Bummer!

Not caring a whit, and wanting to eat up some yarn, I grab a beanie tutorial on YouTube. Partway through I realize that this yarn is WAY bigger than her yarn, so I just start adjusting on the fly. I made less rows than her pattern called for. I started decreasing about 4 rows before the end so it's not too loose on my head. It all seemed to work out ok. And I used exactly half of the yarn, so I can make another one in a different color

Could have have been a disaster. But I don't mind how it turned out. Next one will be a little better.
1639180827607.png

Last beanie for a bit..this one is a gift :)
Amigurumi are mostly single crochet, but these beanies are double-crochet, so it's a good way to get practice in on the new stitch while still making something nice to gift someone.

1639681428448.png

So I posted in the Random Crap thread: I met a group of crafty women on NextDoor. Crafty as in "makes crafts" and not as in "spies for a foreign government." They invited me to come over and do crafts with them as a social group on Saturdays. It was exactly what I thought it'd be: A bunch of single women from 40-65 years old, so I got a lot of attention. They all wanted to feed me and several asked for my phone number.

Everyone brings a craft they're working on, but there was no way I was schlepping that blanket out to work on at someone's kitchen table. It would just be too unwieldy. So I started a little polar bear amigurumi while I was there. Things really do fly by when you're chatting and having fun while crafting. I got all of this done in a couple of hours. He only needs the snout and scarf to be finished.

1639870367213.png

There were a couple of ladies there who did crochet, but neither of them did "in the round," which is how all amigurumi are made. they were blown away when I just looped up some thread, and did some free-standing crochet stitches on the loop, and then pulled the free tail end to close it into a hole-free start to my pieces (a "magic loop"). Made me feel super accomplished, even though I've only been doing this about 8 weeks now.

WIP update. This yarn feels like crocheting with a bath robe. It's so thick, one stitch = about 1 inch.

Each of these rows is about 59 stitches across. By comparison, one row on a little amigurumi's about 32 stitches across at it's widest point. That means this stuff is working up *fast*

1639948823133.png

So, someone asked for one of those fur blankets in bi pride colors. So, I ordered "blue bengal", "violet starling" and "pink poodle". I must say, I'm pretty disappointed in these colors. The purple is nice and purple. But the blue isn't blue at all. It's white fur tufted onto a blue yarn, so hardly any blue shows through at all. And the pink? It has a distinct orange-ish cast. I'm glad I'm not charging for this thing. :(

2/3 done. Got one row of 'pink' in before I decided to be done for the night. Will probably finish it up tomorrow. The rest of my yarn for the big blanket showed up today, so I'll probably be working on that for the next week or so.

1640327530156.png

For reference, this is what the blue and pink were supposed to look like...nice muted colors like the purple, but definitely, you know, blue and pink.
1640371357094.png

1640371404759.png

I hate when you order something online and the color looks completely different. Still, I think you're making a nice blanket!
Well, the pink is definitely more 'peach' in real life. And the blue does show a little more than is evident from this picture. The blanket was a gift, and she was a bit sad that the colors didn't turn out as depicted online, but she loved it anyway.

The different colors had different amounts of springiness, so the purple tended to shrink in the middle. I was going to block the piece (pin it to foam board, and steam it) to set all the edges straight, but she showed up on lunch yesterday and didn't want to wait for the procedure because it'd mean she would have to wait another day to take it home :D

1640852887597.png

Bonus pic: 4 skeins of yarn left to go on the king-sized bedspread I'm making for myself. Should be done tomorrow, just in time for winter to actually hit here.

1640852992126.png

Had some rewards vouchers, and Michaels was having a sale...plus they give military discounts. So I made away with this haul for...$1.43
1641100486323.png
1641100502977.png

It seemed like a mighty fine time to start on this cunning hat...

1641100630510.png

I got on a Firefly kick while making it--played the series on the Plex while crocheting. Then I got excited and ordered all this crap from amazon.
1641252810307.png

Guess I'll be going to Dragon*Con (provided they don't cancel it for Covid or somesuch) as a fat Jayne Cobb. First time cosplaying anything other than ren faire gear.

Point of note: My camera brightened up the selfie pics. The colors are a lot more drab, like in the first progress pic I posted above...the yellow is really more of a dirty gold color.

Next project: Fingerless gloves. This one has a couple of new techniques for me to try out, plus I really am getting a kick out of making wearables.

The wrist cuff has single crochets, which I'm well acquainted with, but done in "back loop only" style, which causes that ribbed effect, which I like and is new to me. Where the wrist joins the glove has half-double-crochets, which are new to me, followed by double crochets, which are not. But there's a "3rd loop" in half double crochets, and working into those (instead of the standard top loops) creates two decorative stripes of "V"s near the wrist.

I'm liking this project..it's always fun to make something new and learn something new at the same time. This glove's about 80% done. Should be able to finish it tomorrow and get a start on the right-hand glove.

1641362825959.png