Generative Art

So, I got a wild hair to see if MidJourney knew what a Kerbal was, and it did! Kerbals playing baseball on the Mun.
I feel like the fact that one kerbal has the baseball bat tied to his head and is holding the glove totally wrong is just par for the course when it comes to Kerbals. :)

1688795507538.png

GasBandit

Staff member
This is my Conan Exiles character
1689205893982.png

And this is the result of me running his description through Onlyfakes - anime and photorealistic versions

1689205923938.png
1689206210534.png

Went out killing wasps and their nest on my front porch yesterday. A friend of mine thought my description of calling it "wasp hunting" was funny. So I made some AI art to commemorate

1690051963550.png

... I'm not really feeling that I'm creating anything, but discovering based on nobs and dials I twist and turn. My text input is only vaguely there sometimes. I've also discovered that adding a random number to the text input has a significant impact on the output that you can use to tweak the output images. It's very interesting, but more like dialing in to see a picture of a subject in a different universe (in an infinite number of possible universe, why not have this happen?) than it is creating anything of my own.

... I'm not really feeling that I'm creating anything, but discovering based on nobs and dials I twist and turn. My text input is only vaguely there sometimes. I've also discovered that adding a random number to the text input has a significant impact on the output that you can use to tweak the output images. It's very interesting, but more like dialing in to see a picture of a subject in a different universe (in an infinite number of possible universe, why not have this happen?) than it is creating anything of my own.
I definitely wouldn't call myself an AI "artist". But I do enjoy working hard to bring the vision in my head to life as imagery. The stuff I'm able to produce is liable to be unique to me, my vision, and my keywords, so I feel like I'm creating 'something'...but I don't know that it has the same cachet as someone who paints, sculpts, or otherwise has had to spend great amounts of time, effort and talent to hone their craft.

On the other hand, I feel like I probably work a lot harder than some 'artists' who just randomly splash paint on a canvas and call it art.

I definitely wouldn't call myself an AI "artist". But I do enjoy working hard to bring the vision in my head to life as imagery. The stuff I'm able to produce is liable to be unique to me, my vision, and my keywords, so I feel like I'm creating 'something'...but I don't know that it has the same cachet as someone who paints, sculpts, or otherwise has had to spend great amounts of time, effort and talent to hone their craft.

On the other hand, I feel like I probably work a lot harder than some 'artists' who just randomly splash paint on a canvas and call it art.
Nothing here to disagree with.
I have been spending hours and hours just tweaking dials and nobs and changing input here and there, and have been enjoying the hell out of it.

But I don't think I'm creating anything. Like I said, I think I'm just giving a general idea of what I want to see, and the computer is finding some version of reality that "might" be similiar.
Some of my best outputs, "creations", or discoveries, whatever you call them, are so far off the mark from my input text but so genuinely good that my draw drops and I'm in shock.

but am I creating, or just finding.... I feel like just finding. When I get to it I'll show some examples and reasons.

I have been spending hours and hours just tweaking dials and nobs and changing input here and there, and have been enjoying the hell out of it.
[...]
Some of my best outputs, "creations", or discoveries, whatever you call them, are so far off the mark from my input text but so genuinely good that my draw drops and I'm in shock.
I have had a similar experience when tweaking the controls on an analog synthesizer. "I have no idea what I'm doing, but when I turn this knob like that...oh yeah, that's some money, right there."

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
The prompt was "Adepta Sororitas."
I did not prompt for "redhead."
I have never seen art, not even fan art, that depicted any Sister of Battle as red-haired.
I think Onlyfakes just knows what I like and gives it to me.

1691109054641.png

Inspired by an AI art FB group I'm on--using AI art to bring your nightmares to life. This one took some zooming out, panning and region-variation in midjourney to get...

When I was like 5 or 6, I had a dream I was playing on the roof of my house. I saw a nickel on the roof, and when I saw it, the face on the nickel saw me. It flipped up on its side, rolled toward me, and grew as it did so until it was as large as I was. When it got next to me it started laughing cruelly at me, and made me cry.

Kids are weird.

1695159879353.png

I'm kind of bummed that Bing image creator is doing a better job with some prompts than Midjourney. " japanese girl child dressed in the style of feudal japan with an octopus on her head"

Bing vs MJ
1696107296468.jpeg
1696107328373.jpeg

No matter what I tried with MJ, I couldn't get an octopus with a face/head. Bing provided me several examples with an actual octopus as well as a stuffed toy (shown)

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm kind of bummed that Bing image creator is doing a better job with some prompts than Midjourney. " japanese girl child dressed in the style of feudal japan with an octopus on her head"

Bing vs MJ
View attachment 46155 View attachment 46156
No matter what I tried with MJ, I couldn't get an octopus with a face/head. Bing provided me several examples with an actual octopus as well as a stuffed toy (shown)
And bing also got the fingers right!