[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I had to remove it a day early because it was driving me wild.

I accidentally put it on too high and it was on the bottom of my neck and it pulled and was rough. I didn’t want to remove it any earlier because the last time I needed some a few days early, they treated me like a criminal. I found it later. I must have brought it upstairs for after a shower, forgotten about it and gotten another.

Something I bought from Amazon, that shipped from an Amazon warehouse in Michigan, is being held for a customs check at the little UPS distribution center that my packages get delivered out of. :confused:

Probably shipped it through Canada.
They do that a lot with stuff destined for New England.

--Patrick
Nah, went to Minneapolis, and then to Bemidji. Unless they went from Minneapolis, drove by Bemidji in to Canada, then turned around and went back to Bemidji. I’m fully expecting to get it delivered in a bag that says “Ooops! Hope it still works.”

I had to get out of my car today, while parked in an accessible spot, to tell a guy to move as he was double parked and blocking me.

What the !?&@$

Dave

Staff member
We have a really cool pizza maker. You take your frozen pizza, set the timer for 16 minutes and you get a perfect pizza done the same way every time. There's a setting to set the heat for the top if you want to cook the cheese a little more but not burn the bottom or you can move the slider to the bottom to crisp up your crust.

Making my pizza for lunch yesterday I didn't notice that my wife had used it last. She likes to crisp her crust a little so she sets it on the bottom...and doesn't change it back. So yeah. Burned bottom and raw toppings. Yum yum.

"Press GO to continue."
Press GO.
"GO CAN NOT BE PRESSED AT THIS TIME."
1 potato, 2 potato...Press GO
"Proceeding as requested."

Before the pandemic I was going to teach part time, and then the principal informed me in August that she needed me to work 100% due to numbers and logistics. Her solution was for me to take a 100% online teaching position in my district this year because I would have the flexibility to take care of my daughter during the day and catch up at work during the night. Sounds great, I thought. And for most of the year that has been how it's worked. I have office hours as needed a few days a week, two classes with set times and days that I had to be on camera, and other than that I would be able to work at my own pace. It's not been perfect, but it's been good enough.

Enter our 7th grade counselor. Recently she has decided that every student struggling should get a 1-on-1 weekly meeting with their teacher. For an hour.

Think that doesn't sound so bad? I've got 180 students this year. If 20% of them are struggling (a realistic number given the difficulties of distance learning) that means that I will have an additional 36 hours per week of student meetings. This would be on top of the classes I already teach, the mandatory 3-4 hours of staff meetings/development, and the time I need to lesson plan/grade/prepare. Want to be optimistic and only assume 10% students need help? That's still adding 18 hours per week.

The point of me taking this position was that I could help my daughter get to and from school, make sure she eats a healthy lunch, and be available during the day so I could help her with schoolwork. It was explicit. It was a clearly communicated arrangement.

I just had to tell her this isn't going to work and she should have actually talked to us before she decided to do this. She backed off, but I hate that she initially tried to frame what she's doing as the only option for success for these kids - meaning that I'm a fucking monster if I don't go along with it. But guess what? If you make me pick between my kid and my work (especially since I don't think it's actually necessary for all these kids to get 1-on-1 meetings every week), my kid is going to win everytime. I'm not going to feel the least bit bad about it.

I am, however, going to be fucking pissed.

Before the pandemic I was going to teach part time, and then the principal informed me in August that she needed me to work 100% due to numbers and logistics. Her solution was for me to take a 100% online teaching position in my district this year because I would have the flexibility to take care of my daughter during the day and catch up at work during the night. Sounds great, I thought. And for most of the year that has been how it's worked. I have office hours as needed a few days a week, two classes with set times and days that I had to be on camera, and other than that I would be able to work at my own pace. It's not been perfect, but it's been good enough.

Enter our 7th grade counselor. Recently she has decided that every student struggling should get a 1-on-1 weekly meeting with their teacher. For an hour.

Think that doesn't sound so bad? I've got 180 students this year. If 20% of them are struggling (a realistic number given the difficulties of distance learning) that means that I will have an additional 36 hours per week of student meetings. This would be on top of the classes I already teach, the mandatory 3-4 hours of staff meetings/development, and the time I need to lesson plan/grade/prepare. Want to be optimistic and only assume 10% students need help? That's still adding 18 hours per week.

The point of me taking this position was that I could help my daughter get to and from school, make sure she eats a healthy lunch, and be available during the day so I could help her with schoolwork. It was explicit. It was a clearly communicated arrangement.

I just had to tell her this isn't going to work and she should have actually talked to us before she decided to do this. She backed off, but I hate that she initially tried to frame what she's doing as the only option for success for these kids - meaning that I'm a fucking monster if I don't go along with it. But guess what? If you make me pick between my kid and my work (especially since I don't think it's actually necessary for all these kids to get 1-on-1 meetings every week), my kid is going to win everytime. I'm not going to feel the least bit bad about it.

I am, however, going to be fucking pissed.
That’s a typical school counselor, thinking that everyone has all the free time that they do.

That’s a typical school counselor, thinking that everyone has all the free time that they do.
The colleagues I dislike the most are always the ones who have nothing else in their life, and are consumed by their career. The problem is that they always assume everyone else wants to work for 12 hours per day, six days a week. And they tend to look down on anyone who doesn't commit to the same level they do.

Ugh. Why is getting a job so much work! I've done two different background checks for the same job, and a drug screen. I hope I'm done with background checks. Geeze. So. I had to have a background check and drug screen to get into the nursing program, a background check to register for my nursing license, and now two background checks and a drug screen for a job. Come on people.

I work for a big, big company. When we have an "all hands" meeting, I expect the speakers to be ready for it. We're a year into quarantine, which means you should have invested in proper work-from-home tools. I guess what I'm saying is that making me try to understand what you're saying through your cute little airpods is annoying as all hell. I'm a programmer who avoids meetings as much as possible, but I have a nice pair of Bose headphones with a good mic, and a backup gamer headset with a good mic is that doesn't connect for whatever reason. Step up, people.

I work for a big, big company. When we have an "all hands" meeting, I expect the speakers to be ready for it. We're a year into quarantine, which means you should have invested in proper work-from-home tools. I guess what I'm saying is that making me try to understand what you're saying through your cute little airpods is annoying as all hell. I'm a programmer who avoids meetings as much as possible, but I have a nice pair of Bose headphones with a good mic, and a backup gamer headset with a good mic is that doesn't connect for whatever reason. Step up, people.
Amen. We even got a budget that we could have used for that stuff. I chose to get an adjustable desk instead, but the option to get a headset was there. I don’t want to hear a kid/dog etc howling and echoing.

I need new winter boots. I also wear size 14s so my selection is basically down to 3 shitty pairs from Marks or spending 600 dollars at Red Wings.

Blech.

After hours offsite 'support' that consists of just someone telling you to call back during regular business hours is worse than no support at all.

You're a vendor for an industry that operates 24/7. Leaving the front desk hanging all night is how I tell the GM and owner to find another vendor when your gear finally up and dies.

So my brother-in-law's family got a new (male) dog about 5 yrs ago.
Last year In 2019, their other dog died. So they got a new 1yr-old (female) dog to replace her sometime in the middle of last year.
Neither dog was fixed. They were gonna get the new dog fixed when she turned a year old, buuut things got busy and then the other dog got busy and well you can kinda see where this is going, right?
So they took their now gravid dog in for a check-up aaaaand yep the ultrasound confirms that she's pregnant...

...with thirteen puppies.
THIR
TEEN

I don't think anybody over there is ready for this.

--Patrick

Last year In 2019, their other dog died. So they got a new 1yr-old (female) dog to replace her sometime in the middle of last year.
Neither dog was fixed. They were gonna get the new dog fixed when she turned a year old, buuut things got busy and then the other dog got busy and well you can kinda see where this is going, right?
So they took their now gravid dog in for a check-up aaaaand yep the ultrasound confirms that she's pregnant...

THIR
TEEN

--Patrick
what kind of dogs?

THIR
TEEN

--Patrick
Dalmations?

So, I have a line on a job back in Texas. I've convinced my wife that now's a good time to sell the house, because of inflated house prices, and that interest rates are just starting to creep back up--so people are chomping to get into a house before it does.

We contacted a realtor last week. Getting all the stuff together to get someone out to take photos. Go to the store this afternoon. Get back 2 hours later. Guess who has a for sale sign in their yard? My neighbor. Jesus christ.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, I have a line on a job back in Texas. I've convinced my wife that now's a good time to sell the house, because of inflated house prices, and that interest rates are just starting to creep back up--so people are chomping to get into a house before it does.

We contacted a realtor last week. Getting all the stuff together to get someone out to take photos. Go to the store this afternoon. Get back 2 hours later. Guess who has a for sale sign in their yard? My neighbor. Jesus christ.
The housing market around here is in chaos. For sale signs everywhere, but prices keep going up. When I bought this house in 2019, it was 50% more expensive than it was just a couple years previous.

Well, anyway, drop me a line once you're back in the Lone Star State, we'll have to go have a post-covid drink.

The housing market around here is in chaos. For sale signs everywhere, but prices keep going up. When I bought this house in 2019, it was 50% more expensive than it was just a couple years previous.

Well, anyway, drop me a line once you're back in the Lone Star State, we'll have to go have a post-covid drink.
If realtor.com is any indication, the Dallas area looks perfect for me right now...I can get a house similarly sized to my current home, and get it paid off in 15 years at about 400-500/month once I dump the equity from this house into it. And if home prices are rising, that's even better if I can get in now. :D

I asked for sex and it was met with a "meh" and a shrug and I didn't know how to really respond to that, so after a few more minutes of just cuddling I casually pulled away to reach for my phone but stayed away really because I just didn't want to keep touching her anymore. I kinda... think I'm done. Usually I'm given a minimal "I don't feel like it right now" but this just felt so dismissive. At best incredibly tone deaf, given how frequently I've talked to her about feeling like I need more intimacy. I keep rereading the "Wishing for Divorce Often" thread in the health & advice subforum and identifying with that as being my future life if I stay and go through with marrying this girl. It's clear that she and I don't have compatible physical needs and probably never will. I wish I had ended things in California last year and gone to Kansas starting a completely fresh life by myself instead of bringing her with me. It's like I'm wasting my most energetic years on someone who leaves me feeling like she's not even attracted to me 90% of the time.

Evidently the neighbor selling isn't as big of a deal as I thought it might be, according to my realtor.
She thinks his house will be under contract within the week. And once it is, we can move on my house. The folks who didn't get the neighbor's house should (in theory) be very interested in my house, and more likely to close quickly (and hopefully with a higher sale price) since the house they were interested in just got bought out from under them.

I asked for sex and it was met with a "meh" and a shrug and I didn't know how to really respond to that, so after a few more minutes of just cuddling I casually pulled away to reach for my phone but stayed away really because I just didn't want to keep touching her anymore. I kinda... think I'm done. Usually I'm given a minimal "I don't feel like it right now" but this just felt so dismissive. At best incredibly tone deaf, given how frequently I've talked to her about feeling like I need more intimacy. I keep rereading the "Wishing for Divorce Often" thread in the health & advice subforum and identifying with that as being my future life if I stay and go through with marrying this girl. It's clear that she and I don't have compatible physical needs and probably never will. I wish I had ended things in California last year and gone to Kansas starting a completely fresh life by myself instead of bringing her with me. It's like I'm wasting my most energetic years on someone who leaves me feeling like she's not even attracted to me 90% of the time.
sorry to hear it dude.

on a similar topic, the girl I mentioned in epic win in October, well I cut those losses not long before the new year as it rapidly started to go after the rails and I figured best to run while I had the chance. well some nights i still feel lonely, after the fiasco she turned into I am more than happy to be alone again.

AND-someone knicked my bicycle flashlight...which...they slid OFF the strappy thing...which I did NOT know I could do before, meaning I had a fucking easily removable flashlight the ENTIRE fucking time that I don't fucking HAVE because some dickface in Philly STOLE MY DAMN BIKE LIGHT! AGAIN! WHY IS IT ALWAYS THE FLASHLIGHT?!