Coronavirus Thread

Plea from a nurse here in Edmonton. Our premier hasn't said a fucking word publicly in 3 weeks and the health minister has been completely silent for over a month.

Government still happily selling these:
1630350757110.png

Doctors in Alberta are doing Covid updates now since the government has abdicated its role of being a government during a crisis. Hilariously this is the same government Conservative leader Erin O'Toole praised recently and he's somehow surging in the polls, so that rules. Get ready for Alberta style Covid response from the feds Canada. It's going to fucking suck.

Captain Joe Manning, 57, of the Wayne County Sheriff's Office died on Wednesday after a short battle with the virus[...] In one post, Manning shared an image that said, "I am not vaccinated by choice and that's my right." In another, Manning encouraged people to stock up on the anti-parasitic drug ivermectin, frequently used to deworm horses.
The hits, they keep coming.

--Patrick

I think I've mentioned this in a thread somewhere, but even though this is parody, I have literally witnessed people make this same argument about seat belts. And in retrospect, a lot of them, but not all, were Boomer-aged? But they would swear up and down that seat belt enforcement was a crock, that a seat belt was more likely to get you killed, that the only reason they had survived certain car accidents they were in was because they WEREN'T wearing a seat belt and being thrown around or ejected from the car was better...

I mean, just when you think you're going to hit bottom, you realize there is no bottom. Jesus, people.

Jesus, the dates on that one are mind blowing. Nine days from #IDONOTCONSENT to R.I.P. Hard to believe. (Not saying I doubt the veracity, just...good lord.)

Jesus, the dates on that one are mind blowing. Nine days from #IDONOTCONSENT to R.I.P. Hard to believe. (Not saying I doubt the veracity, just...good lord.)
These stories always remind me of:
—Patrick

Allegedly my brother in law visited his mother in the hospital and proudly proclaimed to my wife that "see? I'm fine!" The next day. Fuck it if he's so sure and already exposed himself maybe he can take over looking after his folks and my wife can quit risking things.

Bunch of idiots protesting the upcoming vaccine passport requirements at all our hospitals today. Not at the provincial legislator buildings that are in the same city, nope. Well, people were there too but you get what I mean.

Protesting hospitals and, assaulting in some cases, Healthcare workers that are stressed, tired, overburdened and have NOTHING to do with enacting these measures.

The only way I can see the choice of location making "sense" is if these are Healthcare workers that are protesting because they are likely soon to be required to have the vaccine to continue working. But then, at that point, get the fuck out of Healthcare you morons. I could not believe when a few years ago, Sarah finished her schooling and started working as a phlebotomist. She had to get a flu shot every year as she'd be working in close proximity to vulnerable patients. There was a not insignificant number of nurses and coworkers that would, and could, choose not to get it and, ironically with the current situation, be made to wear at least a mask for the whole flu season.

GasBandit

Staff member
My best friend's 13 year old daughter just tested positive. So glad kids are being frogmarched back into the classroom, right?

Fortunately, she got her second vaccine shot a few weeks ago, and thus far the symptoms are very mild. If she hadn't lost her senses of taste and smell, they might not have known.

Of course, since my friend is also my boss at work, this impacts me professionally as well as personally. Since he's been "exposed" (he is also vaccinated), company policy is he must quarantine for 2 weeks. He can work from home, like me, to a degree. But with both of us working from home, there's a whole lot of gear that isn't going to get configured.

Additionally, I was in contact with him a couple days ago. Depending on the results of his COVID test, I might also have to "quarantine" for 2 weeks. Which isn't all that different from the working-from-home thing I've been doing, except next week (and some subsequent weeks) I've been scheduled to be on site in such places as the Corpus Christi City Hall to do some commissioning. That's in jeopardy now, and thus it's looking like those projects will be done by the projected date.

Bunch of idiots protesting the upcoming vaccine passport requirements at all our hospitals today. Not at the provincial legislator buildings that are in the same city, nope. Well, people were there too but you get what I mean.

Protesting hospitals and, assaulting in some cases, Healthcare workers that are stressed, tired, overburdened and have NOTHING to do with enacting these measures.

The only way I can see the choice of location making "sense" is if these are Healthcare workers that are protesting because they are likely soon to be required to have the vaccine to continue working. But then, at that point, get the fuck out of Healthcare you morons. I could not believe when a few years ago, Sarah finished her schooling and started working as a phlebotomist. She had to get a flu shot every year as she'd be working in close proximity to vulnerable patients. There was a not insignificant number of nurses and coworkers that would, and could, choose not to get it and, ironically with the current situation, be made to wear at least a mask for the whole flu season.
The amount of nurses that were assaulted or screamed at sure makes their claims of "protesting in support of nurses" complete nonsense.

My best friend's 13 year old daughter just tested positive. So glad kids are being frogmarched back into the classroom, right?
I'm going to pull that card and say that if you had kids or worked with kids, you'd understand. The damage being done to their psyche, development, and education last year was simply staggering. I don't want anyone to get sick and I certainly don't want to be dismissive of anyone who is sick, but kids truly needed to get back in the classroom.

I'm going to pull that card and say that if you had kids or worked with kids, you'd understand. The damage being done to their psyche, development, and education last year was simply staggering. I don't want anyone to get sick and I certainly don't want to be dismissive of anyone who is sick, but kids truly needed to get back in the classroom.
Kids are back in the classroom here too, but with CO monitoring to maintain ventilation levels, extra active ventilation measures, masks for higher years (at least for the unvaccinated) etc etc.
There's plenty of measures you can take to ease things.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, if you say that's the case, then I'll consider it a weighty argument.

I just hope it doesn't end up another contributing factor to extending the pandemic for years and years. Which is looking more inevitable by the day.

Kids are back in the classroom here too, but with CO monitoring to maintain ventilation levels, extra active ventilation measures, masks for higher years (at least for the unvaccinated) etc etc.
There's plenty of measures you can take to ease things.
This is true. We have new upgraded AC units that filter the air, a separate air filter in the center of the room, kids have to wear masks, and we keep our doors/windows open whenever possible to further help ventilation. We also have sanitizing stations for hands, and we disinfect the rooms regularly with this gnarly chemical that basically kills everything on a surface.

So if I re-evaluate GB's comments about frogmarching to mean "making them go back without proper protection," then I would say he's got a good point.

GasBandit

Staff member
So if I re-evaluate GB's comments about frogmarching to mean "making them go back without proper protection," then I would say he's got a good point.
I can't speak with specificity about what precautions are in place, but clearly, they are not enough.

More and more students and staff are testing positive. Some schools don’t even have enough healthy staff to keep classes going. The TEA is calling it a "very disruptive situation."

"The problem that all schools are having now is that no one has enough substitute teachers," Hopper said. "No one has enough bus drivers. No one has enough custodians."
Also...

While a number of districts require masks, Venus ISD does not. The superintendent says despite the outbreak, that will not change when schools reopen next week.

"Some people prefer to mask, and some people do not," Hopper said. "And so we want to maintain that flexibility as long as we can."
Still treating masking as a "choice." My employer doesn't give me a choice about masks - either I mask up at the office and at customer sites, or I don't work there any more.

I fail to see why that should be different for schools, which have WAY more bodies in WAY closer proximity.

Just got tested after my big trip to Upper Canada. Negative which is nice, and they gave me as many free tests to take home as I wanted.

Guess who has 4 cats and is getting her nose scrubbed when she wakes up?

20210902_181540.jpg

My newest conspiracy theory: This has never been about COVID, Trump, China, Proud Boys, QAnon, Race relations, etc. Rather it's all about doing whatever it takes to stuff emergency rooms everywhere as full as possible and then keep them full in order to deny...ok, so this is the point where I don't know what the end goal of doing so would be.

--Patrick