[Thread Game] Have you splurged on yourself lately?

Our son is currently sleeping on the mattress and box spring I used when I was his age.
They built 'em tough back then, I tellya.

--Patrick
Go to the store, and lift a mattress of the same size. Come back and lift yours and be awestruck at how it's twice as heavy. Marvel in the fact that most of this weight is due to skin flakes and dead dust mites.

;)

fade

Staff member
I want all the skin and sweat and dander from my wife, my cats, and me to meld together into some unholy abomination that looks like all four of us combined. It will rise up from my mattress and strike me down in vengeance for it knows it is unnatural. As I lay dying, I'll smile and and raise my weakening hand at its passage and say, "Go forth and render my judgement on the world, mattress beast. Ughhh."

That last part was me dying.

Necronic

Staff member
Go to the store, and lift a mattress of the same size. Come back and lift yours and be awestruck at how it's twice as heavy. Marvel in the fact that most of this weight is due to skin flakes and dead dust mites.

;)
And salt. Lots of salt.

Anywho. Just bought myself a very nice electric razor and got a haircut. Time to start being a Dapper Dan.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't know if this means I can never get rid of my mattress or if I must get a new mattress immediately.. :/

meh..it's an urban legend anyway
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/mattress.asp

yeah, there's dead mites and stuff...but probably not half the weight.

http://www.livescience.com/33097-does-your-mattress-really-gain-weight-over-time-.html

According to materials published by Ohio State University, a typical used mattress may have 100,000 to 10 million mites inside. Ten percent of the weight of a two-year-old pillow can be composed of dead mites and their droppings. Mites prefer warm, moist surroundings such as the inside of a mattress when someone is on it. One of their favorite foods is dead skin, and people shed about one fifth of an ounce of the stuff every week, some of which surely ends up flaking into your mattress. (Also gross: About 80 percent of the material seen floating in a sunbeam is, in fact, flakes of dead skin.)