Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

I recently saw a post in Reddit about a set up like this and people, mostly americans, went nuts. How this is not according to code and a safety concern during a fire.

I was really confused by this.
America's a really big place. Some parts of the country freak out other parts of the country.

I recently saw a post in Reddit about a set up like this and people, mostly americans, went nuts. How this is not according to code and a safety concern during a fire.

I was really confused by this.
I think most building & fire codes in the US would not allow a door handle that requires the key to open the door from the inside. Even if the door is locked, it should still open from the inside. So unless it's an ancient door handle, even one that locks with a key should still allow exiting the building without a key.

I think most building & fire codes in the US would not allow a door handle that requires the key to open the door from the inside. Even if the door is locked, it should still open from the inside. So unless it's an ancient door handle, even one that locks with a key should still allow exiting the building without a key.
That's what confused me. You don't need the key to open the door from the inside. You use the handle. The key is only needed to lock the door.

The key is only needed to lock the door.
The concern, though, is that once the door is locked (with the key), how is someone without a key supposed to exit in an emergency?
As someone who specifically installed the kind of deadbolt which requires keys from both sides, my answer to this is, “Through the window.”

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
It's a real motel in San Luis, Mexico. The ironic part is that "Fleming" does not mean flaming/inflamed in Spanish... it's just the name of the street the motel is on.

Pasión does mean passion, however. And given that it has hourly rates... yeah, they know what they're doing.