Coronavirus Thread

My niece is supposed to get re-married next month. (the original big wedding was postponed last year) I hope she cancels. I will likely have to carry my 84 year old mother into an infection zone if we still go through with it.

Someone pointed out in a Warhammer group that we're feeding more people to Covid to keep the economy grinding than they feed the Emperor to keep the Golden Throne running (the thing that allows interstellar travel across the galaxy) and it made me sad laugh.

China now claims that their omicron infection came from Canada post.

Ok bud.

Also after a scare yesterday, we are covid free still.

China now claims that their omicron infection came from Canada post.

Ok bud.

Also after a scare yesterday, we are covid free still.
It's worth considering that things like the "Spanish Flu" of 1918 actually got started in Kansas, before decimating large parts of the world.

I'm not saying it HAPPENED. I'm certain China is lying through it's teeth. But... it could have?

Given Canada China relations it's unlikely, it's fantastically unlikely they got it from a piece of mail. Our experts are like, well, there's a non zero chance it's true.

GasBandit

Staff member
I spent half today at the local police department fixing a design flaw in their audio system.

Number of people I saw wearing masks (not including myself): 2
Number of those wearing it properly (over nose as well as chin): 1

Really really glad I got that booster.

I spent half today at the local police department fixing a design flaw in their audio system.

Number of people I saw wearing masks (not including myself): 2
Number of those wearing it properly (over nose as well as chin): 1

Really really glad I got that booster.
And how many of those were N95 masks and not cloth as the cloth ones aren't as effective against Omicron?

My antivaxer brother has it. He is now in a very small and very closed house with his unvaccinated wife and his two unvaccinated daughters.
Sorry to say but it's likely they already all have it. My neighbor's son got it, and was immediately kept in his room with the parents taking every precaution they could to keep the house clean. About 4 days later their daughter showed symptoms, and another four days after that the mother did. The father was the last one to show symptoms. Thankfully, they were all vaccinated, so after about two weeks total between the four of them, they were feeling somewhat back to normal. Omicron is a bitch and spreads extremely easy, so unless the person that has it is willing to always wear a mask, even at home, they are likely going to spread it to those close to them in the same house.

I think I remember reading, before we had ever heard of Covid, that when it came to the flu and the common cold, you were most contagious BEFORE you showed symptoms. Usually the virus was in your system 24-48 hours before you showed any signs, and you could transmit it in those days as well. It's not impossible, but once it's found in a household, it's really, really hard not to pass it around.

I would have to think theyll choose Rogan.
I hate saying it, but yeah. Neil Young is...well, Neil fucking Young and a legend.

But Rogan pulls in massive, consistent numbers with fresh, new content. Even if he's not someone I don't think anyone in their right mind should listen to, from a business point of view, I could see Spotify calling Young's bluff here.

EDIT: I posted these thoughts on Twitter and someone raised a good point: isolated as a one-on-one battle, Rogan probably has the upper hand here. But if more artists jumped on board with Neil Young? Spotify would need to SERIOUSLY reconsider things.

Last edited:
I don’t think Neil really cares if Spotify has his music or not, so he doesn’t really have anything to lose. He doesn’t need the money, and most of the people who want his new music will probably either buy it on vinyl or get it through his archives service. So it’s a pretty easy decision for him to pull his music. Hopefully it at least gets some pressure on Rogan.

Dave

Staff member
I stayed home sick today and my manager is freaking out. Not because we're short handed (which we kind of are) but because I wasn't feeling well when I went in yesterday. Now she's talking about contact tracing and all that. Dude, there are more illnesses than Covid. The symptoms I have don't match up. I mean, of COURSE some of them do because Omicron is like a grab bag of cold/flu symptoms, but that doesn't mean that's what I have. Like Omicron checks boxes for my headaches, runny nose, & body aches, but doesn't take into account stomach issues or diarrhea.

And THIS, folks, is why people are just going to work sick and not telling anyone. Had I kept my mouth shut or just gone in today as well it would have been a pain but not NEARLY the pain it's causing right now. It would have been a pain to ME but now it's a pain for everyone that was working with me.

I stayed home sick today and my manager is freaking out. Not because we're short handed (which we kind of are) but because I wasn't feeling well when I went in yesterday. Now she's talking about contact tracing and all that. Dude, there are more illnesses than Covid. The symptoms I have don't match up. I mean, of COURSE some of them do because Omicron is like a grab bag of cold/flu symptoms, but that doesn't mean that's what I have. Like Omicron checks boxes for my headaches, runny nose, & body aches, but doesn't take into account stomach issues or diarrhea.

And THIS, folks, is why people are just going to work sick and not telling anyone. Had I kept my mouth shut or just gone in today as well it would have been a pain but not NEARLY the pain it's causing right now. It would have been a pain to ME but now it's a pain for everyone that was working with me.
Both diarrhea and stomach issues are possible Covid symptoms, common in some varieties and more rare in others. While you're right both are fairly rare for Omikron, it certainly isn't impossible and there are still non-Omikron infections, too.
This is of course partially a difference because of the way the American sick day system and healthcare system works, but if I had a runny nose and diarrhea and I went to work? I'd be sent home so fast my head would spin, and possibly get a warning that I shouldn't have come in like that.

Of course, I thinkyou should be ableto s tay home if you're sick no matter if it's Covid or not, because, hey, I don't want your diarrhea or throat infection either, thanks, but that's another matter.

No surprise, Spotify chose Rogan.
I understand the short-term money choice, but I do wonder...With the laws trying to put more and more onus on Facebook/Youtube/etc to police the content being put up and making them responsible for illegal use of their service etc - this may blow up in their face. "My father died because of bad information he got from Spotify" may sound ridiculous, but it isn't necessarily that far fetched.