Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

This could go poorly for them, since tossing those "invalid" votes would give more weight to the mail-in votes, which didn't exactly go their way...

--Patrick
Not if the supposedly unconstitutional changes to election rules were specifically about allowing people to vote by mail.

Hahahaha. So since they couldn't win the "We got so much voter fraud, so much!" They are now arguing that by loosening election restrictions (ala the crux of the Texas lawsuit) those states opened the gate to "undetectable fraud."

So what is it? Didn't you have tons of evidence? If so wouldn't that mean it was detected? God fucking damn these people.

GasBandit

Staff member
"What do you mean I can't fire Supreme Court Justices? I hired them!" - Trump
"No, Mr. President, you appointed them. For life."

My girlfriend has a cousin that is something of a right wing pundit. This week their entire family tested positive for covid. Last night her daughters posted photos of themselves unmasked at the White House Christmas Party.

Dave

Staff member
Yup. I fully expected this court not to go along with the Trump nonsense, but I also absolutely expected them to start whittling away at any freedoms for Other People as soon as possible. Glad to see at least some restraint for the moment.

I wonder if it's because they genuinely think they shouldn't overturn precent they may disagree with, or because they're afraid of Biden - too much movement towards the rigt in a swift jerk and the left would be clamoring to add 4/6/8/whatever Justices from the left.

Yup. I fully expected this court not to go along with the Trump nonsense, but I also absolutely expected them to start whittling away at any freedoms for Other People as soon as possible. Glad to see at least some restraint for the moment.
This might be a bullshit opinion, but I honestly feel people are at their worst when they are afraid of losing something. Power, money, status. Hell, I believe at least a quarter or more of the Republicans going along with Trump don't actually ideologically align with him. I bet most even hate his guts. They still fall in line because they are scared of what he can do to their continued power, money, and status in the GOP going forward.

The SCOTUS does not have to worry about that now. They don't have to put on any charades. As much as I feel some of them are going to make bad calls, there is no doubt in my mind that the "Conservative Hardliner" turns into more of a "Right Aligned Centrist" when they no longer have to "play the game."

I am not saying any of the new justices are actually that, but only that I could see it happen now that they are safety on the bench. We will have to go through way more court cases before I can feel confident in my opinion, but this and the former trans rights ruling lead by Gorsuch really makes me believe the Republicans didn't bring in the conservative wrecking balls they were hoping for.

And that, kids, is why the position is for life.

Unless you're actively blackmailing them, they don't have to give a shit because they have 99,99% job security.