[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Is anyone else tired of these freaking ASMR style videos?

I just want to watch you cook some goddamn noodles without you cranking up the mic inputs and slowly pouring water 5 freaking minutes for the "asmr experience". Jesus christ.
That's like any of those "helpful" guide videos on YouTube.

"Wazzup, it's y'boi Razorwire63 coming at you live. Don't forget to like, comment, subscribe to my channel and NOW HERE'S SOME REALLY BLARINGLY LOUD MUSIC INTRO AND A SHITTY SPECIAL EFFECTS MONTAGE and I'm gonna rant about how this is gonna help you and it's going to take at least three minutes of this shit until you get to any actual helpful tips, which will also include a ton of rambling, unhelpful nonsense. Oh, and I'm just gonna speed through some of the steps that you'll need to jump back multiple times just to get it."

That's like any of those "helpful" guide videos on YouTube.

"Wazzup, it's y'boi Razorwire63 coming at you live. Don't forget to like, comment, subscribe to my channel and NOW HERE'S SOME REALLY BLARINGLY LOUD MUSIC INTRO AND A SHITTY SPECIAL EFFECTS MONTAGE and I'm gonna rant about how this is gonna help you and it's going to take at least three minutes of this shit until you get to any actual helpful tips, which will also include a ton of rambling, unhelpful nonsense. Oh, and I'm just gonna speed through some of the steps that you'll need to jump back multiple times just to get it."
"But first let's talk about today's sponsor RAID SHADOW LEGENDS"

GasBandit

Staff member
My department (which consists of 3 people) found out today that the project management department scheduled us to commission 9 projects on the same day, many hundreds of miles apart from each other, and apparently it did not occur to them that this was a problem.

I'd like to have said this was because they were not communicating enough with each other about client-set dates, but 5 of the projects are all run by the same project manager.

Sometimes I can't tell if the neighbor kids are playing or getting horribly murdered. Today I know they are playing because if they were being horribly murdered the screaming would eventually stop.

What's wrong with people?

So, I'm selling some whistles I never play, so I don't have to move them. I struck a deal, and am waiting on payment for one of them. Someone else wrote to me and, upon finding that the sale is pending, they offered me $30 more dollars to sell to them instead. From her facebook picture, she looks like she's in her mid 60's. Too old for me to have to give a lesson in ethics to. My response.

1619548454760.png

She'll rescind the extra $30 if she knows the sale fell through. You should've ignored it until after the sale either did or didn't happen.

She'll rescind the extra $30 if she knows the sale fell through. You should've ignored it until after the sale either did or didn't happen.
So, I put another 2 whistles up, and they jumped on them immediately. They offered to pay full retail price (red flag number 1). If you're willing to pay retail, you'd buy new from the guy who makes them. Whistlers are notorious hagglers when it comes to the secondhand market.

Then they asked my paypal email and my full name (red flag #2). Paypal doesn't need your name. So I gave a different last name. And lo and behold, I got a phishing email that said "Greg McMahon, you have received an instant payment!

So I flagged them at facebook, and the account was deleted.

60mph wind gusts knocked out power to our entire tiny town at 4:30p yesterday. Just came back on--long enough that I have to throw away everything in the fridge.

Luckily, I've been paring down the fridge anyway in prep for the move.

What the source text said: The dosage of this medication should not exceed 10mg a day.

What the translator wrote: The dosage of this medication should not be less than 10mg a day.

How the review (me) reacted: Holy fuck dude, you're going to literally get people killed.

Just as I was whining about being in a funk, I spent last night and all of today with stomach pain and nausea. I have not vomited like that in so long. At least it’s finally starting to get better.

I got a stomach bug somehow, and even though it’s not THAT bad it feels terrible. I think it’s because I haven’t actually been sick in ages.

Hire an electrician to do a few things in the house, one of which is install lights on the stairs in the basement because it's dark.
Electrician asks if we're supplying the lights, and we say sure. He tells us specifically to get low voltage lights.
Today, they send another guy (it happens - we've never had an issue with it). He doesn't have what he needs to install low voltage lights. The he installs them, but at seemingly random heights? I told him to stop, wire them for full voltage and then just tie them off because I'm going to have to patch the wall and put something else in.

I know it's my own fault partially for not being very, very specific about where I wanted them, but it seems like logically if you're installing stair lights on a wall, you would naturally make them the same height from the stairs. Now this is just another project I have to deal with on the never-ending list of things to finish on this house.

I feel you on that never ending list.
The sad thing is, if I win a few thousand or so dollars, I'd have more pressing/useful things to do with it than spend it on letting a professional do things I could technically do myself. And if I win big, obviously I wouldn't bother fixing this place up - or completely redesign it, at least. It's the sort of jobs that you have to do yourself or they don't get done (properly).

GasBandit

Staff member
Got a big project going on at A&M that they cheaped out on and decided to use TVs they had lying around instead of buying new ones to put in this new athletic annex (and you KNOW the university's athletics department HAS the money). I'm supposed to be doing the commissioning this week, but I have arrived on site to find:

1) The control processor's been given a network drop that is dark, no link at all
2) The first TV's network cable has mysteriously gone missing
3) The second TV is on the wrong VLAN (virtual network)
4) The Third TV's remote control is missing so I can't configure it to integrate it into the AV system
5) The 4th TV does not respond to its remote, and suspiciously looks like it might have been dropped (which is very bad for a 85" TV)
6) The 5th and 6th TVs are also of a completely different brand and nobody is even around who can tell me where their remotes are, if they even have them.

What a shit show.

Got a big project going on at A&M that they cheaped out on and decided to use TVs they had lying around instead of buying new ones to put in this new athletic annex (and you KNOW the university's athletics department HAS the money). I'm supposed to be doing the commissioning this week, but I have arrived on site to find:

1) The control processor's been given a network drop that is dark, no link at all
2) The first TV's network cable has mysteriously gone missing
3) The second TV is on the wrong VLAN (virtual network)
4) The Third TV's remote control is missing so I can't configure it to integrate it into the AV system
5) The 4th TV does not respond to its remote, and suspiciously looks like it might have been dropped (which is very bad for a 85" TV)
6) The 5th and 6th TVs are also of a completely different brand and nobody is even around who can tell me where their remotes are, if they even have them.

What a shit show.
"Dear customer, after evaluating and inventorising the hardware supplied, I storngly advise you to let us buy new ones. Working with the materials provided will mean at least X hours of extra work and Y additional materials, resulting in a higher total cost than buying new. On top of that, it will help create uniformity and increase the prestige of the finished project".

And if they insist or it can't be helped because of paperwork - well, that's what budget overruns are for.

GasBandit

Staff member
"Dear customer, after evaluating and inventorising the hardware supplied, I storngly advise you to let us buy new ones. Working with the materials provided will mean at least X hours of extra work and Y additional materials, resulting in a higher total cost than buying new. On top of that, it will help create uniformity and increase the prestige of the finished project".

And if they insist or it can't be helped because of paperwork - well, that's what budget overruns are for.
You don't think we tried that, and more? Nope, someone high up and insulated wants to save a few (thousand) bucks by reusing old attic stock.

Anyway, I got 1 and 2 on the network.. but they can't be controlled.
3's missing remote is irrelevant since it doesn't even have a serial port, much less a network jack. It's not a smart TV even. So... that's that for that TV.
4 won't even turn on from the button on the TV itself. I know this TV worked a couple months ago, wonder what somebody did to kill it....
5 and 6, I've got set to the settings they're supposed to have to get them to work.... and nothing happens.

Uuuuughh it's just that kind of day.

Hire an electrician to do a few things in the house, one of which is install lights on the stairs in the basement because it's dark.
Electrician asks if we're supplying the lights, and we say sure. He tells us specifically to get low voltage lights.
Today, they send another guy (it happens - we've never had an issue with it). He doesn't have what he needs to install low voltage lights. The he installs them, but at seemingly random heights? I told him to stop, wire them for full voltage and then just tie them off because I'm going to have to patch the wall and put something else in.

I know it's my own fault partially for not being very, very specific about where I wanted them, but it seems like logically if you're installing stair lights on a wall, you would naturally make them the same height from the stairs. Now this is just another project I have to deal with on the never-ending list of things to finish on this house.
FOLLOW UP: Just messaged the company who gave us an estimate on rebuilding the deck a year ago. Price is now $5000 higher with no explanations. Fuck contractors entirely.

Edit: I'm sure that's not fair. I'm just tired of feeling like every contractor wants to charge 50% more because I live in a bigger house for the same product.

Last edited:
Yeah, expect lumber prices to be almost double what they were a year ago. Might be worth looking at composite decking if you’re not going to wait. It’ll probably be close to the same price now, and will last a lot longer.

I also found out that the places that produce specialty colors for things like vinyl siding do so in uninsulated warehouses in Texas. When the freeze happened down there they lost all their stock, and got set back. So my porch has been without siding a lot longer than I had wanted.

You don't think we tried that, and more? Nope, someone high up and insulated wants to save a few (thousand) bucks by reusing old attic stock.

Anyway, I got 1 and 2 on the network.. but they can't be controlled.
3's missing remote is irrelevant since it doesn't even have a serial port, much less a network jack. It's not a smart TV even. So... that's that for that TV.
4 won't even turn on from the button on the TV itself. I know this TV worked a couple months ago, wonder what somebody did to kill it....
5 and 6, I've got set to the settings they're supposed to have to get them to work.... and nothing happens.

Uuuuughh it's just that kind of day.
Stupid Something Aggies.

So, the governor of Virginia declared a state of emergency today due to the pipeline cyberattack. He said that we had plenty of fuel reserves, but he was declaring it for preparatory reasons. So, of course, within an hour, every gas station in town had a line of a dozen cars out on the road (and full parking lots) of people trying to get gas.

Drove up to Sheets to get me a Dr. Pepper tonight--thought I'd hit all 5 gas stations on the way there and see how things stood. All of them, out of gas. Freaking idiots.

1620788389333.png

So, the governor of Virginia declared a state of emergency today due to the pipeline cyberattack. He said that we had plenty of fuel reserves, but he was declaring it for preparatory reasons. So, of course, within an hour, every gas station in town had a line of a dozen cars out on the road (and full parking lots) of people trying to get gas.
BP is the new TP:

toteswrong.jpg

gasbags.jpg

sgalpers.jpg

--Patrick