Coronavirus Thread

There was no toilet bowl cleaner to be had at the store today.
So either there's a lotta dirty toilets out there, or someone went on TV and said it cures 'rona.

--Patrick

Corona won't just affect the idiots, but Tide Pod eating and bleach drinking will, so they can just go right on ahead. As long as they do a good job and finish the bottle /packet so they're not a drain on healthcare.

Tried to go to the store just a bit ago to get milk. Upon walking in, there were four people in sight without masks on. Walked right the fuck back out. Not a single damn store anywhere near me is actually enforcing the mask mandates. Looks like it's time to start digging into my powdered milk supply. Was really hoping it wouldn't come to that so soon.

figmentPez

Staff member
FDA issues warning to not ingest hand sanitizer... Even if it's food flavored and comes in a food container... https://arstechnica.com/science/202...and-sanitizer-even-if-its-sold-in-a-beer-can/
The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday issued a warning to consumers about hand sanitizers that are flavored and packaged in food and drink containers, which increases the risk of people accidentally drinking them, particularly children.

According to the warning, the agency has found hand sanitizers with flavorings such as chocolate and raspberry, and in packaging including beer cans, water bottles, juice bottles, vodka bottles, and children’s snack pouches—some of which were marketed with cartoons aimed at children.

figmentPez

Staff member
THANK YOU! If they meant different scents that's one thing, but flavors assumes one would be ingesting them.
My understanding is that the line between flavoring and fragrence is often a blurred one, since a large part of flavor is scent.

Why would you even do that? The world needs hand sanitizer and will buy every scrap of it they can lay their hands on. You don't have to make them cutesy or marketable. Just sell the sanitizer.
The part that amazes me is that Bath & Body Works have made this a cornerstone of their brand for something like 30 years, and despite being cutesy and marketable, I don't remember them having to make an announcement not to eat them. Have we really gotten stupider, or are people *still* buying Trump's bullshit about ingesting to prevent Covid?
(I'm not going to include young kids in this is if it's packaged to look like food.)

I am just fucking disgusted that we have to keep saying this because Trumpers can't figure out that our president is a fucking grifter.

In other, "Why are we doing this?"-related news, our schools are supposed to open for hybrid learning in 2 weeks. Our superNintendointendent sent out an email yesterday that our town/district/whatever has had 60 teachers either take retirement, a leave of absence, or taken the option to teach online due to their own children required to remote learn. Don't get me wrong, I fully support those teachers taking those options. But the email goes on to say that means they need to fill 43 spots with at least a proctor for in-class supervision.

To recap: 43 empty teaching spots, two weeks to fill them.

The 1st day of school:

In other, "Why are we doing this?"-related news, our schools are supposed to open for hybrid learning in 2 weeks. Our superNintendointendent sent out an email yesterday that our town/district/whatever has had 60 teachers either take retirement, a leave of absence, or taken the option to teach online due to their own children required to remote learn. Don't get me wrong, I fully support those teachers taking those options. But the email goes on to say that means they need to fill 43 spots with at least a proctor for in-class supervision.

To recap: 43 empty teaching spots, two weeks to fill them.

The 1st day of school:
In our district, they are going full re-open September 7th. I predict they will last, at most, two weeks before heading back to Online Only.

I don't understand... That is, I do understand, but I can't comprehend, why parole keep being so short sighted and wilfully blind.
Europe is far from covid-free, and obviously we won't be, any time soon. But limiting yourself all together for just a few weeks would allow you to reopen afterwards and probably actually stay open
These idiots are solely responsible for all measures staying half-baked and therefore ineffective.
If, in a fantasy world, literally everyone would stay indoors for 3 weeks all together, covid would be all but eliminated. If 70% of the people were to stay at home for 3 weeks... Well, you've seen what that does. Next to nothing.

I don't understand... That is, I do understand, but I can't comprehend, why parole keep being so short sighted and wilfully blind.
Europe is far from covid-free, and obviously we won't be, any time soon. But limiting yourself all together for just a few weeks would allow you to reopen afterwards and probably actually stay open
These idiots are solely responsible for all measures staying half-baked and therefore ineffective.
If, in a fantasy world, literally everyone would stay indoors for 3 weeks all together, covid would be all but eliminated. If 70% of the people were to stay at home for 3 weeks... Well, you've seen what that does. Next to nothing.
Keep in mind that the same people who are actively refusing to take any precautions for covid19 are also cheering on a 17 year old gunman for killing protesters in Kenosha, WI, and are actively pushing for civil war. My psychiatrist once told me that there's a simple cure for the problem, which is related to deeply-seated personality disorder, but that it's so abhorrent that it will never be used; .45 ACP.

Keep in mind that the same people who are actively refusing to take any precautions for covid19 are also cheering on a 17 year old gunman for killing protesters in Kenosha, WI, and are actively pushing for civil war. My psychiatrist once told me that there's a simple cure for the problem, which is related to deeply-seated personality disorder, but that it's so abhorrent that it will never be used; .45 ACP.
I think that might make me consider a new therapist

My psychiatrist once told me that there's a simple cure for the problem, which is related to deeply-seated personality disorder, but that it's so abhorrent that it will never be used; .45 ACP.
That seems like a pretty horrible thing for a therapist to say, even as a joke.

figmentPez

Staff member
The latest from Trumpers who don't understand science? The CDC released a report that 94% of COVID-19 related deaths had some form of co-morbidity, so morons are shouting "ONLY 6%!" and trying to claim that there have been less than 10,000 deaths from COVID-19 in the US.

Nearly half of Americans have high blood pressure, same goes for obesity. 53% of those hospitalized for COVID-19 had high blood pressure, and about 60% of those hospitalized were obese or severely obese, if I read the statistics correctly.

Nearly 7.7% of Americans have asthma, 8.4% of COVID-19 deaths had asthma.

Basically, the number of people hospitalized for COVID-19 who had some other health problem is not that far off from the percentages of the general population who have a pre-existing condition.

If anything, the 6% figure should be absolutely terrifying, since it means even people who are in otherwise perfect health can require hospitalization, and even die, from COVID-19.

The latest from Trumpers who don't understand science? The CDC released a report that 94% of COVID-19 related deaths had some form of co-morbidity, so morons are shouting "ONLY 6%!" and trying to claim that there have been less than 10,000 deaths from COVID-19 in the US.

Nearly half of Americans have high blood pressure, same goes for obesity. 53% of those hospitalized for COVID-19 had high blood pressure, and about 60% of those hospitalized were obese or severely obese, if I read the statistics correctly.

Nearly 7.7% of Americans have asthma, 8.4% of COVID-19 deaths had asthma.

Basically, the number of people hospitalized for COVID-19 who had some other health problem is not that far off from the percentages of the general population who have a pre-existing condition.

If anything, the 6% figure should be absolutely terrifying, since it means even people who are in otherwise perfect health can require hospitalization, and even die, from COVID-19.
TBH, this is what you should use to follow that up.

figmentPez

Staff member
As long as they're mostly poor/minorities its nbd.
That's not how herd immunity (without a vaccine) works. Unless you mean they're hoping they can maximize the amount of poor/minority deaths by pushing this ludicrous proposal now, and then switching over to a vaccine once it's available, but I don't think there's any reason to think they have that much control over the situation, not when so many Trumpers are also anti-vaxx.

I mean it definitley is hurting poor people and minorities more. That means that makes it ok for trump. He doesn't care if his base dies as long as he still wins.

Remember that "winning" is not about efficacy so much as eliminating as many Libs as possible. No amount of "friendly-fire" deaths is too many so long as the amount of dead Libs exceeds their own.

--Patrick