Coronavirus Thread

153 new cases in NS today.

2 new deaths, bringing our total to 69.

They did not know they had covid before they died. They died alone in their homes.

Another record setting day.

More restrictions.

Province borders now closed to all but the minutia.

Only permitted reasons to leave the house are for essential work, medical or essential shopping and each house must designate a single dedicated shopper.

More restrictions.

Only permitted reasons to leave the house are for essential work, medical or essential shopping and each house must designate a single dedicated shopper.
And they're not ruling out the possibility of curfews in the (near?) future.

It's pretty clear that spending is the only way to defeat this thing. Pay people to stay home for two weeks. Nobody on the streets. And community spread will cease.

And I dorgot, schools likely to be shut down until fall.

Man, it's weird how different parts of the world are on different parts of the timeline now. We're opening up hospitality sector tomorrow, and removing the curfew we've had since November. Too early, in my opinion, but anyway, our numbers are dropping, R = 0.89 or something.... If people don't overdo it and do stupid shit, we're likely to....Oh who am I kidding of course everyone is going to run out and do the dumbest shit possible. Oh well.

More restrictions.

Fuck, our EXTREME measures are still less.

The CBC had to lay out the new measures for them out because the government contradicted itself multiple times.

Just the shittest place in Canada.

Big example, these are the fucking rules for churches

1620430613362.png

And, not sure about anywhere else, but around here it can take 6+ months to get an opening for child care. If you can afford it.

A lot of people now have permanent health problems that would keep them from working the ridiculously harsh conditions in a restaurant.
Not to mention that a place with the reputation "Everyone that worked here got COVID" might have a hard time finding new employees.

--Patrick

Alright, see, Biden clearly made a mistake stopping our cheap illegal labor at the border! He's letting all the rapists and thieves in and stopping all the good exploitables!

And, not sure about anywhere else, but around here it can take 6+ months to get an opening for child care. If you can afford it.
And yet my wife is making just above minimum wage at her child-care job - and she's the associate director.

figmentPez

Staff member
And in other shitty news related to the pandemic:

Assholes got pets as toys to play with while they were bored, and now are offloading them.

Okay, it's probably more complicated than that. There's been a lot of people dying, and others becoming disabled, and others losing the financial ability to care for pets, so not all the pets going to shelters are just from people who shouldn't have gotten them in the first place, but I'm grumpy and want to rant.

So the news in Taiwan recently is that a few days ago a pilot came flying in while infected with COVID, and he passed it on to some other employees of the airline as well as some people in the hotel he was quarantining at. These infections happened due to lax implementation of quarantining procedures, and the relevant asses have been kicked. Furthermore, the government's anti-pandemic systems went into overdrive to contain the spread, eg locking down and disinfecting the affected areas, tracking everyone who ever had contact with anyone in the hotel or the airline, etc.

However, yesterday a whopping seven new cases popped up on the other side of the island, and right now no lines can be drawn between the new infections and the cluster infection from the pilot. This means there's a source or sources of infections somewhere in the community and we don't know who or where it is. Given that less than 1% of the population have been vaccinated so far, this is making people rather nervous. New measures have been announced, such as all events involving more than 100 people must be canceled (my interpreter friends are all whining about this, because suddenly all of their cases for May and June have been wiped clean).

Just yesterday, SC's Foghorn Dumbass of a governor ordered an end to mask requirements for schools and local governments. So today, we had a hastily thrown-together homeroom session so students could bring in their written notes, signed by their parents/guardians, saying they no longer were going to wear a mask. This puts teachers, staff, and other kids in real danger of having covid passed to them by one of the unclean ones. We have 20 or so days left in the school year. Why do we need to lift the mandates now? It makes no sense.

I hate this stupid fucking state.

I find it honestly surprising that in the famously litigious USA, someone whose kid got sick from another in school after this kind of mandate hasn't tried to sue everyone involved for reckless endangerment and getting their kid killed.
If my kid got covid because you're kids refused to wear a mask and was sitting next to him? Duck you.

I find it honestly surprising that in the famously litigious USA, someone whose kid got sick from another in school after this kind of mandate hasn't tried to sue everyone involved for reckless endangerment and getting their kid killed.
If my kid got covid because you're kids refused to wear a mask and was sitting next to him? Duck you.
Probably because without contact tracing BEFORE it happened, you'd have everyone pointing at everyone else and no real way to compel evidence to figure out who brought it in.