[PC Game] Minecraft HF server info and game discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jiarn

There are maps much larger than this one, the Penny Arcade map for example, and they still make Cartographers. Is there something going on there?

I believe Windows 32-bit OSes don't like to give more than 2GB to any single process (that's how XP likes to operate, at least).

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
The most XP can handle at any time is something like 3.14-3.2 gigs I think.
Not exactly. My understanding, and I can dig up articles on the matter, is that 32-bit versions of Windows allow for for 4GB of RAM, but that this includes the RAM in graphics cards, in hard drive caches, and other places. This means the actual amount of usable main system RAM varies depending on other components in the system. From <2GB to nearly 4GB.

That's different than the amount of RAM that is available to any given program. Each process on a 32-bit Windows OS gets up to 2GB of RAM and 2GB of page file (this can be hacked to allow 3GB of RAM and 1GB of page file, or other variations adding up to 4GB). I think it was Anandtech that did an article on Supreme Commander crashing in long games after hitting the 2GB limit on 32-bit systems, and how to get around that by the previously mentioned hack. Off the top of my head, I can't remember if the 2GB limit still hits on a 64-bit OS running a 32-bit executable, but I don't think it does.

T

TwoBit

Could someone give me a higher access level? Things might be a bit buggy right now, but I'd still like to built something.

N

noaxark

Saw Gas's post at work yesterday, and I too recalled something about limited ram per process on a 32bit system. So I set up the render on my work laptop, which is 64bit, before leaving. And it worked; behold the morning harvest: Cartograph per 2011-02-10.

I wonder what this means for my server (Ragnar Sr.), which is the machine I normally use for rendering. It's 32bit, but it can still access all 4 gigs of its ram, as it's running Windows Server 2k3. Reading the links, I guess success depends on whether Cartographer is "large address aware", and whether the /3GB switch is enabled on the system.

I'll test it next time I update. If it fails, I could always use my desktop, which lacks neither ram nor bits :)

Can you give me a link please to the EXACT cartograph software you guys are using? If it's trivial to update it for new block types (and if it's open-source) I'll take a look at doing that, as I do programming for a living, and so hopefully they made it easy to update in that way, and I have all the dev tools on my home box. If it's spaghetti code however, that's not gonna happen.

it's just our world loses some impact due to missing blocks.

N

noaxark

Can you give me a link please to the EXACT cartograph software you guys are using? If it's trivial to update it for new block types (and if it's open-source) I'll take a look at doing that, as I do programming for a living, and so hopefully they made it easy to update in that way, and I have all the dev tools on my home box. If it's spaghetti code however, that's not gonna happen.

it's just our world loses some impact due to missing blocks.
For the fixed-size renders, we use Cartograph. That's why we call 'em cartographs :)

For the gmap, I use Minecraft-Overviewer. Note that the latest "stable" release has buggy multi-core rendering, though, and I must use the nightly builds to get it to work on any of my dual core systems.

Both applications are rather slow on the uptake of new blocks, it seems.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, eriol found it already, so I should spill the beans -

I've built a rail line to a distant hub, and have started putting pre-sized lots around it, in the hopes that folks might contribute. The motif is basically a beach/tourist resort type deal. If anybody is curious to see it, the rail terminal is on the top floor of the central transit building. There's about 4 plots left with waterfront/beach, but I'll be adding more in the next few days as the area gets "groomed."

It's sort of experimental - wanted to see what'd be like to simulate a town environment in close quarters with defined property boundaries.
Added at: 09:07
Cartograph G suffers the same runtime error that regular cartograph does - that was the first fix I tried. Interestingly enough, I found I can still do "oblique angled" cartographs, the problem only seems to manifest in the "Isometric" setting. I'll get a fresh backup later and see if I can do something with it.

Cartograph G renders colored wool correctly... but it renders iron, diamond and gold blocks as purple error blocks.

I'm far more interested in commandeering that lagoon NW of the plots, but I don't think that's quite what you had in mind.

R

Raidrinn

Haha, I found that 3 days ago. I started asking about it but guess you weren't on at the time.

Sign: Plot 1 unclaimed
Me: WTF?

Also FYI, the new Cartograph is loading ridiculously slowly. I've been loading for 5 minutes and it's still just a sliver.

Bones, tells me he started at 8:55 and it's now 9:18 and it's still not done.

N

noaxark

Cartograph G suffers the same runtime error that regular cartograph does - that was the first fix I tried. Interestingly enough, I found I can still do "oblique angled" cartographs, the problem only seems to manifest in the "Isometric" setting. I'll get a fresh backup later and see if I can do something with it.

Cartograph G renders colored wool correctly... but it renders iron, diamond and gold blocks as purple error blocks.
So are you running a 32-bit machine or what? Feels kind of essential to the discussion here ;)

Could someone give me a higher access level? Things might be a bit buggy right now, but I'd still like to built something.
You're in :)

Edit: assuming you go by TwoBit in Minecraft as well, that is.

Ad was on yesterday complaining about blocks re-spawning. I didn't even think of the idea that his name might have been white. So you may want to look into him too.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yes, I am on a 32 bit machine.. maybe that does have something to do with it.
Added at: 10:02
And maybe that is adammon's problem... when we updated the server I had to rebuild the users file, and maybe I misspelled his name... that's what happened to dirona (nee "diriona" in the user list).
Added at: 10:04
Is Adammon spelled like... that?
Added at: 10:09
The hosted Cartograph is also not loading for me.

N

noaxark

Ad was on yesterday complaining about blocks re-spawning. I didn't even think of the idea that his name might have been white. So you may want to look into him too.
The user settings did have a messed up entry at the end (see the post above mine), and I'm not sure what problems -- if any -- that might've caused. Can't see any reason why Ad would be more affected than anyone else, though. Probably just lag and/or some other form of Minecraft instability . In any case, the entry is fixed now.

Also FYI, the new Cartograph is loading ridiculously slowly. I've been loading for 5 minutes and it's still just a sliver.
Bones, tells me he started at 8:55 and it's now 9:18 and it's still not done.
Likely a temporary hosting error. The maps are merely (cough) around 15MB large since I started saving them as 8-bit PNGs and shouldn't take too long to download under normal conditions. We don't have a lot of other options here, either. JPG versions look like ass compressed to that size. GIF might reduce decoding complexity, but at the cost of a 20% increase in file size, definitely not saving anyone any time.

If your browser is having trouble displaying or loading the file, I recommend right click -> "Save target as...".

As for the hosting solution, well, picturepush works great for me, and allows for a library of very large files under one account for free. Open to other suggestions, though.

Edit: Mirrored with Google. Gives you links for both downloading and viewing as an added benefit. Might just put all future cartographs there.

Yes, I am on a 32 bit machine.. maybe that does have something to do with it.
Added at: 10:02
And maybe that is adammon's problem... when we updated the server I had to rebuild the users file, and maybe I misspelled his name... that's what happened to dirona (nee "diriona" in the user list).
Added at: 10:04
Is Adammon spelled like... that?
Added at: 10:09
That'sa me!

Well, your name is spelled correctly and you should have the proper permissions... are you still unable to build/dig?
I think it was a lag issue more than anything - then I was getting hammered with stream errors and being disconnected. It did some weird though that I could dig and dig and dig and then end up with a nice block in my face.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, that sounds more like lag. If it were a permissions issue, the blocks would reappear before you could dig out the next one.

Has anybody got any suggestions for what to name the new resort area?
How about Iapyx? Minor Roman god representing the NW wind.

By the way, really enjoying the new area. Having everyone building nearby makes it easy to check out other people's projects.

Also, my new favorite Minecraft thing; tree pool!

GasBandit

Staff member
Just a cautionary reminder folks... CLOTH IS FLAMMABLE. IT WILL NOT CONTAIN LAVA. Additionally, THE STREETS ARE MADE OF BLACK CLOTH. So if you make something in your lot connect to the street (IE, a driveway), make the last 3 meters of it some non-flammable substance such as obsidian. So if you accidentally set fire to your beach house, the fire does not spread to the street and burn down the ENTIRE TOWN.

figmentPez

Staff member
I spent a lot of time hunting squid last night. They're hard to find, and harder to kill when they're down at the bottom of the ocean. I had to go pretty far and wide to find them, but I found a fair sized school when I did. I can't figure out why I haven't seen them closer to home. The first time I logged into the server after they were added, I found them swimming in the irrigation ditches on my farm, in the mountain lake above my home, and in the lake at the bottom of my waterfall. I haven't seen them in any of those locations since.

GasBandit

Staff member
I rebooted the server today - all players can now specify /cloth (amount) (color)

IE - /cloth 64 light blue
/cloth 12 white
/cloth 128 black

etc
Added at: 12:36
Also a helpful note from our hosts at multiplay:

Minecraft - Monsters = Lag
Feb 14 2011 22:35:49 by Killing
Some of our customers who have been suffering from lag on their servers have identified one definite lag cause which we want to share with everyone.
The cause for them was Monsters. With it enabled their servers where suffering from "Insane Lag" but as soon as they disabled monsters "it went away entirely" so if your server is experiencing lag and you have monsters enabled we would STRONGLY recommend you disable them.

Other things which are know to cause lag are hellworld=true (set it to false) and in extreme cases animals, usually only triggered by manually spawning lots but you can set spawn-animals=false if your concerned.
So turning monsters on still causes bad lag, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.