Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Some wonderful folks made comments such as, "damn, I thought this country just got a monkey off it's [sic] back. literally." and "I would have thought that something bad happening to our liar-in-chief would have moved the market UP not down. How disappointing."

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, it's pretty sucky when people wish for a president's death and compare him repeatedly to a monkey.

Just ask George W. "chimp in a flightsuit" Bush.

Seventy percent of students at one Wisconsin high school boycotted USDA school lunches. As one student at the school told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the changes have meant the food is “worse tasting, smaller sized and higher priced.”
Sorry fat Billy, you won't be getting a pound of tater tots for lunch anymore.
I really couldn't decide if Iwanted to put this in a separate thread, but I thought, ehhh, let's not.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-april-24-2013/weak-constitution
Christ, Ann Coulter is a detestable lump of shit.

Sorry fat Billy, you won't be getting a pound of tater tots for lunch anymore.
I like how the coach's argument basically boils down to "B-b-b-b-but FOOTBALL!?" Right, we should totally change everyone's lunches because your athletes are too fucking lazy and undisciplined to eat a healthy snack before practice. You'd have to give those other kids 1000+ calorie lunches too because everyone would complain about the special treatment the athletes are getting.

Seriously... sports are a privilege. Stop expecting everyone to cater to your short lived fantasy of never having to grow up.

Or they could give students the choice for what food they want.
They tried doing that. That's part of why we are here now: students are unable or unwilling to choose healthy options, so schools were being forced to buy un-nutritious stuff just to get them to eat SOMETHING. This was part of the problem.

This seems like a catch-22: The schools can't keep feeding kids the slop they were before, but kids are unwilling to eat what they have now. The solution is obviously to make a menu of stuff they will eat that IS nutritious, but then the problem becomes creating that menu, lining up suppliers, and other such issues.

Kids are partially defined by their tendency to make bad choices. The school needs to stick to its guns and keep the menu healthy. If they don't like it, they can bring something from home.

Kids are partially defined by their tendency to make bad choices. The school needs to stick to its guns and keep the menu healthy. If they don't like it, they can bring something from home.
This. If kids want to eat shitty, then let parents buy it. They shouldn't be getting fed fatty, high calorie garbage food by schools.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Guys, let's not get carried away with the school-bashing, okay? The fact is that schools don't have much of a budget when it comes to feeding kids. I don't have statistics here, I only have the figure mentioned in Top Chef: $2.60 per kid - and that includes paying the staff, so $2.00 per kid, tops. It ain't easy feeding kids with two bucks a head.

And as much as GasBandit hates me doing this, the rates for Finnish school meals in 2010 ranged from $1.95 (in counties with centralized kitchens supplying meals for several schools) to up to $10.40 (in smaller schools with their own kitchens) per head. The average was in the range of $2 and change. And the link, albeit in Finnish. I don't recall, however, there being much ado about the health values of school meals over here. TommiR , you got anything?

Guys, let's not get carried away with the school-bashing, okay? The fact is that schools don't have much of a budget when it comes to feeding kids. I don't have statistics here, I only have the figure mentioned in Top Chef: $2.60 per kid - and that includes paying the staff, so $2.00 per kid, tops. It ain't easy feeding kids with two bucks a head.

And as much as GasBandit hates me doing this, the rates for Finnish school meals in 2010 ranged from $1.95 (in counties with centralized kitchens supplying meals for several schools) to up to $10.40 (in smaller schools with their own kitchens) per head. The average was in the range of $2 and change. And the link, albeit in Finnish. I don't recall, however, there being much ado about the health values of school meals over here. TommiR , you got anything?
Then don't feed them. None of my schools until I hit high school (where we had a cafeteria that sold food, mostly garbagey food like fries, subs, etc.) did school lunches. We brought food from home for lunch.

http://news.yahoo.com/army-says-no-more-tanks-115434897.html

So, the army says they don't need any more Abrams tanks, Congress says too fucking bad and allocated half a billion dollars for more.
It's pork for Ohio. We produce all of the tanks in the US and it's politically important keep that plant open. It's one of a very few places where mechanics can earn "high pay" in the state, aside of the military bases and Port Columbus, so it's important for the Unions. It's also not an exaggeration to say that closing the plant would probably turn Lima into a ghost town.

Ironically, Ohio on the whole is moving away from manufacturing and turning into a hub for banks and healthcare providers. Columbus especially is starting to look more and more like a West Coast city with all the companies moving their HQ into the city.

This does bring to light the problem with cutting the military budget though: almost all of the stuff we use is produced in the United States and cutting the budget means destroying jobs. Usually well paying ones too.

http://news.yahoo.com/army-says-no-more-tanks-115434897.html

So, the army says they don't need any more Abrams tanks, Congress says too fucking bad and allocated half a billion dollars for more.
There's amusing story from WWI, possibly apocryphal, about an argument regarding how many dreadnoughts the Brits should build. Churchill is quoted as having said, "The government offer to build four, the Admiralty wanted six, and so we compromised and got eight."

Not really. The authority to draw up the menu rests with the schools (or whoever is the food provider), though it seems designing of the menues need to be in accordance with recommendations from a government committee overseeing the matter. Here is a link in finnish to the relevant document from the committee. Also, I found an article (in finnish) from 2009 regarding the raw materials cost of school meals in my area. The cost seems to be about EUR 1 / USD 1.3.
Then don't feed them. None of my schools until I hit high school (where we had a cafeteria that sold food, mostly garbagey food like fries, subs, etc.) did school lunches. We brought food from home for lunch.
Not up to the schools to decide. Finnish legislation (current statutes 628/1998, 629/1998, 630/1998) guarantees every pupil and student up to and including secondary education level (high school) one free full meal every schoolday. School meals started out as free since before Finland became independent as a form of charity to the poor, and became free for everyone in 1948 (though covering only basic education level back then). I would imagine changing the law under such conditions might be politically problematic, with free school meals being taken for granted by the public at large as everybody has gone to school.

It may be noteworthy, however, that it seems Finland and Sweden are the only countries in the world where school meals are provided for free for everyone.

The main supporters of austerity programs are liars. They don't support it because they think it will fix the economy. They support it because they don't like the people who often need social safety nets, and this is an opportunity to stick it to them.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've always considered "Austerity" programs to be one of the stupidest things you can do in the face of a recession. It's even stupider to think its a good thing after watching what is happening in Greece with their program. Its really nice to read this article from Paul Krugman saying effectively the same thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/29/opinion/krugman-the-story-of-our-time.html?hp&_r=3&
Paul Krugman? You realized what you just wrote is basically -

"I've always considered "homosexuality" to be one of the stupiest things one can countenance in the face of the contemporary societal trend toward moral bankruptcy, it's even stupider having watched what happens when gays are tolerated in places like California. It's really nice to read this article from Ann Coulter saying effectively the same thing."

Paul Krugman is the Ann Coulter of leftist economic politics - the Ku Klux Keynesian. Say what you will about "Austerity" programs, there comes a point when you're spending more than ever before and not able to pay for it that you have to spend less.

GasBandit

Staff member
And twice in one day! Auspicious.

Dammit, I told you I didn't want proximity-sensing switches, obama! You know I immediately forget all spatial data in the dark!

Necronic

Staff member
Paul Krugman? You realized what you just wrote is basically -

"I've always considered "homosexuality" to be one of the stupiest things one can countenance in the face of the contemporary societal trend toward moral bankruptcy, it's even stupider having watched what happens when gays are tolerated in places like California. It's really nice to read this article from Ann Coulter saying effectively the same thing."

Paul Krugman is the Ann Coulter of leftist economic politics - the Ku Klux Keynesian. Say what you will about "Austerity" programs, there comes a point when you're spending more than ever before and not able to pay for it that you have to spend less.
Yeah, I know he's hard left, and hard keynesian, so maybe this is the stopped clock syndrome. Still though it was nice to have someone just come out and say "Why are we still talking about austerity like its a workable system?" Because seriously....why the hell are people still talking about Austerity?