Coronavirus Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
We just got notified today that the company policy is now nobody who is vaccinated has to wear a mask, unless they are on site at a customer site, just to avoid panicking/pissing off customers. Non-vaccinated employees still have to mask up everywhere, in the office, in company vehicles, etc.

And HR is requiring being sent a copy of your vaccination card/record before they consider you applicable.

Surprisingly reasonable for Texas.

It feels REAL weird to fight the muscle memory of putting on my mask every time I leave my desk.

Honestly, even after I'm fully vaccinated - which at this rate, won't be for another month or more - I'll probably still wear my mask for awhile. It's not that I don't trust the experts saying it's okay. It's that I don't trust the anti-mask/anti-vax idiots running around out there.

From my work:

With this significant health guidance update, we are expecting that Bellevue University will return to in-person working and learning on campus by August 1, 2021.
We are returning in-person in September and requiring the vaccine (within the limits of the law) for students, staff, and faculty.

nobody who is vaccinated has to wear a mask [...] just to avoid panicking/pissing off customers.
This is stupid. Are they going to get scared and secretly call up one of the many other AV/Automation installers they have on contract behind y'all's back?

--Patrick

As someone who has a persistant cough due to acid damage on my esophagus, I fully plan to just... never stop wearing the mask. It certainly helps that it means I won't have to consciously force myself to smile to strangers.

GasBandit

Staff member
This is stupid. Are they going to get scared and secretly call up one of the many other AV/Automation installers they have on contract behind y'all's back?

--Patrick
For the next project they have, they might do exactly that. Of course, they always come crawling back because the other companies are absolute shit for quality... but our execs are terrified of leaving even one wooden penny on the table.

We just got notified today that the company policy is now nobody who is vaccinated has to wear a mask, unless they are on site at a customer site, just to avoid panicking/pissing off customers. Non-vaccinated employees still have to mask up everywhere, in the office, in company vehicles, etc.

And HR is requiring being sent a copy of your vaccination card/record before they consider you applicable.

Surprisingly reasonable for Texas.

It feels REAL weird to fight the muscle memory of putting on my mask every time I leave my desk.
Wow, my company said they can't even ask if someone is vaccinated.

I don't mean to pick on Alberta, but I just don't understand them.

Just announced today,
20 cases/100k Alberta sends all kids back to school
8 cases /100k Nova Scotia extends at home learning to the end of the school year

2 more deaths, 3rd day in a row of only double digit cases, lock down extended at least two more weeks

But, I will pick on Ontario.

You can now spend $40 and get a rapid test at the drugstore. Doug, those are free here and we're encouraged to get them weekly. Hmm, I should get one this week, it's been a week since my last nostril flossing.

... Making speed tests free, great idea.
Motivating people to get them weekly for no reason whatsoever? Just sounds like a way to make tests scarcer for those who need it

... Making speed tests free, great idea.
Motivating people to get them weekly for no reason whatsoever? Just sounds like a way to make tests scarcer for those who need it
There are 2 types of tests in the province. Rapid Tests like the ones described are just that, rapid. You get a result in 30 minutes. And they are for people who have no symptoms. If you test positive you get a phone call and you and everyone around you gets sent to the front of the line for the PCR (full scale laboratory test) which gets results in 72 hours.

If you have any symptoms you can schedule a PCR test.

By adopting this strategy we've found 20% of our cases before symptoms appear.

The rapid tests are all volunteer driven and low tech (medically) and I think we have enough of them on hand to test everyone in the province 8 times. We don't have the manpower to test that many though, we average about 10k per day. And 6k to 15k of the PCR.

And as I am the designated person who gets to leave the house, I get nostril flossed.

Last edited:
Just got rapid tested. Negative again. Took 11 minutes at the site, and 31 total minutes to get my result.

Currently on minute 18 of waiting for my take out order....

My boss has agreed that both leggings and my Pika pants are real pants. (In relation to a video call bingo game but I have chosen to believe it’s an every day ruling).

I have a remote meeting tomorrow. I'm trying to angle my camera upwards so that I can get away with not having to wear a shirt either.

This is the premier of Alberta bragging.

Holy fucking shit.

(Alberta's still one of the hottest Covid spots in North America)

I'm sure that guy's a PoS, but not-morons here made a similar point when the hospitalizations started to be primarily young people (though the better part was when the numbers in general went down).

The hell? I thought they needed to be like 3 weeks apart? Or, is that the minimum time?
It's been that way nearly as long as the vaccines have been available here. Sarah is a phlebotomist, sort of got fast-tracked because of it, and received her first dose at the end of February. She has only just received word they're calling for the 2nd within the month so even in that time frame it's not changed significantly.