Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

I hope that little bastard goes to prison for a long, long time. Of course he’ll be acquitted because our world is shit these days, but I can still dream.

Damn what a video to just stumble on tonight.... Not sure if it's ever been posted here, but it really lays out how things started and how things have been going when it comes to conspiracy and QAnon. Watching it for the first time with hindsight is downright spooky since this was published before the election even happened.

It's a long video, and I highly recommend watching the whole thing if you have over an hour to burn, but for the most concise break down, skip to 1:12:00.

(I also recommend 1:03:30 for some prophetic takes on Jan 6th)

Last edited:
Random US political thought based on Mitt Romney putting forth a bill to give money to familes and such. I think he sucks balls but he's like the only Republican who's not staying on course with Trumpism.

Random US political thought based on Mitt Romney putting forth a bill to give money to familes and such. I think he sucks balls but he's like the only Republican who's not staying on course with Trumpism.
I disagree with Mitt Romney on most issues, but I have always respected him. He seems to genuinely believe in his positions (rather than just say/do whatever is politically advantageous) and he seems to genuinely be trying to make the country a better place.

(I also recommend 1:03:30 for some prophetic takes on Jan 6th)
FYI, you're not a prophet if you just state the obvious result of telling people to prepare for a "day of reckoning" for their political opponents, who are also secretly whampiric, Santa worshiping PeterFiles.

I mean, you wouldn't call my statement prophetic if i said your 2 stick pile would become a 4 stick pile if you added these 2 stick to it, would you...

I disagree with Mitt Romney on most issues, but I have always respected him. He seems to genuinely believe in his positions (rather than just say/do whatever is politically advantageous) and he seems to genuinely be trying to make the country a better place.
That honestly makes him worse for me? He outright told his donors that he doesn't give a shit about 47% of the population. He's still a politician, looking to fleece people for profit.

I could maybe respect him if he didn't willingly get behind a despot just for political gain and lower taxes on the rich. He's just as complicit as the rest.

Oh that's right, I keep forgetting we live in an Orwellian novel. Amazon to put 4 AI monitored cameras in the cabs of their delivery drivers.

Leaving aside most of the privacy concerns the take a 15 minute break if the AI detects you yawning is going to screw over the drivers based on the way Amazon treats its workers. Either they
a) Don't pull over as instructed & face disciplinary action.
b) Do pull over then don't have enough time to do all their deliveries & face disciplinary action, or
c) Do pull over then don't have enough time to do all their deliveries & do (more) unpaid overtime to get everything done.

Oh that's right, I keep forgetting we live in an Orwellian novel. Amazon to put 4 AI monitored cameras in the cabs of their delivery drivers.

Leaving aside most of the privacy concerns the take a 15 minute break if the AI detects you yawning is going to screw over the drivers based on the way Amazon treats its workers. Either they
a) Don't pull over as instructed & face disciplinary action.
b) Do pull over then don't have enough time to do all their deliveries & face disciplinary action, or
c) Do pull over then don't have enough time to do all their deliveries & do (more) unpaid overtime to get everything done.
d) Bezos gets dragged behind one of these trucks at freeway speed when the revolution comes.

Ah yes, let’s go back to allowing companies to force workers to live in the company’s housing, shop at their stores, and go to their schools. They’ll even get to tax their own employees now too!

A comedy in two acts:

Election technology company Smartmatic filed a massive lawsuit Thursday against Fox News, saying the network and some of its biggest on-air personalities made it into a villain and perpetuated false claims about the recent election.​
The suit names Fox stars Lou Dobbs, Maria Bartiromo and Jeanine Pirro, as well as Trump allies Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell. (NPR)​

Lou Dobbs, by far the highest-rated host on the Fox Business Network, has just been canned by the network.​
Friday night was his final broadcast, a Fox spokesperson told The Los Angeles Times. (CNN)​

Ah yes, let’s go back to allowing companies to force workers to live in the company’s housing, shop at their stores, and go to their schools. They’ll even get to tax their own employees now too!
But at least now we'll get those sweet ass cyber-implants...

I was wondering how the fuck they hacked into the water system until I read the article and saw them say they used TeamViewer. Fucking worthless program.

Little anecdote, but two or three years ago I used TeamViewer to run a second computer from my main one. One morning I woke up and TeamViewer had a little box saying someone was logged into my main computer. They tooled around with some things but I got there in enough time to shut it down before anything bad happened. I changed the password to a stronger, more difficult password, setup 2FA, pretty much turned on every security feature TeamViewer lets you have. I figured things are good enough, went about my day, and went to sleep that night. Figured it was my own error for not being more cautious and enabling all the security.

Woke up the next morning, same little box saying someone has accessed my computer, look around and find out they discovered my Amazon account was visible (all my other online accounts required 2FA and other safeguards) so they sent themselves my entire gift card balance ($200) using a digital gift card and a burner e-mail. I was so fucking pissed. TeamViewer was such a shitty program that even with all their security enabled, a new strong password, and even 2FA activated, they had such a blatant backdoor that a hacker was able to access my computer anyways (TWICE!). I scrubbed the program from my system and cleaned out every trace that it existed. I have moved on to more secure remote desktops now.

Moral of the story is never use fucking TeamViewer, especially on important infrastructure.

I was wondering how the fuck they hacked into the water system until I read the article and saw them say they used TeamViewer. Fucking worthless program.

Little anecdote, but two or three years ago I used TeamViewer to run a second computer from my main one. One morning I woke up and TeamViewer had a little box saying someone was logged into my main computer. They tooled around with some things but I got there in enough time to shut it down before anything bad happened. I changed the password to a stronger, more difficult password, setup 2FA, pretty much turned on every security feature TeamViewer lets you have. I figured things are good enough, went about my day, and went to sleep that night. Figured it was my own error for not being more cautious and enabling all the security.

Woke up the next morning, same little box saying someone has accessed my computer, look around and find out they discovered my Amazon account was visible (all my other online accounts required 2FA and other safeguards) so they sent themselves my entire gift card balance ($200) using a digital gift card and a burner e-mail. I was so fucking pissed. TeamViewer was such a shitty program that even with all their security enabled, a new strong password, and even 2FA activated, they had such a blatant backdoor that a hacker was able to access my computer anyways (TWICE!). I scrubbed the program from my system and cleaned out every trace that it existed. I have moved on to more secure remote desktops now.

Moral of the story is never use fucking TeamViewer, especially on important infrastructure.
I am continuously surprised by the amount of companies that will block any type of remote support software EXCEPT TeamViewer. It is, in my experience, the very worst. Yes, it's free and easy ,but it's also insecure, slow, unwieldy, disconnects for a bunch of reasons (such as restarting the computer), doesn't allow admin rights, doesn't allow a whole lot of stuff, UNLESS you just circumvent their limitations at which point it's suddenly a wide open highway to access anything you want. Heck, it even lets you remotely disable the physical inputs, meaning the person whose computer you're taking over can't type or scroll or shut down anymore (except by use of the power button or power cord).
I'm not saying what we use (GoToAssist) is so much better - but it's at least twice as secure and has a lot more flexibility.

I fail to see why all of these infrastructure systems need to be attached to the internet.
Communications and email for the staff? Sure. A post-box system to pick up monitored systems and rebroadcast graphs and such? Sure. But directly connected? You're just asking for it at that point. Didn't Matthew Broderick teach you anything?

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
In my experience, the answer is usually because they farmed out the setup, maintenance, and installation of these systems to other companies with no local presence, and they don't want to pay for that company's travel and hotel expenses to come and work on the system, so they set them up a remote access portal.

But doing that with Teamviewer is a bad idea. There are other, much more secure ways to accomplish that.

But Teamviewer is free and requires almost no technical knowledge.

I used to use teamviewer on all my personal stuff too, but I don't any more. Now I just use VNC, which isn't the best (no 2FA), but it's better than Teamviewer, which is notoriously vulnerable.

Professionally, most of our big clients give us VPN access, and when we need direct connection to a system, we use Connectwise Control, the "controller" end of which requires 2FA and is only accessible from our physical network (or our VPN, which also requires its own 2FA).

Gosh I sure love Texas. /s

Dan Patrick : "The vote was fraudulent and the people of Texas need to consider suceding from the USA rather then live through this false presidency."

*The mavs stop playing the national anthem before their games.*

Dan Patrick : "This is an outrage! We are passing a law that will force every public event to sing the glorious star spangled banner or lose funding. No one shall ever challenge the glory of the United States."

I paraphrased but that's the crux of my latest headaches.