Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

I am admitting to a level of concern here. Though I suspect it won't be enough, Teh Donald is coming a bit too close as AZ counts its final ballots.

P.S. - I checked, mine was counted. And no, I wasn't dumb and I didn't use a Sharpie. Only idiots would do something like that with important documents.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why states wait until Election Day to count early/mail in ballots.
In many states, the gop passed laws requiring it.
This. In MI, for instance, election officials were prohibited from even opening the envelopes prior to election day unless the total number of ballots exceeded some absolute (i.e., not a percentage) threshold. Even then, the most they were allowed to do was just to remove the ballots from the envelopes, verify their legitimacy, and then stack them to wait until the polls opened or whatever. Over time, it seems the GOP has curiously implemented quite a number of diverse measures across multiple agencies to reduce the efficiency of (historically Democratic-leaning) mail-in voting, and then loudly proclaimed that GOP supporters should probably vote in person, as if they knew mail-in voting would be a cluster.

--Patrick

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
I don't think any numbers should be released until ALL the votes are counted. No states swinging back and forth, no illusion of knowledge on election night. Make the complete count the first numbers to be published, and have stiff punishments for anyone who leaks partial counts.

I don't think any numbers should be released until ALL the votes are counted. No states swinging back and forth, no illusion of knowledge on election night. Make the complete count the first numbers to be published, and have stiff punishments for anyone who leaks partial counts.
I want to agree, but I feel like I am forced to disagree, as this would remove any transparency from the democratic process. If vote counting becomes a "black box," then there would be absolutely no way to guarantee its legitimacy.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I want to agree, but I feel like I am forced to disagree, as this would remove any transparency from the democratic process. If vote counting becomes a "black box," then there would be absolutely no way to guarantee its legitimacy.
How does that make it more of a black box? The voting and counting process would remain exactly the same, we just wouldn't have the public hearing about it until the end.

How does that make it more of a black box? The voting and counting process would remain exactly the same, we just wouldn't have the public hearing about it until the end.
I agree with the first part, but I doubt it would be possible to keep the ongoing tally a secret, even upon penalty of death. Therefore the only way to enforce the "no leaks" part is to minimize the number of people doing the counting and make it a black box, but then you lose the transparency AND as you reduce the number of people doing the tallying, the process becomes easier to subvert.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I agree with the first part, but I doubt it would be possible to keep the ongoing tally a secret, even upon penalty of death. Therefore the only way to enforce the "no leaks" part is to minimize the number of people doing the counting and make it a black box, but then you lose the transparency AND as you reduce the number of people doing the tallying, the process becomes easier to subvert.

--Patrick
No, it wouldn't guarantee absolute silence, and I see your point about how efforts to keep the secret would increase opportunities for corruption. However, I think it still would delegitimize a lot of the nonsense that does go on with election night reporting. More races would go unreported until all the counts were in, and that would normalize the idea that every vote should be counted, and that democracy takes time. Sure, there will always be elections where people will risk penalties in order to leak early numbers, but those will become the exception, and any news outlets reporting on them will be getting their information from criminals/whistleblowers.

figmentPez

Staff member

Philly police investigating alleged plot to attack Pennsylvania Convention Center

"Philadelphia police are investigating an alleged plot to attack the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia on Thursday night.

"Action News has learned that police got a tip about a group, possibly a family, driving up from Virginia in a Hummer to unleash an attack at the Convention Center where votes are being counted in Philadelphia.

"Action News was there as a man was taken into custody. It's unclear how or if the man is connected with the investigation.

"Police say they recovered a weapon and believe they recovered the Hummer they received a tip about."

WAIT!!!!

Putin passed laws this week that any former President can not be prosecuted.

Rumours flying today that Putin has parkinsons and will step down next year.

WAIT!!!!

Putin passed laws this week that any former President can not be prosecuted.

Rumours flying today that Putin has parkinsons and will step down next year.
Mr. Z told me about this last night. My question is, what stops the next Russian president from overturning that?

Last edited:
Mr. Z tolde about this last night. My question is, what stops the next Russian president from overturning that?
There is basically nothing to prevent the next Russian president from just straight up murdering Putin if they get the opportunity to do it. No one will prosecute them for it. That's just kind of how things fly in Russia.

Isn't the next president expected to be his daughter?

Regardless, I can't imagine the next president would bother with him. If he's that sick he'll probably be content to just be unfathomably rich for the rest of his life and left in peace. No point kicking a hornets nest.

I don't know why the networks are refusing to call it.
I feel like they should call NC, Nevada and Arizona now, and honestly might as well call Alaska. That would put Biden at exactly 270 and Trump at 231 or something. Georgia and Pennsylvania will no doubt be recounted, but they're technically not needed.

Pennsylvania will not get recounted. Biden is up 40k and it keeps getting bigger. Trump is just bitching about PA because if he won every other uncalled state but PA he would still lose.