Funny (political, religious) pictures

Well the "convoy" has reached the capital. The expected 50.,000 trucks did not appear to have made the journey. 17 tractors with trailers, 104 tractors and 400 Karens in cars.

But it did cause an unintended effect. All the regular truckers in an effort to avoid getting lumped into this silliness, formed a giant convoy of hundreds of trucks fleeing Toronto ahead of the convoy of Karens.

And there are solid rumours that the truckers in the convoy, are smarter than the average bear, they are dropping off loads in Ottawa and double dipping into the pay from the Karen mobiles.

On the bright side, all this attention has boosted interest and sales for Maus. It's at #2, 3, and 7 on Amazon best sellers in books right now.
Unfortunately, the people who would do that don't have kids that could benefit from being exposed to it.

Hey now, some of them are not idiots. Some of them are intelligent, anti-Semitic assholes
I mean, how clever are they if they tip their hand so obviously?

Yeah, it's all well and good that people are buying it but that ban still happened and that school or district or whatever will continue on doing what's it doing. Less kids will read it now.

Don't get me wrong, the steady slide into fascism is still happening, but if these people where actually smart, it would have been way more along by now.

Don't get me wrong, the steady slide into fascism is still happening, but if these people where actually smart, it would have been way more along by now.
I'm not sure this is true, sadly. Seems like there were a LOT of people just waiting for the slightest sign that their beliefs weren't going to get them punched in the face to come crawling out into the sun.

I'm fairly sure that moving too fast would've scared a lot of people off. I'm pretty sure half of the Republicans in the federal House aren't actually fascists themselves, they've just been frog-in-boiling-watered into it.

I'm fairly sure that moving too fast would've scared a lot of people off. I'm pretty sure half of the Republicans in the federal House aren't actually fascists themselves, they've just been frog-in-boiling-watered into it.
I would say blindsided opportunists

Seems like there were a LOT of people just waiting for the slightest sign that their beliefs weren't going to get them punched in the face to come crawling out into the sun.
Like I told Chad in another thread:
It's more about knowing what might happen if you allow too many of these people to stay together for any length of time, or get into any sort of position where they'd have influence over the people they hate. [...] Once you accrue a certain critical mass of like-minded thinkers, and they start validating one another, then the odds of those thought crimes getting translated into action goes up, and that's gonna be a problem when they start yelling, "Who's with me?!" And before you get on my case about "freedom of assembly," remember that getting together to discuss illegal things is itself illegal, even if you're [never] found out.
--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Thanks to the internet now, it's never been easier to set up and find existing echo chambers for any given political opinion or antisocial malignancy.

I know I make this "joke" a lot but...

Being a fuckhead in 1985: "I want to fuck a toaster" "Dude wtf get some psychological help" - Everybody in RL around person A
Being a fuckhead in 2015: "I want to fuck a toaster" "Here's 154,437 links, the top 5 of which are communities dedicated to sex with household appliances" - Google

Now just swap out toaster-fucking with nazi-being.

Of course, it cuts the other way, too. We're just as much an echo chamber here, and it reinforces the perception of certain worldviews being default/majority that may not necessarily be reflected in reality. That's why it's always so jarring for people like me to go outside and discover that, yes, 50% of the people in my geographic area are die hard trumpers. I mean, how could they be! Have they not been READING any of these political threads?!!

Thanks to the internet now, it's never been easier to set up and find existing echo chambers for any given political opinion or antisocial malignancy.

I know I make this "joke" a lot but...

Being a fuckhead in 1985: "I want to fuck a toaster" "Dude wtf get some psychological help" - Everybody in RL around person A
Being a fuckhead in 2015: "I want to fuck a toaster" "Here's 154,437 links, the top 5 of which are communities dedicated to sex with household appliances" - Google

Now just swap out toaster-fucking with nazi-being.

Of course, it cuts the other way, too. We're just as much an echo chamber here, and it reinforces the perception of certain worldviews being default/majority that may not necessarily be reflected in reality. That's why it's always so jarring for people like me to go outside and discover that, yes, 50% of the people in my geographic area are die hard trumpers. I mean, how could they be! Have they not been READING any of these political threads?!!
I don't think calling this an echo chamber is really fair. Yes, the majority of us are on the left side of the line, some more than others, but most of us are also typically willing to point out BS when we see it or opine when we think someone is wrong or counter to our own thoughts.

Now, I don't have the time right now, but I'll see if I can edit in some communist propaganda here later on.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't think calling this an echo chamber is really fair. Yes, the majority of us are on the left side of the line, some more than others, but most of us are also typically willing to point out BS when we see it or opine when we think someone is wrong or counter to our own thoughts.

Now, I don't have the time right now, but I'll see if I can edit in some communist propaganda here later on.
If your chamber is echoing reasonable, logical viewpoints and devoid of batshit crazy racists, it's still an echo chamber that is not representative of the demographic.

If your chamber is echoing reasonable, logical viewpoints and devoid of batshit crazy racists, it's still an echo chamber that is not representative of the demographic.
That's not what an echo chamber is though, an echo chamber only reinforces your already held beliefs and doesn't try to challenge or entertain other viewpoints. Now, if you want to say we as a collective are not representative of people as a whole, sure, people as a whole are fucked and we're just along for the ride.

GasBandit

Staff member
That's not what an echo chamber is though, an echo chamber only reinforces your already held beliefs and doesn't try to challenge or entertain other viewpoints. Now, if you want to say we as a collective are not representative of people as a whole, sure, people as a whole are fucked and we're just along for the ride.
I can tell you right now I can think of at least 4 people who would definitely say that this community absolutely punishes dissenting political opinion. But I don't want to call them out because we're all just trying to keep the peace here.

God forbid (ha ha!) anybody ever have anything less-than-vociferously-damning to say about religion, landlords, or capitalism.

This forum absolutely is an insular echo chamber with its own approved narrative. It just happens to be the one everyone here thinks is the correct narrative. So they don't think it's an echo chamber, but simply a small eddy of sanity in an insane world.

Which is exactly what the people at stormfront think about their website, too.

I can tell you right now I can think of at least 4 people who would definitely say that this community absolutely punishes dissenting political opinion. But I don't want to call them out because we're all just trying to keep the peace here.

God forbid (ha ha!) anybody ever have anything less-than-vociferously-damning to say about religion, landlords, or capitalism.

This forum absolutely is an insular echo chamber with its own approved narrative. It just happens to be the one everyone here thinks is the correct narrative. So they don't think it's an echo chamber, but simply a small eddy of sanity in an insane world.

Which is exactly what the people at stormfront think about their website, too.
Ehhh, I think it's a hell of a stretch to compare Halforums to extremist websites. Some people definitely dog-pile on differing thought regarding religion and other hot button topics, but that's not the whole forum, and not letting people get away with saying terrible things and holding them accountable for it isn't an echo chamber, it's being a responsible community.

And ignoring evidence isn't something most of us here let slide, no matter which persuasion of the political spectrum someone is on.

There are people within this community whose opinions and political standings do veer right rather than left. Yet they're still a part of the community. They can voice their opinions and I'll voice mine, but they get voiced all the same. Just because there's a consensus doesn't make it an echo chamber, otherwise literally everything in the world would be an echo chamber.

I'm the one that posited that being a landlord is morally wrong. I realize this is going to be, to some, an extreme view, and one that won't be shared by everyone. I know I'm still able to share that opinion, and others will disagree. I'm an atheist, others are religious or even acting clergy, and yet here we are. Just because someone says an unpopular opinion and gets pushback from people that disagree doesn't make it an echo chamber. If everyone all agreed and we just all jerked each other off, reinforcing bad opinions while ignoring the rest, -that- is an echo chamber.

In other words, if we were an echo chamber I wouldn't be telling you how I think your definition of echo chamber is way too loose.