Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Alex Hirsch crank-calling Trump's voter fraud hotline as Soos and Grunkle Stan may be one of my favorite parts of today.

I enjoyed the weekend outside my bubble I made, but I am going back under for the next week/months. On the one side it felt great seeing all the celebrations, but on the other hand watching so many people "certain" that fraud happened and bringing up like thirty different conspiracies (dead people, late night fake ballots, tossed ballots, double votes, kid votes, baby votes, sasquatch votes, etc etc etc.) is just making me annoyed. Many are even certain Trump will have proof of fraud at his next rally (oh did I mention he is going to keep having rallies all winter? FUN!) so this is going to be a total shit show till December when the election is fully verified, and honestly, likely a shitshow until he is thrown out in January.

This is why he needs to be indicted. I don't care how much this might cause unrest, the dude is going to create even more if we let him just hold supporter funded rallies for the next four years. The day his Twitter account get's banned is also going to be nice.

Have a good one yall.

GasBandit

Staff member
Apparently republicans are sick of twitter and facebook calling out their falsehoods, and have started their own social media replacement called Parler. From what I hear it's basically everything you'd expect it to be, if you expected it to be awful fascist conspiracy nonsense.

Apparently republicans are sick of twitter and facebook calling out their falsehoods, and have started their own social media replacement called Parler. From what I hear it's basically everything you'd expect it to be, if you expected it to be awful fascist conspiracy nonsense.
I mean, this is something like their third attempt this year at trying to make a new platform.

GasBandit

Staff member
I mean, this is something like their third attempt this year at trying to make a new platform.
This is the first time I've actually heard about it multiple times across other sources, so maybe this one is actually gaining traction.

figmentPez

Staff member
I saw someone asking about it on Facebook just this morning. There were several people defending it in the comments, promoting it as free from censorship. Which made me laugh, because I'm going to bet it either has censorship, or it's going to go down in flames for hosting all sorts of illegal shit. And if it does censor the sensible stuff like illegal and grossly immoral stuff, then I'm willing to bet it also censors anti-Republican political views.

It's hilariously their exact version of free speech too. Say anything contrary to their bullshit nonsense and you're banned.

This is the first time I've actually heard about it multiple times across other sources, so maybe this one is actually gaining traction.
None of them are ever able to really gain traction for two main reasons:

- No one wants to advertise on a platform that doesn't just allow but is designed to facilitate what would be considered hate speech
- No one wants to be held accountable for that speech ether and the Feds DO troll those networks for intel.

As such, they generally can't find hosting in a way that would make such platforms sustaining, so they always crumble and fail. It's not like 8chan, which is basically run by hobbyists on their own dime; this platform needs to be able to generate enough revenue to be sustaining.

It's hilariously their exact version of free speech too. Say anything contrary to their bullshit nonsense and you're banned.
They feel entitled to do such because society at large (rightfully) censors them. But Leftists don't go into Conservative spaces unless they absolutely have to, so who cares?

Wife was telling me about this, since some people she knows were talking about it online.
You have to give your phone number to join.
And once you join, the "delete your account" option does not appear to work. In for a penny, I guess...

--Patrick

Wife was telling me about this, since some people she knows were talking about it online.
You have to give your phone number to join.
And once you join, the "delete your account" option does not appear to work. In for a penny, I guess...

--Patrick
Sounds like an effective honeypot.*

*Do honeypots actually exist? It feels like everyone wants to tell themselves all these fascist places are them, but they don't really seem to be.

Well, with Trump most likely going to have his Twitter account neutered once he is no longer president I’m guessing he’ll move to something like this. Which will probably give them all the users they need to keep it open.

I'm pretty sure it's intended to refer to Parlor , not Parler, and the o>e is just like leaving off letters - trying to keep the name cooler. And failing.

Isn't it more like Par-leh ? Parl-lay is more how english people say it after hearing it instead of reading it.
Not a native speaker of French (so I'll defer to others about nuances of regional pronunciation) but "parler" as the infinitive form of the verb "to speak" would indeed be pronunced "par-LAY" in French. The pronunciation "par-leh" sounds more like what you could get with poetic/lyrical pronunciation of the first/second/third person present formation of the verb (parle/parles/parle) if used in a poem or song, though in normal speaking those would all be pronounced "parl."

ETA: unless the "leh" in your example is just a more nasal version of "lay," which could be appropriate; I had read it more as a "LUH" sound. /nerd :)

ETA: unless the "leh" in your example is just a more nasal version of "lay," which could be appropriate; I had read it more as a "LUH" sound. /nerd :)
Yeah, i was reading "lay" the english way... since that's how they say it in pirate films.

But since english isn't my 1st language, and i've got a nice phonetic language here, i have no clue if i got it right.