Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

GasBandit

Staff member
Policy wise and points wise, Republicans from back in the day are much closer to Biden or Hillary than to what now constitutes the Republican party.
I think the vast majority of republicans only care about one policy: democrats bad. That's it. It took a LOT for any of them to not vote for Trump (and some still did), but now that he isn't President, the default condition is reasserting itself.

GasBandit

Staff member

FTA said:
What we are seeing in Afghanistan right now shouldn’t shock you. It only seems that way because our institutions are steeped in systematic dishonesty. It doesn’t require a dissertation to explain what you’re seeing. Just two sentences.

One: For 20 years, politicians, elites and D.C. military leaders lied to us about Afghanistan.
Two: What happened last week was inevitable, and anyone saying differently is still lying to you.
The whole article is quite the read.

I think the vast majority of republicans only care about one policy: democrats bad. That's it. It took a LOT for any of them to not vote for Trump (and some still did), but now that he isn't President, the default condition is reasserting itself.
Democrats are bad, so I can't fault that logic, even though I say this as a leftist that begrudgingly votes for them. But the fact they can't see the obvious bald faced grift that is the entire gop is mind boggling

Dave

Staff member
Democrats are bad, so I can't fault that logic, even though I say this as a leftist that begrudgingly votes for them. But the fact they can't see the obvious bald faced grift that is the entire gop is mind boggling
They see it, they're just too spineless to DO anything about it.

ISIS attacks around Kabul airport today have so far claimed at least 60 lives and have left 140 wounded.
Or, to put it in terms Americans care about, 12 Americans have died.

Dave

Staff member
How many of the 12 dead were white?
I hope you're being sarcastic, otherwise your post fills me with revulsion. What an ignorant thing to say.

Okay, I didn't read the post before it. You were being sarcastic. I see what you were going for. Bravo!

And the fun isn't over yet - AFP and Reuters are reporting yet another "major" explosion nearby.

Truly, the Afghanistan withdrawal is the pinnacle of military achievement. Such a successful end to a campaign, the whole world is filled with wonder.

ISIS attacks around Kabul airport today have so far claimed at least 60 lives and have left 140 wounded.
Or, to put it in terms Americans care about, 12 Americans have died.
You do realize that this kind of shit happened very regularly while the US was fighting in Afghanistan?

You do realize that this kind of shit happened very regularly while the US was fighting in Afghanistan?
You do realize more civilians died in Afghanistan today by bombings than in all of June and July?

"oh, there's bombings all the time" =/= "the same size and type of bombings were happening"

And also, these are ISK bombings to destabilize the Taliban, mostly. Apparently this third one might be caused by the US Army, though we don't have confirmation yet? It's all in good fun, really.

"this happened regularly while the US was "peacekeeping" so it's OK that it continues when they leave" isn't in any way a good argument that your withdrawal is going as planned or is good. If anything, it's only further proof your peace keeping mission was already failing and needed more support to be a success. "When the going gets tough, the tough get the fuck out because it's not in their self-interest to stay" isn't how the US likes to project themselves through media, but it damn well is how they behave.

Trump's withdrawal from Syria was also a shitshow, and one having an impact today. ISIS was basically left to do whatever they wanted, like taking potshots at the US in Afghanistan. Maybe we should rethink our engaging in any military actions without thinking more about our exit strategies and long-term impact

And the fun isn't over yet - AFP and Reuters are reporting yet another "major" explosion nearby.

Truly, the Afghanistan withdrawal is the pinnacle of military achievement. Such a successful end to a campaign, the whole world is filled with wonder.
Your constant criticism of the US military truly hurts. We Americans can only aspire to be like the beacon of hope that is the Belgian military.

"this happened regularly while the US was "peacekeeping" so it's OK that it continues when they leave" isn't in any way a good argument that your withdrawal is going as planned or is good. If anything, it's only further proof your peace keeping mission was already failing and needed more support to be a success. "When the going gets tough, the tough get the fuck out because it's not in their self-interest to stay" isn't how the US likes to project themselves through media, but it damn well is how they behave.
So, forever war?

Your constant criticism of the US military truly hurts. We Americans can only aspire to be like the beacon of hope that is the Belgian military.
Hey now, we're super efficient. At providing low cost jobs for low education people who would otherwise struggle to find a job
We're also very effective at blowing up our own planes.
And, slightly more seriously, we are supposed to be in the top three and top five in the world for mine clearing at sea and on the ground. We're also active in a surprising amount of active post-war rebuilding efforts and providing support for local troops. It's what you get when pacifists mostly get to run the army, and you've got a big brother to protect you.

GasBandit

Staff member
I am reminded of the general who was forced to resign when, during the planning of the first gulf war in the 1990s, gumbled to everyone present (including President HW Bush) that the best way to avoid quagmire in the middle east was just to "nuke the whole place until the entire desert was a single sheet of molten glass. Then we strap fatpacks to our feet and go skating."

I tried googling up that quote to find out who it was exactly (after all I was 12, so I don't remember everything clearly), but my google fu has failed me.

You do realize more civilians died in Afghanistan today by bombings than in all of June and July?
Why exactly are you constantly lying? Or are we using some kind of new math where 60 is greater than 189.

Or maybe only people who die in bombings are worthy of your sympathy?

"oh, there's bombings all the time" =/= "the same size and type of bombings were happening"

And also, these are ISK bombings to destabilize the Taliban, mostly. Apparently this third one might be caused by the US Army, though we don't have confirmation yet? It's all in good fun, really.
Yeah that seems about right. Suicide bombers attack evacuating US personnel and Afghanis fleeing the Taliban and you believe it was meant to destabilize the Taliban. Seems like the legit thoughts of a smart person.

Right just needed more support maybe another $2 Trillion, 4,000 American lives and another 71,000 Afghani deaths probably would have done it. Staying in a forever war wouldn't have helped make any of this better.

figmentPez

Staff member
School District Opts Out Of Free Lunch Program So Kids Don’t ‘Become Spoiled’

"One school board member’s stated reason for being the only eligible school district in the state to decline the program? Kids might 'become spoiled' by free lunches. "

"assistant superintendent for business services Darren Clark cited his concern that continuing with the free program might initiate a 'slow addiction' to the service."

"One school board member’s stated reason for being the only eligible school district in the state to decline the program? Kids might 'become spoiled' by free lunches. "

"assistant superintendent for business services Darren Clark cited his concern that continuing with the free program might initiate a 'slow addiction' to the service."
I’ve seen how shitty these free lunches are. Ain’t nobody being spoiled. Stupid assholes.

lol, "we date back to the founding fathers" I guess if you count 4 or 5 unrelated organizations being formed over 280 years and ICE being eventually created as dating back to the founding fathers, sure.

You all know how I feel about ICE, so...

You know what else might happen? Those poor kids in your district might get fed. They'd start getting proper nutirition and would be able to study more effectively. They'd get a better education and then they might just start understanding what sort of shit show assholes like that are running.

Having worked in a school district that had a majority of students falling below the poverty line, I saw the effects. People were too proud to ask for help when they really needed it. Or the forms were confusing to non-english speakers. Kids would get bullied for needing the free lunch and so they wouldn't get it, etc. etc. When the district switched to providing free lunch for everyone it made a big difference.

Putting my soapbox away now. Stuff like that angers me.

lol, "we date back to the founding fathers" I guess if you count 4 or 5 unrelated organizations being formed over 280 years and ICE being eventually created as dating back to the founding fathers, sure.

You all know how I feel about ICE, so...
"Listen, you might think we're a relatively new evil, but we actually draw our heritage from a storied tradition of evil."

This sounds as logical as that explanation of why fire engines are painted red.

--Patrick

Last edited:
My local buffalo wild wings is doing the thing today1B73FD7A-E006-44BC-8757-1FE3DD3985BE.jpeg

@Tress they put the 13 beers and a flag out for the soldiers killed in Afghanistan over the weekend. It’s the latest social media thing, as shown above as well.

Last edited: