Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

Arabic sounds harder than younger me thought it would be.
And we do have a formal “you” in English. It’s “you.” It’s the familiar “thou” that got dropped because somebody couldn’t be bothered to add a thorn to their set of movable type.

—Patrick

Arabic sounds harder than younger me thought it would be.
And we do have a formal “you” in English. It’s “you.” It’s the familiar “thou” that got dropped because somebody couldn’t be bothered to add a thorn to their set of movable type.

—Patrick
At least our informal and formal "you" are distinct from each other and everyone is on the same page about their relationship to each other.

Yeah, I never really understood English speakers who think it's a positive that there's only one singular second person.
Whether it's Sie, vous, u,... It helps define relationships and degrees of familiarity.
Having a clear and easy language is good, having more tools in the toolbox to play with is also good.

frankenwords :p
Oh the irony...

I don't speak arabic, but i'll take a wild guess and say you don't actually have to learn the word twice, as long as you know the rule you can just apply it to new word you just learned by just following the rule.

Meanwhile, in english, there are words that end with the same combo of letters that don't rhyme...

EDIT:
Oh, and that bit about Cantonese is BS, as you can tell when the wind blows through your hair while you wind your mechanical clock...

Last edited:
Look, a towel for kitchen use is a kitchentowel. And the rack you hang it on is a kitchentowelrack. And the guy who installs it is a kitchentowelrackinstaller. And the firm he works for is a kitchentowelrackinstallercorporation. And to be fair, the Dutch word for a towel is a hand cloth. So it's a kitchenhandclothrackinstallercorporation. This all just makes sense.