Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

fade

Staff member
Because of this comment I fully expected the second one to be about the....showers the Germans gave to some people after their long train rides.
Oh the jokes were made. Go to the imgur page. The top comment even.

No Belgian one, though.

So what's the epithet in the Chinese one? Anyone?

--Patrick
白癡 (bái chī)

Basically it means idiot.

The etymology is a bit interesting though. The two characters, when split up, are literally translated as "white" and "crazy". I have no idea why "white crazy" means idiot, though records of this phrase being used this way go all the way back to the Jin Dynasty, or roughly 200 to 400 AD. Thus, its origins likely have something to do with the colloquial phrasing or terminology used seventeen centuries ago, and can no longer be confirmed now.

How can they possibly mistake the crime-ridden streets of Detroit and Chicago as Canada? Did they not see that bit in Bowling for Columbine where Michael Moore shows how we're so safe and hapoy we leave our front doors unlocked?
The only place in Canada I've ever lived where that happened was Port aux Basques, and considering how "exceptional" that place was in so many other ways, it really doesn't count. @Dirona can tell you stories about the unlocked doors.

The only place in Canada I've ever lived where that happened was Port aux Basques, and considering how "exceptional" that place was in so many other ways, it really doesn't count. @Dirona can tell you stories about the unlocked doors.
I leave my door unlocked when I'm home (even when I'm sleeping) .

I dated a girl a few years ago who didn't lock her house when she wasn't home.

My grandparents in a small Ontario town just an hour North of Toronto rarely locked their door (they've since passed, but that was during the time of Moore's documentary.

It happens a lot, I think. But really I was aiming to make a joke about Moore's idealistic view of us, and got too lazy to execute it.

But yeah, I don't doubt that lots of residents of Toronto's downtown residents leave their front doors unlocked when they're home (which is one anecdote Moore showed in B4C)

Meh, I've left my front door unlocked when I leave the house so that my son can get in when he forgets his house key. If you don't live in a city (and there's a lot of US that isn't city), you can get away with that plenty.

GasBandit

Staff member
Meh, I've left my front door unlocked when I leave the house so that my son can get in when he forgets his house key. If you don't live in a city (and there's a lot of US that isn't city), you can get away with that plenty.
Yeah but you live in the Boooooooooooooooooooooniiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeees

GasBandit

Staff member
My family has always locked the doors, even when my grandparents lived in Timberon, NM - a community of about 10 people, 4 horses and a dog that is a 3 hour drive into the Sacramento mountains. They have a post office, a gravel airstrip, a general store, and a restaurant that is only open 8 months a year.

I'm not even certain I had a copy of the key to the house I grew up in, but we lived 3 miles from town - and that town had 250 residents.

I put in a keypad door lock in the back for occasions such as that, or if I want to go jogging and don't want to bring a key.