Games on SALE!

Just the thought of playing This War of Mine right now makes me shudder.
Yeah it's not an easy game to stomach.

Particularly the scenarios with kids. I don't have kids, I don't ever want them, but even I went full papa bear mode in those scenarios. "I WILL PROVIDE THIS CHILD WITH EVERYTHING SHE WANTS EVEN IF I HAVE TO MURDER EVERY SENIOR CITIZEN IN THIS CITY FOR IT!!"

figmentPez

Staff member
Humble You Can Pet the Dog Bundle benefiting animal charities.

$1
- Scribblenauts Unlimited
- Beyond Eyes
- Dog Sled Saga
- Bulb Boy

Beat the Average
- Shenmue 1 & 2
- Where the Water Tastes Like Wine
- Death's Gambit

$12+
- Blair Witch

If I didn't already own Scribblenauts Unlimited, I'd be jumping at the chance to get it for $1. It's a fun game, though YMMV depending on how creative you want to get, vs doing the bare minimum to complete it.

I don't know anything about the other games.

figmentPez

Staff member
Not discounted right now, but Konami just released several games on GOG.com,
- Metal Gear (the MSX version)
- Metal Gear Solid
- Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance
and
- Konami Collector's Series: Castlevania & Contra (Castlevania, Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, Contra, and Super C)

I have no idea how well any of them run, or which versions they're based on (aside from Metal Gear not being the NES version), but with GOG chances are they're easier to get running than other releases, though YMMV.

The Collections are both good. I got them on Switch a while ago.

Oh, that's a different collection. I can't vouch for the quality of that one.

figmentPez

Staff member
Meanwhile, in another thread....

lol, thanks Nintendo for legitimizing this nonsense.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but I was curious as to why this is "for a limited time" and discovered it's going to be free starting the 17th, which lead me to learn that SEGA (SErvice GAmes, who knew?) is celebrating their 60th anniversary, and giving away some free stuff on Steam. I'm not clear on how the giveaway of Nights Into Dreams is going to work, you might have to sign up at https://www.sega60th.com/ and link your account to get it (you'll also get some SEGA themed stuff to decorate your Steam account.)

This other stuff can just be grabbed free right from Steam. If any more gets added, I'll try to remember to update:
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
DLC Two Point Hospital: SEGA 60th Items
DLC Total War: SHOGUN 2 - Battle of Kawagoe

In a similar vein to Streets of Kamurocho are:
Armor of Heroes a retro overhead tank battle game. Avaiable Oct 15th - 19th
Endless Zone a Fantasy Zone inspired shooter. Available Oct 16th -19th
Golden Axed, which is a canceled prototype for a 2.5D reboot of Golden Axe. It will be available Oct 18th, for just a day.
All of these stop being available at 10AM PST on Oct 19th

Plus there's a whole bunch of SEGA games on sale.

Those still willing to use the Epic Game launcher (it me), Costume Quest 2 and Layers of Fear 2 are both free right now. I loved both the originals, so this is a no-brainer.

On October 29, it switches to Blair Witch and the remastered Ghostbusters game. I loved both movies so this is...me looking forward to maybe replaying Ghostbusters.

Those still willing to use the Epic Game launcher (it me), Costume Quest 2 and Layers of Fear 2 are both free right now. I loved both the originals, so this is a no-brainer.

On October 29, it switches to Blair Witch and the remastered Ghostbusters game. I loved both movies so this is...me looking forward to maybe replaying Ghostbusters.
The Blair Witch game has a neat mechanic (you can play video tapes in your camcorder to recreate events, as well stop them in time to get around obstacles) but is utterly forgetable otherwise. Ghostbusters Remastered is Ghostbusters Remastered: it's fun game that should have gotten a sequel.

Sometimes I don't understand game companies.
I've been looking at Jedi: Fallen Order for a while now. I'm not really into Soulslikes, but it's supposedly pretty much baby's first soulslike with a star wars finish, so hey.

Anyway, it's currently on sale on Origin for €30.
It's also on sale on greenman gaming for €27.
The f*ck? Why would you ever give a better deal to another storefront? I mean, often they can get a bunch of keys at lower prices because they pay up front and all that - but considering 50% is the biggest discount this game's had so far....I dunno.
I mean, I'd still have to download and install Origin (ewww) and my PC just very barely meets the minimum requirements so I'm on the fence, but....

Ooh, I'm interested in the Ghostbusters remaster. I was interested in actually buying it if it was Steam (on a very high discount since I already own the original). Then it was announced as Epic exclusive, which is bullshit for such an old game that has already been on Steam.

But free? Why, that's my favorite price!

Fallout 4 is on sale.

Is it worth getting?
And more specifically is the Game of the Year Edition a good buy to get the addons?
Fallout 4 is a poor Fallout game, suffers from a weak story, and is only good in comparison to Fallout 3 (as opposed to the superior New Vegas). It does have fun game play though and I enjoyed base building, so it's not an entire wash.

Add-ons:
Automatron - Lets you build robot settlers and modify existing robot followers, as well a new robot follower and a short storyline about THE MECHANIST and her robot army. Fun and robot settlers are highly useful.
Far Harbor - A new island to explore with cool story. Bring Nick with you, this story is his as much as yours.
Nuka-World - Another new location to explore with lots of new weapons and introduces the ability to side with the Raiders in their takeover of the Commonwealth. If that's your style, you'll have a lot of fun, but if you don't want to play raider than this dlc loses a lot of it's appeal and special perks.
Contraptions and Wasteland Workshop - This adds more stuff to the base building system, including lots of new traps and the aiblity to construct assembly lines to produce things like bullets. Useful, but nothing amazing.
Vault-Tec Workshop - Get a small storyline about constructing a vault inside a mountain, as well as tons of vault-tec inspired parts to play with. Nothing amazing here though.

Honestly? A lot of what I liked about Fallout 4 is found in Fallout 76 these days and Fallout 76 just keeps improving and improving. Unless you need the companions and story of Fallout 4, I would just skip to 76 at this point.

Counter point, Fallout 76 is essentially an MMO, and if you don't want that kind of playstyle in your life, Fallout 4 is fine.
I haven't gotten to play it yet, but I was reading that they added enough material to be played as a single player game if that's your thing, simply interacting with others if you want. Disagree?

I haven't gotten to play it yet, but I was reading that they added enough material to be played as a single player game if that's your thing, simply interacting with others if you want. Disagree?
It's got a lot more stuff to do single player if you want, but you're still going to want to do public events to get blueprints and such. It's generally the best way to get better gear for your character.

Sometimes I don't understand game companies.
I've been looking at Jedi: Fallen Order for a while now. I'm not really into Soulslikes, but it's supposedly pretty much baby's first soulslike with a star wars finish, so hey.

Anyway, it's currently on sale on Origin for €30.
It's also on sale on greenman gaming for €27.
The f*ck? Why would you ever give a better deal to another storefront? I mean, often they can get a bunch of keys at lower prices because they pay up front and all that - but considering 50% is the biggest discount this game's had so far....I dunno.
I mean, I'd still have to download and install Origin (ewww) and my PC just very barely meets the minimum requirements so I'm on the fence, but....
While it uses dark souls elements, I would not call it at all a soulslike. If anything it's secretly the best Indiana Jones game ever made, with you exploring a series of ancient ruins trying to find artifacts before the naz-I mean, Empire can reach them.

And it's got a fantastic story, I loved it to pieces.

figmentPez

Staff member
The Steam Halloween sale has begun, and a lot of other storefronts have Halloween sales going on as well.

I haven't looked at Steam's offerings yet, but I'm going to assume you should be prepared for mediocrity. Use https://isthereanydeal.com/ to check other sites for better deals.

The Steam Halloween sale has begun, and a lot of other storefronts have Halloween sales going on as well.

I haven't looked at Steam's offerings yet, but I'm going to assume you should be prepared for mediocrity. Use https://isthereanydeal.com/ to check other sites for better deals.
I still remember the days of Steam sales when the whole internet would lose its mind over how many great deals there were. Comics would make jokes about wallets being exhausted. People would pretend to cry about how they couldn't play everything because there wasn't enough time in the day to enjoy all the discounted games.

Now it has all the excitement of a wet fart.

I have State of Decay 2 on my wishlist; it's still full price. It's a zombie apocalypse game, for cryin' out loud! You can't even take 25% off?!

Most of the games that are on sale are either a) shit, or b) games that you probably own by now because they're old and/or massively popular.

So disappointed in how Steam is these days. Between the shitty sales and the fact that the store front is filled with complete sewage since there's no quality control, I don't know why I even bother.

I do know that World of Horror is on sale...

It's a delightful rogue like inspired by the horror works of HP Lovecraft, Junji Ito, and many more. Well worth 13 bucks, even for Early Access.

GasBandit

Staff member
I still remember the days of Steam sales when the whole internet would lose its mind over how many great deals there were. Comics would make jokes about wallets being exhausted. People would pretend to cry about how they couldn't play everything because there wasn't enough time in the day to enjoy all the discounted games.

Now it has all the excitement of a wet fart.

I have State of Decay 2 on my wishlist; it's still full price. It's a zombie apocalypse game, for cryin' out loud! You can't even take 25% off?!

Most of the games that are on sale are either a) shit, or b) games that you probably own by now because they're old and/or massively popular.

So disappointed in how Steam is these days. Between the shitty sales and the fact that the store front is filled with complete sewage since there's no quality control, I don't know why I even bother.
There hasn't been very many good games worth buying in the last few years, IMO. Steam sales were great when there were a stable of awesome games that were a year or two old. Now, not so much. Everything I put on my wishlist to look forward to has mixed reviews, or I'm not that excited about.

Last Year is $2. The reviews pretty much unanimously say it's abandoned by the devs. We Happy Few's reviews are getting better, but it was notoriously shovelware at launch and I don't know if I'm ready to risk it yet.

I might get Radio Commander. That looks pretty good.

Or maybe Rainbow Six: Seige, just to finally experience what all the fuss is about. But maybe not.

A lot of the discounts are not as deep as I would have thought they should be... Deep Rock Galactic is only 33%, but then again, full price was $30. So maybe that's not so bad. I already own it, of course.

There hasn't been very many good games worth buying in the last few years, IMO. Steam sales were great when there were a stable of awesome games that were a year or two old. Now, not so much. Everything I put on my wishlist to look forward to has mixed reviews, or I'm not that excited about.

Last Year is $2. The reviews pretty much unanimously say it's abandoned by the devs. We Happy Few's reviews are getting better, but it was notoriously shovelware at launch and I don't know if I'm ready to risk it yet.

I might get Radio Commander. That looks pretty good.

Or maybe Rainbow Six: Seige, just to finally experience what all the fuss is about. But maybe not.

A lot of the discounts are not as deep as I would have thought they should be... Deep Rock Galactic is only 33%, but then again, full price was $30. So maybe that's not so bad. I already own it, of course.
Last Year had the unfortunate setback of having to deal with major litigation during it's early phase from the Friday the 13th people (Killer was superficially similar to Jason Vorhees), then got beat to market by like... 6 games like it? So yes, it was basically DoA.

Looking at some of the sales, there are a few good picks for people who haven't gotten them yet.

- Graveyard Keeper for $7
- Alien: Isolation for $10
- Frostpunk for $10.19
- Monster Prom for $3.71 (Loved this, it's basically a dating game for crazy people)
- Monster Prom 2: Monster Camp for $10.79 (This JUST came out, enjoy the two bucks off)
- RE7 for $9.89
- Little Nightmares for $4 (Sequel coming soonish)
- Blasphemous for $12.49
- Dead Space 1 for $5
- Dead Space 2 for $5
- The Blackout Club for $14.99 (This is a neat idea: the devs interact with the players through in-game mechanics)

I might get Frostpunk and Sayonara Wild Hearts.

Today I bought Star Wars Squadrons, and luckily I waited closer to the $10 coupon expiration date, because Epic store has a 25% discount that stacks with the coupon.

figmentPez

Staff member
GOG is giving away Butcher a 2016 2D action game. I've never heard of it. Looks like someone crossed Super Crate Box with Quake / Blood and a bunch of grimdark 90s comics.