Coronavirus Thread

While out doing my shopping, I got to hear the following: "What do you mean I gotta wear a mask? Is this one o' them Democrat stores?"
Yes, really.

--Patrick

The Texas Supreme Court attempted to screw us today by temporarily overturning the lawsuit that had negated Abbot's "No Mask Mandates" EO, basically making it so once again, local governments and ISDs could no longer carry out mask mandates, contact tracing, etc. Thankfully for my region, they have already said they are going to continue with mask mandates until things actually start getting litigated, rather then following the EO, as the EO may still be fully overturned (as the stay, again, was only marked as temporary, likely to give Abbot a small win). The fact local governments are having to fight the state government that sits in our own damn city is really getting absurd. Really getting sick of this state and all the posturing.

Mr. Z was mentioning earlier that there are schools here in NJ that are already announcing they're going to have remote schooling again. I have NO clue what our local schools are going to do. Sadly, I'm in Karen Kountry, so I'm hoping they'll at least enforce masks again. I will say that during the last month of school this past year they tried having a full day schedule with lunch served but keeping the kids socially distanced the whole time (1/2 the class would eat in the cafeteria, 1/2 would eat in the classroom). I'm guessing this was because they assumed this could be a possibility once fall rolled around.

Dave

Staff member
A Reno, Nevada parent sent their child to school after a positive COVID test.

"More than 80 students were potentially exposed to COVID-19 on the first day of class in Reno, Nevada, on Monday after a parent sent their child to Marce Herz Middle School, despite both the parent and child receiving a positive COVID-19 test just two days earlier, Washoe County Health District officials said."
Remember when people were charged when they knowingly exposed others to AIDS/HIV? Yeah. Shit needs to happen here, too.

GasBandit

Staff member
This sunday is my grandfather's 85th birthday. There's a party, at a restaurant, and my family is still going through with it. I think this is a bad idea. I'm vaccinated, my grandfather is vaccinated, but it just seems like a huge risk to me. But I'm torn between that and the risk of alienating them for opposing it too stridently.

This sunday is my grandfather's 85th birthday. There's a party, at a restaurant, and my family is still going through with it. I think this is a bad idea. I'm vaccinated, my grandfather is vaccinated, but it just seems like a huge risk to me. But I'm torn between that and the risk of alienating them for opposing it too stridently.
Is there a reason they couldn't just... get the resturant to cater the meal and bring it to someone's house? I mean, that's still a meet-up but it's better than being at a restaurant, you know? Or are these people the kind of folks who are just kind of ignoring that everyone who goes out dies?

We were supposed to do a party for my graduation back in May 2020. We're still waiting for it to be safe enough to do.

GasBandit

Staff member
Is there a reason they couldn't just... get the resturant to cater the meal and bring it to someone's house? I mean, that's still a meet-up but it's better than being at a restaurant, you know? Or are these people the kind of folks who are just kind of ignoring that everyone who goes out dies?

We were supposed to do a party for my graduation back in May 2020. We're still waiting for it to be safe enough to do.
A lot of people I thought were sensible and cautious are still in denial about the danger Texas is in, and I've already strained a lot of relationships between COVID and Politics in the last 16 months.

A lot of people I thought were sensible and cautious are still in denial about the danger Texas is in, and I've already strained a lot of relationships between COVID and Politics in the last 16 months.
I get it. That's me and my extended family right now... bunch of Trump folks who still think he's gonna take the office back without being re-elected.

A lot of people I thought were sensible and cautious are still in denial about the danger Texas is in.
Maybe it's because they keep hanging onto that 99% "survive rate"? Honestly, I keep telling people the two bigger issues is that, A) COVID can give you longer lasting issues, even if you survive, that could require therapy or just never go away at all, and B) All the people sick with COVID in the hospital means when anyone else has an accident, or gets sick, or has an emergency, then where the fuck will they go? We need to refocus the damn narrative off COVID deaths and mark down the entire picture. Maybe, just maybe, that will help people stop being selfish pricks about having to wear a cloth for what should have been a few months.

Maybe it's because they keep hanging onto that 99% "survive rate"? Honestly, I keep telling people the two bigger issues is that, A) COVID can give you longer lasting issues, even if you survive, that could require therapy or just never go away at all, and B) All the people sick with COVID in the hospital means when anyone else has an accident, or gets sick, or has an emergency, then where the fuck will they go? We need to refocus the damn narrative off COVID deaths and mark down the entire picture. Maybe, just maybe, that will help people stop being selfish pricks about having to wear a cloth for what should have been a few months.
Yep, pretty much, "When one of you assholes get's in an accident or has a medical emergency, THERE ARE NO GODDAMN BEDS FOR YOU!!! It's that simple."

He's vaccinated and receiving antibody treatments? He'll be fine.

Though now that I think about it, being paralyzed already puts him at higher risk for blood clots. You'd think he'd want to be as careful as possible, but whatever.