Coronavirus Thread

Can anyone explain to me how the whole mask thing seems to be spreading worldwide? We just got reports today of an English duo refusing to wear a mask on a plane, which started a brawl, and now there are reports of an Australian woman possibly bashing a cop's head into concrete over being asked to wear a mask. What the hell is going on.

Can anyone explain to me how the whole mask thing seems to be spreading worldwide? We just got reports today of an English duo refusing to wear a mask on a plane, which started a brawl, and now there are reports of an Australian woman possibly bashing a cop's head into concrete over being asked to wear a mask. What the hell is going on.
There have been a few Karens here in Oz but they are almost universally ridiculed. Masks were not required until recently in Victoria and not required anywhere else in the country right now.

Looks like the Sturgis bike rally will go ahead as scheduled this year. :Leyla:

Thank goodness Mountainfest had already been canceled for other reasons a year ago.

People are freaking out because they feel like they have absolutely no control over their lives right now, they don't trust their governments to act in their best interest, and years of being in the conservative news bubble has taught them to reject the opinion of actual experts in favor of people who reinforce their expectations. More to the point, as was pointed out in another thread, the people who won't wear masks? It's about asserting their dominance over others and owning the libs. Even if it gets them killed. Because they know their "friends" will turn on them the moment they show a moment of weakness and ruin their day.

Living in a conservative town is a lot like being stuck in elementary school, forever, in that people will ruin your day and your life purely for entertainment.

I'm beyond caring at this point: mask laws should mandatory and those that violate them should be issued fines until they comply. Take away their drivers license. Let them fight the cops for once if they feel so raw about it.

figmentPez

Staff member
I have no idea: Thousands march in Berlin against coronavirus curbs

“Our demand is to return to democracy,” said one protester who declined to give his name. “The mask that enslaves us must go.”

America's biggest export is our particular brand of stupidity.

(Extreme) right parties are happily using the exported crazy conspiracy theory "information" from the USA to stoke the flames of anti-establishmentarianism, anger, frustration, weariness, lack of control,...etc that are of course present. Our right-wing party was all in on "Law and Order! Curfew! Everyone masks, obligated! Heavy fines! Grrrr!" a few weeks ago and has completely pivoted to "Masks are bad, limiting our freedom, government overreach, overblown reaction, inproportionate, blahblah". The left, on the other hand, is complaining more about the curfews being undemocratic, unconstitutional (for our constitutions), etc etc.
They really are just following the Republican lead - because that's where the money is, and it's a good way of capturing a large part of the frustration vote.

It looks like I get to go to the hospital today.

I'm ok, so don't worry about me. I'm just following doctors orders. If I haven't shown any improvement I'm to go to the ER, and I haven't shown any improvement, so...

Can anyone explain to me how the whole mask thing seems to be spreading worldwide?
Once you accrue a certain critical mass of like-minded thinkers, and they start validating one another, then the odds of those thought crimes getting translated into action goes up, and that's gonna be a problem when they start yelling, "Who's with me?!"
We had a sort of discussion about this over in this thread started seven years ago by @Chad Sexington. Some excerpts:
We probably have evolved to be prosocial towards our "kin" as well as our "mates", both of which I think are flexible terms. Kin could mean one's children, extended family, neighbor, tribe, etc. or it might just be one's self in the cases of people that recognize no kin. [...] But I think there is a flip side to this coin. Prosocial behavior is most beneficial when applied towards one's kin and one's mate but can be harmful when applied towards a stranger or a potential threat (such as a competitor from another tribe, a neighbor that might steal one's mate, or an intruder that might kill one's kin). So I would argue that we also have a propensity to be antisocial towards those that we view as not our kin or our mate. This creates a strong in-group/out-group polarization in which we will react positively ("good") towards loved ones and negatively ("bad") towards the "other".
Human beings are slavering monsters, barely held in check by a social contract which has built an unstable tower ever higher into the heavens, and one day it will all come crashing down. As one must teach a child not to hit, so are we indoctrinated into what makes a society possible. But to paraphrase the Joker, we're all just one really bad day away from snapping back to our true, uninhibited selves.
One would assume that evolution would apply on the somewhat macro scale as well. So in a situation where humanity is spread thin across the countryside, evolution would select the independent, savage, antisocial individuals. In situations where large numbers of people are forced together regularly, it would be the gregarious, tolerant, social individuals who will survive.

When spread thin, the social ones will fade since they get no support/reinforcement.
When packed tightly, the antisocial ones will fade because the social ones will gang up and eliminate them.
The requirement to PUBLICLY DISPLAY a prominent badge of conformant solidarity is fanning the smoldering antisocial part of these people's brains into a full blaze. Then, like a cicada waking from a decade-long slumber or a locust entering its swarming phase, they are broadcasting their "mating call," they are receiving a like-minded reply, and their behavior changes from mere sublimated passive-aggressive tendencies to full-on overt aggressive-aggressive "You'll never make ME wear no mask/microchip/barcode/Mark of The Beast!" Karenesque behavior.

The irony of the fact that they are banding together to amplify their message of individualism is not lost on me.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
The requirement to PUBLICLY DISPLAY a prominent badge of conformant solidarity is fanning the smoldering antisocial part of these people's brains into a full blaze. Then, like a cicada waking from a decade-long slumber or a locust entering its swarming phase, they are broadcasting their "mating call," they are receiving a like-minded reply, and their behavior changes from mere sublimated passive-aggressive tendencies to full-on overt aggressive-aggressive "You'll never make ME wear no mask/microchip/barcode/Mark of The Beast!" Karenesque behavior.
40 years ago:
Dude: "I kind of want to have sex with a toaster."
Everyone around him: "Man, you're weird. Get some psychological help."
Dude: "Oh, I guess I AM weird. Maybe I SHOULD."

Today:
Dude: "Hey Google, I want to have sex with a toaster."
Internet: "Here is a list of 12 online communities relating to sex with toasters and other household appliances."
Dude: "I AM VALIDATED AND MY ABERRANCY IS REINFORCED"

40 years ago:
Dude: "I kind of want to have sex with a toaster."
Everyone around him: "Man, you're weird. Get some psychological help."
Dude: "Oh, I guess I AM weird. Maybe I SHOULD."

Today:
Dude: "Hey Google, I want to have sex with a toaster."
Internet: "Here is a list of 12 online communities relating to sex with toasters and other household appliances."
Dude: "I AM VALIDATED AND MY ABERRANCY IS REINFORCED"
To be fair, I blame Battlestar Galactica.

Dave

Staff member
What I want to know is, if you spread the disease from droplets of spit in the air, why do they have to brain-rape me with a Q tip to get results?

GasBandit

Staff member
What I want to know is, if you spread the disease from droplets of spit in the air, why do they have to brain-rape me with a Q tip to get results?
Because they're not testing for the virus, they're testing for you having antibodies to the virus. And those are a lot harder to get at.

Because that's how they implant the microchip.

(My actual guess is that while it can spread from breath, you can't get a concentrated sample of mucus or whatnot from breath on a Q-tip)

It's astonishingly uncomfortable, no? I was talking to a doctor who said "If their eyes aren't watering, you didn't do it right".

Dave

Staff member
The first side there was like a blockage or something they had to push through and it fucking hurt! The second side just slid right on up. I drove away nose running and tears streaming down my face. Very much not a pleasant experience.

The alternative test has them swabbing both nostrils and throat all with the same swab, so that isn't really a lot more pleasant.

The first side there was like a blockage or something they had to push through and it fucking hurt! The second side just slid right on up. I drove away nose running and tears streaming down my face. Very much not a pleasant experience.
I didn't have any problem with the test, they even said I was one of the easiest people to test they've ever had.

I assume the reason is because since it’s mucous’ actual job to capture and hold the stuff that goes in and out of your nose, they’re just grabbing a hunk of it to comb though it looking for whatever it is they’re after.

Really wish the tool for doing so was something other than these, though:

1596554142855.jpeg

—Patrick

Antibody test -> blood
Viral test -> mucus
They go so far back because they want to have lining from allllll over the passage between nose and throat, since a mild infection may only present the virus regionalized.

Our school just changed to online learning through September. Probably because the state dept of health said that school should shut down if there is more than 5 cases.

Every public place needs to hang a sign that says "We have aerosolized the Bill Gates microchip, and it is sprayed here at regular intervals. Fail to wear your mask at your own risk." :D

Even here in Liberal, Commie, New York, were still pushing ahead with schools. And students aren't required to wear masks. At least I don't live with a teacher or anything* or I'd be truly fucked.**

* I do live with a teacher.
** I am truly fucked.

Even here in Liberal, Commie, New York, were still pushing ahead with schools. And students aren't required to wear masks. At least I don't live with a teacher or anything* or I'd be truly fucked.**

* I do live with a teacher.
** I am truly fucked.
Assuming you live with that teacher voluntarily, I mean, I know plenty of teachers where I wouldn't mind getting truly f... Uuhhh, oh, that's not what you mean. Sorry.