Coronavirus Thread

Jun got her 2nd shot on Tuesday. Yesterday morning she got up around 11am feeling awful. As I went and got ready for clinic, I hear a faint shouting from the far end of the house and found Jun fallen, laying on the floor. She passed out on her way out of the bathroom and didnt remember falling. I took her to the urgent care center who then told me to take her to the emergency room. I took her to the ER where she was seen rather quickly. Over 5 hours and a few blood tests, the ER doc concluded she had the extreme end of the reaction spectrum to the vaccine and had a high fever, was severely dehydrated and had a blood glucose level of 174. They gave her IV fluids and some IV tramadol after doing an EKG to make sure the heart was ok. We eventually left with the aid of a wheelchair. I ended up burying her in Chinese snacks and Pedialyte for the rest of the evening and took care of her through the night. Good news is she's feeling a lot better today, if not still a bit deflated. She's in way better shape than I am and while I felt fairly ill, it didn't knock me out like it did for her.

Dang, that's the most severe reaction I've heard of (outside of blood clots). Sorry to hear that. It's good that she's doing better.

Meanwhile in Cape Breton, the Florida of Nova Scotia, an anti-mask moron threatened people getting covid tested at the hockey rink with a knife.

Until a 6'6" 260lb man covered in death metal tattoos, who was at the Tim Hortons drive through noticed, jumped out of his truck, ripped off his shirt and chased the guy away.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Man, I thought I was late to the vaccination party... turns out that 3 people I work very closely with haven't even gotten their first one yet. And two of them are making noise like they won't ever. Another went on an anti-vax diatribe right in the middle of the office, talking about blood clots until I shot him down with the fact that the rate of getting blood clots from the vaccine is still lower than the rate of getting blood clots from the virus itself. This has not been a good day for my opinion of my coworkers.

First dose booked now for the 25th. As a phlebotomist, Sarah got hers at the end of February, shes just now received notice they'll be booking for her second dose soon.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think you’re being optimistic here. Anti-vax=anti-facts. Your “facts” probably have no power over his opinions.

—Patrick
He might not have changed his mind, but as Frank said, he did stop spouting his ridiculous disinformation. Which is enough for me.

So the news in Taiwan recently is that a few days ago a pilot came flying in while infected with COVID, and he passed it on to some other employees of the airline as well as some people in the hotel he was quarantining at. These infections happened due to lax implementation of quarantining procedures, and the relevant asses have been kicked. Furthermore, the government's anti-pandemic systems went into overdrive to contain the spread, eg locking down and disinfecting the affected areas, tracking everyone who ever had contact with anyone in the hotel or the airline, etc.

However, yesterday a whopping seven new cases popped up on the other side of the island, and right now no lines can be drawn between the new infections and the cluster infection from the pilot. This means there's a source or sources of infections somewhere in the community and we don't know who or where it is. Given that less than 1% of the population have been vaccinated so far, this is making people rather nervous. New measures have been announced, such as all events involving more than 100 people must be canceled (my interpreter friends are all whining about this, because suddenly all of their cases for May and June have been wiped clean).
Seven cases one day, fifteen the next, twenty nine today. The virus is being very considerate with how it's neatly doubling each day.

People in Taiwan are very nervous now. Given that we've been accustomed to our daily lives going on with virtually no changes or disruptions over the last year, there's a sense of "Oh my god I don't know what to do in a pandemic" going on right now.

Also, apparently one of the sources of infection was a "tea house" in Taipei. I put "tea house" in quotes because no one is quite sure what goes on in there. The Minister of Health and Welfare just said euphemistically that "there was close person-to-person contact" in there, so now everyone's imagination is running wild.

So I setup so they would automatically schedule me for my second vax shot after my first. Got the date in and... it's my wife's birthday. Well shit.

CDC is now saying fully vaccinated people don’t need masks anymore, for most situations. Our state is now lifting the mask mandate as well.

I hadn’t really thought about what it would look like getting back to “normal”. I don’t know that I’m ready to stop wearing a mask in public yet. It seems a bit early still, and just the thought of it makes me nervous.

Not to mention all the anti-maskers who are just going to skip the vaccine and call this a win...
Yes, but the CDC is basically taking a "If you get sick, it'll be your own damn fault for not getting the vaccine" stance.

Which is great, until the virus mutates in these dumbass communities of anti-vaxxers and starts to come for all of us again...

Seven cases one day, fifteen the next, twenty nine today. The virus is being very considerate with how it's neatly doubling each day.

People in Taiwan are very nervous now. Given that we've been accustomed to our daily lives going on with virtually no changes or disruptions over the last year, there's a sense of "Oh my god I don't know what to do in a pandemic" going on right now.

Also, apparently one of the sources of infection was a "tea house" in Taipei. I put "tea house" in quotes because no one is quite sure what goes on in there. The Minister of Health and Welfare just said euphemistically that "there was close person-to-person contact" in there, so now everyone's imagination is running wild.
Apparently I jinxed it, because we had 180 new cases today.

We got an email from our Little League to try to arrive early for our game today because a protest is scheduled at the park next to the Little League fields. Protest...? What the hell would people around here need to protest? ....Oh. These fucking idiots:

You know this Klan rally is in good hands when the woman hosting it says
I'm sick and tired of being embarrassed in public for the past year for not wearing a mask... I'm tired of being called 'crazy' here in New Jersey
Lady, mask or no mask, I don't think that's stopping.

UPDATE: As we drove by, there was righteous anger and furious Trump flags... from all 20 of them. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
We don’t have a miscellaneous sports thread so this goes here: In Alabama today if you went and got the vaccine, you got to drive Talladega.

Whelp, that's that, Taiwan's no longer a safe haven of COVID-free bliss. We reported 206 new local infections today, and that's likely lower than the actual number given that we don't have very high testing capabilities. Approximately 10% of those tested were positive, so if we extrapolate that to the wider population, we're likely looking at thousands of actual infections.

So Taiwan's epidemic prevention now has shifted from stopping any possible infection at its source (because that barrier has failed) to a percentage-based strategy. Companies are encouraged to start remote work, schools are going partially remote, a bunch of public facilities and entertainment businesses are now closed, mask mandates when you're outdoors, etc. Let's see how well they work.

Whelp, that's that, Taiwan's no longer a safe haven of COVID-free bliss. We reported 206 new local infections today, and that's likely lower than the actual number given that we don't have very high testing capabilities. Approximately 10% of those tested were positive, so if we extrapolate that to the wider population, we're likely looking at thousands of actual infections.

So Taiwan's epidemic prevention now has shifted from stopping any possible infection at its source (because that barrier has failed) to a percentage-based strategy. Companies are encouraged to start remote work, schools are going partially remote, a bunch of public facilities and entertainment businesses are now closed, mask mandates when you're outdoors, etc. Let's see how well they work.

Dave

Staff member
From my work:

With this significant health guidance update, we are expecting that Bellevue University will return to in-person working and learning on campus by August 1, 2021.

From my work:

With this significant health guidance update, we are expecting that Bellevue University will return to in-person working and learning on campus by August 1, 2021.
So's my school. 1st and 2nd years will attend all classes on campus, and 3rd and 4th years will have full-time clinical hours.