[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Dave

Staff member
Could have been a lot worse, I suppose. My last day at Bellevue will be August 31. I will get August and September pay plus vacation pay of 134.09 hours.

I have a month to get a new job. I have already informed my son that he needs to get a job as well and that his portion of the bills will increase however much mine decreases.

Time to start trimming the fat.

Dave

Staff member
I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to get lab work drawn to check my NAFLD. I'm trying to get in to a dentist to get some stuff done, but the earliest I can be seen in September 29, which is almost a month after my insurance expires. Guess I just am destined to have fucked up teeth.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to get lab work drawn to check my NAFLD. I'm trying to get in to a dentist to get some stuff done, but the earliest I can be seen in September 29, which is almost a month after my insurance expires. Guess I just am destined to have fucked up teeth.
In light of this, your posting about drinking tea in another thread & your success in the Euro 2020 thread demonstrating, if not an actual knowledge of football, at least the ability to successfully bluff it, I hereby dub you an Honorary Brit.

I expect to see the addition of randoum "u"s to various woruds froum here on ouut.

Dave

Staff member
In light of this, your posting about drinking tea in another thread & your success in the Euro 2020 thread demonstrating, if not an actual knowledge of football, at least the ability to successfully bluff it, I hereby dub you an Honorary Brit.

I expect to see the addition of randoum "u"s to various woruds froum here on ouut.
I am honoured.

Boy, I knew we were getting fucked in the ass with our cell prices in Canada. What I didn't realize was just how hard.

1627583069098.png

Post a pic of your model number sticker. Some of us here are pretty good at finding stuff :D
I appreciate the offer, but my family is helping me get a gas stove. I'm taking my brother's old gas stove which he just replaced which is fine, but his girlfriend doesn't like because she doesn't trust gas for whatever reason.

Had a guy come over and he told me my house is literally the easiest house he's ever seen to add a kitchen gas line to which will be relatively inexpensive.

So other than a couple hundred bucks to get the gasline installed in the kitchen, this will hopefully end up a positive when I never have to use a glass top again.

Boy, I knew we were getting fucked in the ass with our cell prices in Canada. What I didn't realize was just how hard.

View attachment 38452
While admittedly not quite as bad, it's nice to see Belgium still take the second spot. Considering that we're one big cityscape filled to the brim with people, unlike Canada where, to be fair, there are some fairly large bits where there's few people and it might be a bit more expensive to put masts and the people-per-mast ratio might be a bit lower.

While admittedly not quite as bad, it's nice to see Belgium still take the second spot. Considering that we're one big cityscape filled to the brim with people, unlike Canada where, to be fair, there are some fairly large bits where there's few people and it might be a bit more expensive to put masts and the people-per-mast ratio might be a bit lower.
Government* mostly pays for those. Government pays for EVERYTHING the telecoms want.

*You know what this means

Colour us all pleased to see this :)
Post automatically merged:

I need to call Telus and chat with those pompous money grubbing chucklefucks again.
My sister just had it out with them and managed to get a pretty big reduction on her bills, new phone activation fee waived and 25$ a month credit for 3 months. I want her sorcery.

Why does a different machine work differently? Great question, let me answer that with this surgical 2x4.
The number of times I have had to answer variations of this question while working tech support over the years...

I've also had the reverse (latest just yesterday). Replaced a system with an identical one and the person goes "OOH, A NEW FAST SYSTEM!" No, it's the exact same model, so it will be a bit faster a first, but should overall perform about the same. "But it's new, so it must be faster!" It's the same model. "New is better!" But it's not new, it's identical to the last one. "Neeeeeeeew!! Faaaaast!" I'm going to walk away now before you start wanting my brains.

I hate when people leave you a voice mail but they don't say WHY they're calling. It's 9 times out of 10 a conversation you do NOT want to have. If it's something important, they'll always say why they're calling in the voicemail. Decades of my late grandmother's passive-aggressive phone messages have taught me that.

Ugh, and I was having such a low-stress week, too.

I wish my freaking furniture would get here.
I'm tired of sitting on this $30 walmart chair or the blow-up bed. And not being able to do anything after dark because there's no light in the living room--and I refuse to buy a lamp, because I already have more lamps than I need coming on the moving truck.

I wish my freaking furniture would get here.
I'm tired of sitting on this $30 walmart chair or the blow-up bed. And not being able to do anything after dark because there's no light in the living room--and I refuse to buy a lamp, because I already have more lamps than I need coming on the moving truck.

When we moved over to the mainland a few years back, Sarah went a month before I did and would come back on the weekends. Since everything was heading over later anyway, she didn't bring much and basically lived on a gravity lawn chair, a cardboard box table, and an air mattress as her only furniture. You reminded me of the severe lack of lighting in that place with your comment and now I've realized in addition to the lack of comfort, she likely did it mostly in the dark as well.

Though week 2 I think she did take a lamp back with her.

Last edited:
When we moved over to the mainland a few years back, Sarah went a month before I did and would come back on the weekends. Since everything was heading over later anyway, she didn't bring much and basically lived on a gravity lawn chair, a cardboard box table, and an air mattress as her only furniture. You reminded me of the severe lack of lighting in that place with your comment and now I've realized in addition to the lack of comfort, she likely did it mostly in the dark as well.

Though week 2 I think she did take a lamp back with her.
It's not as grim as when I first moved up to Virginia. Back then, I spent six months on a milk crate for a chair, no table, my computer and a monitor, and a blowup bed.

At least now, I have a walmart card table for a 'desk', and an actual chair. :D Still, I think it seems worse, because I've been impatiently waiting every day for the phone call that is supposed to tell me my furniture will be here the next day--rather than just resigning myself to a 6 month spartan existence in advance.

I hate when people leave you a voice mail but they don't say WHY they're calling. It's 9 times out of 10 a conversation you do NOT want to have. If it's something important, they'll always say why they're calling in the voicemail. Decades of my late grandmother's passive-aggressive phone messages have taught me that.

Ugh, and I was having such a low-stress week, too.
Yes! Our oldest has a cell number that used to belong to a real deadbeat. All of these cryptic voice mails were left. I finally called back on behalf of our minor child, and minor child was important, because of course they were collection calls for the previous owner of the number. I guess they can’t or won’t say what the call is for.

Some of the companies were pleasant because I was. Others were super hostile and I’m sure they thought I was lying.

Dave

Staff member
I just applied for a job I don't think I'll even get an interview for.

It was for a warehouse APPRENTICE and required like 2 years of forklift, etc. In other words, we want an apprentice to learn the business. Oh, and please have all of the necessary skills already because we don't ACTUALLY want to teach you anything, we just want to be able to pay you less.

I just applied for a job I don't think I'll even get an interview for.

It was for a warehouse APPRENTICE and required like 2 years of forklift, etc. In other words, we want an apprentice to learn the business. Oh, and please have all of the necessary skills already because we don't ACTUALLY want to teach you anything, we just want to be able to pay you less.
....so why apply?

Because I have less than a month to find a job or I'll be homeless.
I understand that, and I certainly understand why that would make you willing to take almost anything. I don't envy you that, but I understand it can be a pretty sucky part of life.
It's just that applying for a job where you don't even expect an interview, and even if you do get the interview, you know they're actually looking for the young and easily exploitable, doesn't sound like the best investment of your time. Let's say you spent a half hour getting your application together (I never managed it that fast, but, well, it depends on your methods I guess) and you get the interview and go there and spend another hour. That's an hour and a half you could've used to look further for a job where you'd be more likely to get hired. I don't mean it in the "aim for your dream job!" way, which is understandably a luxury you may not have right now, but in the "be as efficient with your time as possible" method.

Also, if it's really an entry-level apprentice job, chances are you could get something that pays similar in the hospitality sector right now, apparently they're really hurting for exploitable idiots valuable team members.

Dave

Staff member
Also, if it's really an entry-level apprentice job, chances are you could get something that pays similar in the hospitality sector right now, apparently they're really hurting for exploitable idiots valuable team members.
Couple of things. Right now I have nothing else to do BUT look for jobs. So it's not time wasted at all.

As to comparable hospitality jobs...you sweet summer child. Yeah I could get one of those real quick. For about $25-30k a year. Which is a little more than half of what I make now. So I'd still be on the street, but it would be a slow bleed rather than an open gushing wound. Hospitality jobs can't find people right now because they treat their employees like shit and they don't pay a living wage.

Now, I'm not discounting what you are saying. Far from it. But right now reality has its dick out & it's slapping me in the face.

Google Translate is not ok.

Google translate is not ok.

If I offer to write something for you because you don’t have second language skills, please just let me write it. Sending me your Google translated shit is a massive waste of my time.

And no, it can’t go out that way.

Google Translate, while it has gotten better (credit where it's due, but that was a LOW bar to clear), should never be used for anything that:

a. Has complete sentences; and
b. Will be read by someone else.

If it's just so you have an idea what some person wrote you in a language you don't speak, or if it's, for example, a list of equipment available, hey, have at it.

Anything more complex or with a wider distribution? Leave that shit to the pros. We went to school for it, we're pretty good at it (most of us, anyway).