Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

figmentPez

Staff member
Didnt stop him from sounding like a lunatic though.
Yeah, he still told ALL of the lies, but he didn't start rambling about sharks, or electricity, or low-flow toilets, or windmills, or any of the other really bizarre stuff he fixates on. Apparently his team kept him away from whatever nose-candy usually causes his intrusive thoughts to win out.

Let's just review the recent supreme court shenanigans all in one place....

The Supreme Court struck down part of a federal anti-corruption law and ruled that state officials may accept “gratuities” from people who wish to reward them for their official actions. The ruling vacates the bribery conviction of a former Indiana mayor, who accepted $13,000 from a trucking company after he directed about $1 million worth of city contracts to the company. The ruling, 6-3 along ideological lines, says federal anti-corruption laws only apply to situations where officials accept gifts before taking government action – not to being rewarded after. Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson wrote in her dissent that the ruling relied on an “absurd and atextual reading of the statute” that “only today’s Court could love.” (New York Times / Washington Post / Associated Press / Vox / Huffpost / CNN / New Republic)

The Supreme Court stripped the Securities and Exchange Commission of its main tool for enforcing rules against securities fraud. The 6-3 decision means the SEC can no longer use its in-house court to enforce regulations and imposes penalties.Defendants accused of fraud now have the right to a jury trial. Justice Sonia Sotomayor, joined by Justices Elena Kagan and Ketanji Brown Jackson, dissented and accused the conservative majority of upending “longstanding precedent” to cut back on the authority of federal agencies and that “litigants who seek to dismantle the administrative state” would rejoice in the decision. (Associated Press / New York Times / Washington Post / Bloomberg / NBC News / Politico / NPR / Axios)

The Supreme Court limited the EPA’s ability to regulate air quality. The EPA’s “Good Neighbor Plan” would curb nitrogen oxide pollution from industrial facilities, and apply to 23 “upwind” states whose emissions can contribute to pollution in “downwind” states. The EPA said the plan would help prevent premature deaths, reduce emergency room visits, and cut asthma symptoms by limiting the amount of smog. By a 5 to 4 vote, the court ruled that the emissions-reductions standards set by the “Good Neighbor Plan” were likely to cause “irreparable harm” to about half the states unless the court halted the rule to consider challenges pressed by upwind states. (NBC News / NPR / Bloomberg / Washington Post / Associated Press / New York Times)
Any and every decision made by this court needs to be thrown out and reevaluated by a new court after two of three of these folks have been taken out back and shot for being a domestic threat to America.

Right-wing activist Robby Starbuck said:
[Some examples of TSC's "woke agenda" include:]
  • "LGBTQIA+ training for employees
  • Funding pride/drag events
  • They have a DEI Council
  • Funding sex changes
  • Climate change activism
  • Pride month decorations in the office
  • DEI hiring practices
  • LGBTQIA+ events at work"
5 days later...
Right-wing activist Robby Starbuck said:
"This monumental change is thanks to all of you who supported my work exposing this, to the whistleblowers in Tractor Supply and my fellow farm owners who respectfully spoke up. I’m working to get more information about these changes but this is a fantastic moment for the fight to banish wokeness, DEI and ESG from the workplace."
Robby, you're going on the li-- oh, wait. Looks like you were on there already? Well, let's move you closer to the top.

--Patrick

If only we could have that candidate without it being a doddering old man. Democrats are going to go on at length about how democracy is on the line with this election about how this is the most important election of our lifetime and then they’re going to run out Joe Biden and show that it’s all a fucking lie. That they don’t give a single shit about democracy if they did they wouldn’t have allowed it to get this far.

Paywalled, sorry:

Thing is, though, if he drops out, who could the Democrats possibly replace him with so short notice that would stand a chance?

Kamala Harris wouldn't be enough because America is still racist and sexist enough to vote against a black woman, without even taking into account anything else about her.

The problem is, too, that Trump is as charismatic as he is a dangerous idiot. It's largely why he has such a devoted cult. I truly don't know who could be a safe pick against him.

Thing is, though, if he drops out, who could the Democrats possibly replace him with so short notice that would stand a chance?

Kamala Harris wouldn't be enough because America is still racist and sexist enough to vote against a black woman, without even taking into account anything else about her.

The problem is, too, that Trump is as charismatic as he is a dangerous idiot. It's largely why he has such a devoted cult. I truly don't know who could be a safe pick against him.
I have no idea. It is definitely a hail Mary pass. I would like to think people have considered options if he were to die or become incapacitated.

Related, from Newsweek:
RealClearPolling averages show that limited surveys suggest that Harris has an even bigger disadvantage than Biden if she were to run against Trump. The former president leads Harris by 6.6 percentage points, with 49.3 percent support to the Democrat's 42.7 percent. RCP averages show Trump ahead of Biden by just 1.5 points, with 46.6 percent to the president's 45.1 percent.

At this point people voting Biden aren’t going to be voting for Biden they’re voting for the D behind him. So long as they don’t choose some kind of George Latimer piece of shit it’ll be an upgrade.

I mean we said the same thing about Obama. Course Kamala isn’t the orator Obama was and has even less charisma than Hillary but you get a lady version of Obama I can see her taking the Oval Office.

And I believe that safe picks are how we got here in the first place and I don’t think they’re what are going to get us out.

Problem being a lot of these polls are just asking T v B.
Some other polls are showing Kennedy with 15-20% of support in some states. He's not going to win, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing a decisive role in eroding or diluting the anti-T vote. "anything better than either of these two isn't... I mean, I can't actually disagree with that.

GasBandit

Staff member
The Supreme Court hits just keep on coming.

The Supreme Court ruled that the Justice Department improperly charged charge more than 300 people with obstructing Congress during the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol, including Trump’s. In a 6-3 ruling — in which two justices crossed ideological lines — the court concluded that a 2002 law, which was enacted after the Enron scandal to prevent destruction of evidence in financial crimes, only applied in cases where the alleged obstruction related to “impairing the availability or integrity” of “records, documents, or objects” used in the disrupted proceeding. The court ruled that the Justice Department had applied the law too broadly and that the physical presence of some of the rioters inside the Capitol alone was not “obstruction of an official proceeding” under the law. The ruling may force prosecutors to reconsider charges in dozens of pending cases, and judges may need to resentence some defendants already sent to prison for interfering with Congress’ effort to certify Biden’s victory. (Associated Press / Politico / NPR / Washington Post / New York Times / Wall Street Journal / CNN / NBC News / ABC News)

The Supreme Court upended a 40-year-old decision and weakened the executive branch’s ability to interpret laws it’s charged with implementing. The court’s six conservative justices overturned the 1984 decision colloquially known as Chevron, which required judges to defer to federal agencies’ “reasonable” interpretations of “ambiguous” federal laws. The ruling expands the power of federal judges to overturn agency decisions over environmental, public health, workplace safety, consumer protections, and more. The precedent, Chevron v. Natural Resources Defense Council, is one of the most cited in American law. (Politico / Axios / Associated Press / NPR / New York Times / Washington Post / Bloomberg / CNN / Wall Street Journal / ABC News)

The Supreme Court ruled that cities can ban people from sleeping and camping in public places. In its first ruling on homelessness in four decades, the court found that a local ordinance in a small Oregon town, which criminalize behaviors associated with being unhoused, like sleeping or camping on public property or in parks, doesn’t amount to “cruel and unusual” punishment under the Eighth Amendment even when no shelter is available. In Justice Sonia Sotomayor’s dissent, she called laws against homeless individuals “unconscionable and unconstitutional,” saying “Sleep is a biological necessity, not a crime.” Writing for the majority, Justice Neil Gorsuch said homelessness is complex, but the Eighth Amendment “does not authorize federal judges to wrest those rights and responsibilities from the American people and in their place dictate this Nation’s homelessness policy.” (Washington Post / New York Times / ABC News / NPR / Axios / Associated Press / Politico / Bloomberg / Wall Street Journal)

The Supreme Court ruled that cities can ban people from sleeping and camping in public places. In its first ruling on homelessness in four decades, the court found that a local ordinance in a small Oregon town, which criminalize behaviors associated with being unhoused, like sleeping or camping on public property or in parks, doesn’t amount to “cruel and unusual” punishment under the Eighth Amendment even when no shelter is available. In Justice Sonia Sotomayor’s dissent, she called laws against homeless individuals “unconscionable and unconstitutional,” saying “Sleep is a biological necessity, not a crime.” Writing for the majority, Justice Neil Gorsuch said homelessness is complex, but the Eighth Amendment “does not authorize federal judges to wrest those rights and responsibilities from the American people and in their place dictate this Nation’s homelessness policy.” (Washington Post / New York Times / ABC News / NPR / Axios / Associated Press / Politico / Bloomberg / Wall Street Journal)
Okay. People need to start turning up outside these Justice's houses every night. Playing LOUD music. Shining bright lights through their windows. If depriving someone of the ability to sleep isn't "cruel and unusual" then let's deprive them of that privilege & see how long it takes for it to be reclassified as a right.

Problem being a lot of these polls are just asking T v B.
Some other polls are showing Kennedy with 15-20% of support in some states. He's not going to win, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing a decisive role in eroding or diluting the anti-T vote. "anything better than either of these two isn't... I mean, I can't actually disagree with that.
All research has indicated that RFK draws more from Trump than Biden.

Yeah, that's why Trump praised Stein and West but said he didn't care for RFK, specifically cause he was drawing votes away from himself. Serious 4D chess player there.

I do wonder what they are eventually going to offer RFK to get him to drop out so he doesn't spoil the Right Wing vote. The party doesn't have much to offer right now.