Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

"What Trump Can Teach Us About Con Law" (they are looking for a new name) has an excellent episode about the shadow docket and how it's increasingly being used to push through partisan rulings without hearing any oral arguments.

Do we need to break out the Karnaugh maps?
Every time I see "Karnaugh map" I think of Carnor Jax, a character from the old Star Wars expanded universe. He was involved in a storyline that basically went, "Hey you know the Emperor's royal guards, the ones in those red robes? What if, instead of standing around doing nothing, they were really awesome instead?"

So I just realized that in LoTR, the Ents were the US in WW2. Slow to get involved until they made it about themselves despite the greater danger to the rest of the world.

Holy shit, they've already got the websites ready to go that the California recall elections were fraudulent....and it's not done yet....

One of my brilliant ( :rolleyes: ) fellow teachers just landed on the local news for kicking a girl out of her class. The student's alleged crime? Wearing this shirt:

1631650569250.png

Apparently my colleague told the girl that she was "inciting violence" by wearing that shirt. Ugh. This year has already been a shitshow, and I'm willing to bet this is going to make school get dragged through the mud again in the local news.

One of my brilliant ( :rolleyes: ) fellow teachers just landed on the local news for kicking a girl out of her class. The student's alleged crime? Wearing this shirt:

View attachment 38837

Apparently my colleague told the girl that she was "inciting violence" by wearing that shirt. Ugh. This year has already been a shitshow, and I'm willing to bet this is going to make school get dragged through the mud again in the local news.
How is "free Palestine" instigating violence?
If there's some "no political messages" policy, fair enough. If it's about "instigating violence", that's BS.

How is "free Palestine" instigating violence?
If there's some "no political messages" policy, fair enough. If it's about "instigating violence", that's BS.
No, you hit it right on the head. We actually have a relaxed dress code that only prohibits things like direct references to drugs, alcohol, sex, or violence. I have no fucking idea what this person thought they were doing when they said that to the student. All I can say is that the colleague is hella old, and I think they are a bit on the conservative side (but that's speculation - I don't know the person that well).

View attachment 38837

I've tried writing some kind of "free Palestine" joke but using the word "free" meaning price, not freedom. And I just can't seem to make it work.

Newsom won with 67%. And that matches pretty well with census data, polling, and registration numbers. Let Elder whine all he wants; he lost fair and square. He never stood a chance.

But Trump has shown us the truth doesn’t matter and idiots will still give him handfuls of cash.

View attachment 38837

FOLLOW-UP TIME!

This news story was complete bullshit. My colleague is clumsy socially, but they said nothing inappropriate and were well-intentioned. The student was upset about perceived bias from another student, and the teacher was trying to better understand. The teacher just asked if the other kid reacted to the shirt, but did not say anything negative about the shirt itself. And because the student was still crying, the teacher offered to send the kid to the counselor. So the student was technically sent out, but it was in an attempt to help. And it was not tied to the shirt.

The parent is overreacting, my admin is being their usually shitty selves and not defending us at all, and the rest of us are fucking furious.

Last edited:
Let Elder whine all he wants; he lost fair and square. He never stood a chance.
You act like he lost, but Elder actually won. Yes, he didn't get the Governor seat, but that was not the only prize he craved. No, he wanted to be the top of the California GOP most of all, and since his numbers blew all the other Republican runners out of the water, he is going to be the top runner for the state, and thus get those sweet, sweet donations / sponsorships / bribes and many other people begging him for his support. People like Catelyn Jenner are the big losers, having such low numbers that their political career is dead before it really started.