Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

I just wanted to say, all this Merrick Garland shit has me absolutely furious. There are so many Republicans praising him as pick for AG, and it looks certain he will be voted in, but this is the same guy they stonewalled for months back when there was a seat open on the SCOTUS.
Why does this piss me off? Because it's yet more blatant proof that the issue wasn't ever Merrick Garland, they just didn't want Obama to have the feather in his cap that he got to pick a SC Justice. That's all it was to them. It's only ever been about blackballing Obama's legacy as much as possible.

Because it's yet more blatant proof that the issue wasn't ever Merrick Garland, they just didn't want Obama to have the feather in his cap that he got to pick a SC Justice.
Lindsay Graham said Merrick Garland by name as someone Obama could choose as a Supreme Court judge that they wouldn't object to.

I just wanted to say, all this Merrick Garland shit has me absolutely furious. There are so many Republicans praising him as pick for AG, and it looks certain he will be voted in, but this is the same guy they stonewalled for months back when there was a seat open on the SCOTUS.
Why does this piss me off? Because it's yet more blatant proof that the issue wasn't ever Merrick Garland, they just didn't want Obama to have the feather in his cap that he got to pick a SC Justice. That's all it was to them. It's only ever been about blackballing Obama's legacy as much as possible.
The GOP is increasingly becoming a fanatical group focused on a small number of topics (anti-abortion, 2nd amendment over all other civil rights, anti-trans, etc.). And they know the majority of the country is against them on most of those issues, so their only option is to jampack the court system with conservatives. It wasn't about sticking to Obama (at least, it wasn't just about sticking it to Obama). It was about doing everything they can to create a disproportionate judicial system that does not actually reflect American values so they can continue to control and distort.

Dave

Staff member
Remember the South Dakota AG who struck and killed a man with his car after attending a GOP party where he swears he wasn't drinking and driving? The one who basically got away with murder because he said he thought he hit a deer? Yeah. Is there ANY positive news coming out about members of the GOP? Ever? Are they all evil, corrupt assholes?

The GOP is increasingly becoming a fanatical group focused on a small number of topics (anti-abortion, 2nd amendment over all other civil rights, anti-trans, etc.). And they know the majority of the country is against them on most of those issues, so their only option is to jampack the court system with conservatives. It wasn't about sticking to Obama (at least, it wasn't just about sticking it to Obama). It was about doing everything they can to create a disproportionate judicial system that does not actually reflect American values so they can continue to control and distort.
But it's not like Merrick Garland is some hot progressive ramrod. The dude is center at best, and probably only inches rather then feet ideologically from Gorsuch, the person that actually ended up getting the chair. I agree with you that the Republicans ultimately wanted to choose who sat in the chair, but Merrick Garland, from what I know, was already a compromise, but that would mean Obama got to seat a judge, and god forbid that happens.

But it's not like Merrick Garland is some hot progressive ramrod. The dude is center at best, and probably only inches rather then feet ideologically from Gorsuch, the person that actually ended up getting the chair. I agree with you that the Republicans ultimately wanted to choose who sat in the chair, but Merrick Garland, from what I know, was already a compromise, but that would mean Obama got to seat a judge, and god forbid that happens.
Yeah, but center is too far left for most of them. The fact that Gorsuch is not a fucking neanderthal who thinks women and people of color shouldn't be allowed to vote is a shock. I think that they looked at Garland and thought they could get someone much, much more conservative if they just hung on. And you are right, some of it was sticking it to Obama.

Because racism.

Remember the South Dakota AG who struck and killed a man with his car after attending a GOP party where he swears he wasn't drinking and driving? The one who basically got away with murder because he said he thought he hit a deer? Yeah. Is there ANY positive news coming out about members of the GOP? Ever? Are they all evil, corrupt assholes?

Well obviously that can't be correct, he would have had to get out of his car and pull the man out of the windshield.

Or speed away and repeatedly slam on the brakes to dislodge the man.

What's that? The evidence at the scene shows thats what actually happened?

Bullshit, facts have a liberal bias!!!!

Step 1: Assume the worst about people who think or views things differently.

Step 2: Accuse these”others” of heinous crimes that you assume are happening, because Step 1.

Step 3: Believe that you are now in “total war” mode where you must win at all costs, because Step 2

Step 4: Do heinous things, which are justified in your mind because Step 3

Step 5: Get caught doing heinous things, and complain about double-standards, snowflakes, cancel-culture, etc., because Step 4.

Rinse and repeat.

(Meanwhile most of the “others” just sit back and think “WTF dude!”as you go through the steps)

The Global Methodist Church. Bigotry is literally our religion.

I haven't been to church in years. And this little shitshow from my little corner of His fan club isn't persuading me to change that.

This fight going on right now about minimum wage is pretty infuriating.

Some people, and I won't use names because I have seen both side of the aisle bitch about it, say that raising the minimum wage would destroy small businesses. I get it, I understand the worry that Ms. Crystal's Vape Shop might not have enough money to pay cashier Bill Piper $15 under the same demand model, but do none of these people understand why Wal-Mart and shit are so huge? It's because they are cheap. Who needs to buy cheap stuff? Someone making $7.25 an hour at their fucking job.

A higher minimum wage means more family purchasing power. More purchasing power means more commerce at stores they want to shop at rather then just the ones that are the cheapest. The more people shopping at the stores they want means more sold vape pipes at Ms. Crystal's Vape Shop because Bobby Burger working at Sonic can afford more then the janky ass pipe he bought in an alleyway off Joey Smokes for $2.

(Yes, I know nothing about vaping I just needed a stupid example of something.)

People seem to just imagine that the minimum wage will go up and everyone will just hoard their money like a dragon's treasure. It's so frustrating hearing this argument over and over again like it's all in a vacuum.

People seem to just imagine that the minimum wage will go up and everyone will just hoard their money like a dragon's treasure.
Yes, because this is exactly what the ones complaining the most about it already do.
And so of course they assume that is what everyone else would also do.

--Patrick

There is also the whole "I worked hard to get a raise to this amount, and now everyone makes this amount and it's not fair," crowd. They don't even consider that maybe they should take that up with their employer, and maybe start seeking a new job on the downlow if their employer doesn't value all that hard work.

I hate the arguments that want to keep people’s wages down because this person or that person was underpaid instead of raising everyone up to a better place.

If people are earning more, they will be spending more in those small businesses.

Who was the dope that recently bragging about making $6/hr at his first job in the 70's, carefully not mentioning that adjusted for inflation would be the equivalent of making $25/hr today? I think there's a number of people who are trying to hide the fact that this isn't so much a wage hike as much as a long-overdue inflation adjustment.

I forget where I read this, but another less talked about reason for keeping the minimum wage low is military recruitment. Keeping the national minimum well-below livable wages forces a lot of our lowest income citizens to join because they can't afford college or any kind of "adult life". Another disgusting way to prey on those who are most in need, rather than giving people more options.

Who was the dope that recently bragging about making $6/hr at his first job in the 70's, carefully not mentioning that adjusted for inflation would be the equivalent of making $25/hr today? I think there's a number of people who are trying to hide the fact that this isn't so much a wage hike as much as a long-overdue inflation adjustment.
That guy is the same type of bozo that complains how he worked his way through college and bought his own house back in the 60s. You know, when the average median cost of buying a house was like $11,000 and tuition at schools was like $1000 a year or less.

Yes, people also made less back then, but the median income was still nearly $5000 a year. That was more then enough to handle those costs.

Now? College costs have gone up over 3000% and housing prices have skyrocketed compared to our median income. It's not viable for everyone to buy a house now. We went through all this in 2008 when the whole market collapsed because banks realized lots of people were not going to be able to pay back those exuberate mortgage loans they were handing out. Our income has not kept up with our costs, and it's only getting worst.

I forget where I read this, but another less talked about reason for keeping the minimum wage low is military recruitment. Keeping the national minimum well-below livable wages forces a lot of our lowest income citizens to join because they can't afford college or any kind of "adult life". Another disgusting way to prey on those who are most in need, rather than giving people more options.
Senator John Thune SD-Jackass Party

$6 an hour being 3x minimum wage at the time, and only $2 less than the current minimum wage.

Ignoring the fact that the Dem party really needs to get it's shit together and never fucking will, Can someone please tell Sinema that schoolgirl chic is not the best look when voting no on something.

(But seriously, fuck the Dem party. We really need to steer this boat left)

Dave

Staff member
So this is a local Omaha politics thing. I follow the Omaha Police Scanner Twitter page and today there was a post about a guy killing himself with a gun. Subsequent tweets confirm that this is the husband of our mayor, Jean Stothert. I mean, she's a pretty terrible mayor who ignored covid like the rest of Nebraska government, but that doesn't mean I want her husband to die.