Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

My primary elections are today. I wasn’t familiar with the guy running against the incumbent State Senator so I looked at the platform on his website.

Folks, let me tell you, starting your platform with this is a great way to lose the Blotsfan vote.

4CFA9C19-AFEC-475A-AD59-11F13EC31C06.png

The problem there is - and I do agree with you in some ways - that such a sentiment SHOULD be positive and applauded. Being willing and able to work with people with a different point of view is a great and important, I'd almost say foundational, trademark of a well functioning democracy. Try to find middle ground, try to find a good compromise, accept decisions you may not agree with but were determined by an honest majority. It may lead to a more centrist and somewhat slower approach than some might want, but it helps prevent excesses and wild unpredictable swings in policy.

Modern day Republicans have completely and utterly deserted that path and have gone far off the deep end; they're pretty much in the "I'm only intolerant towards the intolerant" category and have been for a while, and especially since Trump (though it was already there during the Obama years) they have completely given up on working in good faith or with any desire to accomplish the greatest good for the majority. Having a different point of view on morality is all well and good - it's a valid opinion to be in favor of the death penalty, or against social services (both stupid as a bag of rocks, but a valid point of view). Lying, deceiving, and perverting every law for the express purpose of avoiding accountability and gaining personal power is against the very basic tenets of democracy and frankly, any senator or representative who has deliberately lied to the public (which is pretty much 90% of Republicans and probably 50% of Democrats) should be barred from ever holding office again.

The problem there is - and I do agree with you in some ways - that such a sentiment SHOULD be positive and applauded. Being willing and able to work with people with a different point of view is a great and important, I'd almost say foundational, trademark of a well functioning democracy. Try to find middle ground, try to find a good compromise, accept decisions you may not agree with but were determined by an honest majority. It may lead to a more centrist and somewhat slower approach than some might want, but it helps prevent excesses and wild unpredictable swings in policy.

Modern day Republicans have completely and utterly deserted that path and have gone far off the deep end; they're pretty much in the "I'm only intolerant towards the intolerant" category and have been for a while, and especially since Trump (though it was already there during the Obama years) they have completely given up on working in good faith or with any desire to accomplish the greatest good for the majority. Having a different point of view on morality is all well and good - it's a valid opinion to be in favor of the death penalty, or against social services (both stupid as a bag of rocks, but a valid point of view). Lying, deceiving, and perverting every law for the express purpose of avoiding accountability and gaining personal power is against the very basic tenets of democracy and frankly, any senator or representative who has deliberately lied to the public (which is pretty much 90% of Republicans and probably 50% of Democrats) should be barred from ever holding office again.
Pretty much this. Under normal circumstances one could conceivably compromise and try to meet in the middle, but the current GOP is so extreme there is no middle to see. When one side is extreme to the point of "kill all the Jews" the middle ground isn't "well maybe only kill half the Jews".

At this point the Republican party is basically a dangerous terrorist group and anyone still aligning with them just be seen as dangerous

What I find incredibly saddening is that even political experts and such (e.g. fivethirtyeight, but same seemingly holds true across the 'net) can't seem to come up with anyone who'd be a good or better candidate than Trump and Biden for 2024. One would be 86 at the end of his term, the other 83.
75 was BAD, but 86?! Holy potatoes, that's in the "they shouldn't be allowed to drive anymore" territory.
I'm not saying presidents should be 35 year olds applying for their first job, I can understand why there's a minimum age. But really...Nothing? Nobody capable available from after 1950? FFS.

My primary elections are today. I wasn’t familiar with the guy running against the incumbent State Senator so I looked at the platform on his website.

Folks, let me tell you, starting your platform with this is a great way to lose the Blotsfan vote.

View attachment 42325
After a bit more research, the guy is very clearly a Republican who understands that a registered Republican will have no chance to win that seat. I’m glad with my choice.

Modern day Republicans [are] pretty much in the "I'm only intolerant towards the intolerant" category and have been for a while
This is absolutely not true. It is not that they are only intolerant towards the intolerant, instead it is that they are plain old intolerant.

--Patrick

Awhile back there was a tweet about how she looks a lot like Lee Corso (you can google him) and I was wondering if the trans-conspiracy people would pick up on her being a secret trans person and go after her. Kinda wonder if that happened.

Reactions: Cat
LOL FUCKING NEVERMIND ABOVE

She's apparently decided it's trans' people's fault she was swatted by kiwifarms. It's too bad the swatting attempt wasn't fucking successful.

1661445899638.png

Dave

Staff member
Everyone trying to swat someone always tells the operator that they are upset and swatting. I mean, why wouldn’t they? :rolleyes:

And then there's this magical thread, where people reply "This you?" to people complaining about the loan forgiving...with screenshots of proof where they had their own loans forgiven. Oopsie doodle.

Gavin McIness (Vice cofounder, Proud Boys founder, eternal shame of Canada) was arrested while livestreaming yesterday. That plus all that Trump affidavit shit has me feeling......hopeful? It's fucked up.

Couldn't happen to a smaller chin.

Gavin McIness (Vice cofounder, Proud Boys founder, eternal shame of Canada) was arrested while livestreaming yesterday. That plus all that Trump affidavit shit has me feeling......hopeful? It's fucked up.

Couldn't happen to a smaller chin.

Poop.

Wish I could find out more on this but it's hard to stay focused post surgery, but supposedly a CIA memo said that 2021 saw an extremely high rate of "human assets" getting killed, arrested, or just plain disappearing. Human assets are like foreign informants, spies, etc, that help our intelligence apparatus.

Guess who had documents at his golf resort with lists of top secret human assets? Guess who also had a Russian woman as part of his entourage for the last year with a fake identity?

Even if he was not selling the info himself, the fact he never secured the documents means anyone with enough Trump clout could have just walked in and taken photos of whatever they wanted. This keeps getting worst and worst.

Wish I could find out more on this but it's hard to stay focused post surgery, but supposedly a CIA memo said that 2021 saw an extremely high rate of "human assets" getting killed, arrested, or just plain disappearing. Human assets are like foreign informants, spies, etc, that help our intelligence apparatus.

Guess who had documents at his golf resort with lists of top secret human assets? Guess who also had a Russian woman as part of his entourage for the last year with a fake identity?

Even if he was not selling the info himself, the fact he never secured the documents means anyone with enough Trump clout could have just walked in and taken photos of whatever they wanted. This keeps getting worst and worst.
All the people crying about the Deep State should be crying about the Russians.

$250/day ? How the hell are they ever supposed to repay that?

In Canada it's $25/wk taken out of the salary you earn working in CORCAN shops as part of your rehabilitation.

It is shocking to see the level of their shamelessness. I expect hypocrisy it’s practically a badge of honor for the GOP. But complaining about debt relief after you put $2 million in your own pocket is shamelessness on an level I couldn’t conceive of previously.

In my opinion, since prisons are taxpayer funded, they shouldn't charge inmates ANYTHING. In fact, they should SPEND more money on weird things like, oh I don't know, REHABILITATION?!?
Since a part of my job is being a western union agent, I regularly send money transfers for people sending money to relatives in prison. The fact that you can be imprisoned and still have to pay for shit you need in there is frankly horrifying to me.

GasBandit

Staff member
Just throwing this here, in case anybody's curious to find out for themselves who else got PPP loans forgiven

I'm sorry, but I believe if you take out a loan, you should pay back that loan. Being responsible for your own finances is a part of being an adult.
There are those who would argue the terms of (many of) those loans have been unfair at best, and downright bordering on usury at the worst.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
How much are student loans in Finland?
From what I read, tuition in Finland is covered entirely by the state, so long as you are a citizen of an EU country. Some do take loans out for housing and other expenses that can be up to 3900 EUR every six months. And apparently, consequently, Finland is also now seeing a rise of student debt as well.

Also, most of these loans are given out to people who are not yet considered adults in many states. Seeing how the drinking and smoking ages are 21 in a lot of states. So, I’d argue allowing someone who’s not old enough to make an informed decision on alcohol rack up hundreds of thousands in debt would be a bit predatory.

But, I don’t see why bailing out businesses who take on risky debt or fail to plan properly get bailed out all the time, and it’s suddenly an issue when we start talking about lower income people.

There are those who would argue the terms of (many of) those loans have been unfair at best, and downright bordering on usury at the worst.

--Patrick
I'm not so sure they were tricked into signing the loan contract, nor that they had a gun to their head. Rather, I believe they wanted their particular degree, and knew, or should have known, what it would cost them. And they chose to sign the contract out of their own free will.