Former President Trump Thread

I wish I could say "We got him!" but I know that isn't how things work anymore.

It's really frustrating too, watching all his supporters talk about how harmless it was, and how he just wanted to stop fraud. If he wanted to stop fraud, he would talk about REMOVING votes that are fraudulent. The fact he told Raffensberger to "find" votes for him, exactly enough to overturn the election, is low key asking him to fabricate votes.

And yet nothing will happen, because the senate does not want to risk impeaching him, and his cabinet is nothing but sycophant's feeding his ego for their own gain.

That is all that any Democratic congressperson needs to replay to the entire house and senate when they object to the electoral college votes on Wednesday.

And then simply say, "Madame Speaker/Your Mitchness, I hereby request a vote on accepting the result that puts someone other than this asshole in the White House."

You know things ain't looking good for you when Tom Cotton, Mr. "Send in the troops to beat up those BLM protestors.", isn't on board with your coup attempt on Wednesday.

TIL draft dodging and illegal immigration runs in the family. Frederick Trump evaded mandatory military service in Bavaria and illegally entered the US back in 1885.

Can we retroactively deport the family?

In general, I’d say a good chunk of respect towards anything the president does in general has lost a lot of weight at this point. We’ve seen a lot of what can and will happen when one person gets to decide something.
Hopefully this, along with the pardon power, how bills are brought up for vote in the senate, and I’m sure many other things I’m sure, all get changed. Although I doubt it will.

The true embarrassment is how Mitch McConnell and the GOP congress failed the country and allowed him to continue to make a fool of all of us. This is their failure for caring more about partisanship than what was best for the country.

I remember before I was arguing that things like judges need to have the ability to be removed, but I have to admit after getting our asses saved by judges, many of which are Trump appointed, I realize now that part of the problem can be the very nature of elections.

When you know you have only so much time, and then have to fight for your place, you will lie and beg and suppress opposition and do whatever you can to win re-election. Often times, due to the very "sports team" nature of our parties, this means pandering to the base, no matter what, even when you felt it limited your ability to support things that you felt were good ideas. Obama's book made it clear that lots of Republican's would tell him in private they supported his policies or ideas, only for them to admit they couldn't vote on it because just doing anything "Pro-Obama" would ruin their careers. How many times did we hear a Republican finally stand up for the bullshit going on, but only after they retired or were on the way to retirement? We can't get anything done when we have to oppose oppose oppose just because the other side can't be given a win.

Judges, being lifetime appointments, no longer have to worry about this issue, and thus are more then willing to break rank.

Am I calling for lifetime senators? No, but we NEED to end this cycle of bullshit where the need to get re-elected circumvents all else. I have no idea how to do that without drastically limiting terms (single term limits, etc.) or changing our election system (ranked choice, etc) but the way it works right now just does not feel like it's working at all, and only keeps getting worst as partisanship keeps growing.

The true embarrassment is how Mitch McConnell and the GOP congress failed the country and allowed him to continue to make a fool of all of us. This is their failure for caring more about partisanship than what was best for the country.
I don't for one minute think that McConnell nor any of the GOP Congresscritters in question* are doing this "because GOP partisanship." No, they are doing this solely because they are using their position/influence to benefit themselves/their interests, and "GOP partisanship" is just the excuse/justification they give for their actions. Just like ain't nobody who believes things done "for the children" are actually being done for children's sakes, that's just the excuse they give.

--Patrick
*#NotAllCongress - Yes, I know it's not all the GOP folks. I am not painting the entire GOP with that brush. Just most of 'em.

I don't for one minute think that McConnell nor any of the GOP Congresscritters in question* are doing this "because GOP partisanship." No, they are doing this solely because they are using their position/influence to benefit themselves/their interests, and "GOP partisanship" is just the excuse/justification they give for their actions. Just like ain't nobody who believes things done "for the children" are actually being done for children's sakes, that's just the excuse they give.

--Patrick
*#NotAllCongress - Yes, I know it's not all the GOP folks. I am not painting the entire GOP with that brush. Just most of 'em.
I think it's both, actually. I think it all depends on the issue. Some of the time they are doing what benefits them and their big donors the most. Sometimes they are doing whatever is popular with their base, even if it goes against their actual beliefs. Either way they are spineless cowards who pander rather than do what's best.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Impeachment isn't going to happen in 16 days.
It would be a good way for the GOP to save face and get Trump out of office, but they'd have to grow balls and stand up to the radical Trump cult and I don't see them doing that.

Say cheeto gets impeached, removed and barred from office. Who gets all his campaign funds?
I believe a candidate gets to keep their leftover campaign funds, so I imagine they would be agglomerated into his estate and then share in whatever fate the future has in store for that.

--Patrick