[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I genuinely cannot comprehend what that feels like. It was 28 F (-2 C) yesterday and I thought I was going to freeze while walking to my car.
When the weather first gets wintery, I am like this. -2C? Fuck that, bundle up. But by the middle of winter, anything warmer than -15C and I'm outside in a t-shirt, unbothered. Then this -30C stuff comes around and I seriously consider faking my death so I don't have to leave the house.

Do not raise your hand during the class final and ask me to verify whether or not the answer you chose is correct.

Do not ask me to explain how you should write the fucking essay question - the point is that you should know.

Don't wear fucking earbuds during the test. I shouldn't have to explain why.

EDIT:
Don't ask a question that is CLEARLY stated in the prompt because you're too lazy to read the next sentence of directions.

Don't ask me if spelling counts on an ENGLISH LANGUAGE final.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
My photographer for July just backed out. She gave a full refund, but she was already paid for and cheap. I won’t find anyone this cheap again.

GasBandit

Staff member
Me: "I need 5 days for this task."

Management: "Here's 4. And 3 of them will have an intern shadowing you that will require you to stop down every 3 minutes and explain what you're doing."

Me: "Hope you didn't actually mean for me to complete this task."

And my main bathroom has sprung a leak......

Nothing to do with frozen pipes as it was leaking scalding hot water.

Just add it to the pile of things breaking while my family is stuck here because freezing rain has made their road home undriveable.

I haven't slept all weekend and I'm kind of at the end of my rope. I have to go back to work tomorrow.

Freaking 2:00pm is when all the old people go to CVS, I guess.

So, there's 5 people in front of me, and because everyone is old, each one of them wants to talk to the pharmacist about their bladder, their grandkids, or whatever. And none of them know how to use the freaking swipe machine.

So 20 minutes later, finally, the guy in front of me takes his turn, and he hands a prescription to the lady. It's not the dropoff line. She starts to hand it back and direct him to the correct line, and glances at it. I dunno what it's for, but she goes "You have COVID?" and he goes "yes". So she directs him instead to leave the fucking store and go through the drive-through.

Like that's gonna do any good for the rest of us that's been breathing this idiots air for over a quarter of an hour.

1672176589775.png

Freaking 2:00pm is when all the old people go to CVS, I guess.

So, there's 5 people in front of me, and because everyone is old, each one of them wants to talk to the pharmacist about their bladder, their grandkids, or whatever. And none of them know how to use the freaking swipe machine.

So 20 minutes later, finally, the guy in front of me takes his turn, and he hands a prescription to the lady. It's not the dropoff line. She starts to hand it back and direct him to the correct line, and glances at it. I dunno what it's for, but she goes "You have COVID?" and he goes "yes". So she directs him instead to leave the fucking store and go through the drive-through.

Like that's gonna do any good for the rest of us that's been breathing this idiots air for over a quarter of an hour.

View attachment 43470
It’s between lunch and early bird dinner, and warmest it has been since last Thursday. You were doomed.

So a translator handed in an obviously machine translated document, with only some mild editing. This translation was meant to be just the first part of a series of lengthy translations, for example imagine the client asked our company to translate a book and this translator was meant to do the whole thing in batches, but when she handed in the translated foreword it was machine translated. So we took away the rest of the translation case from her and gave it to someone else.

The most annoying thing is that this translator is usually reliable. In fact, she's usually one of our best translators for the specific field this case is about. But now that we've taken away the whole rest of this case from her, I'm afraid she's going to get pissed and refuse to take further cases from us. Especially since, according to her, she'd already started on translating the next part of the case. But on the other hand, if she uses the same machine translation strategy for the rest of the case, then I'm basically gonna have to retranslate the whole thing for her, and ain't nobody got time for that.

Our town has a volunteer fire company, and even though the township pays for most of their whatevers through taxes, they often send mailers to the town asking for donations. I'm fine with that. Heck, we've even donated a few times. But what I'm NOT okay with, is in the past 5 years or so, they started showing up at your door and try to strongarm you if you haven't sent in a donation. Just this afternoon, this one takes the cake to make me never want to donate again:

With the weather over the past week, some of our outdoor Christmas decorations got flash-frozen and haven't be usable. I was outside, struggling to fix them and battle with the remaining ice. A fire pickup truck parked towards the corner of our property and sat there, which I didn't think too much of at the time. (We're the first intersection off of a major road, so cars stop in front of our house to do whatever all the time.) I'm inside for not even a minute, and the doorbell rings. And, almost to no surprise, a fire dept. member is at my door.

Firedude: "Hello, Ms. [Celt Z], we noticed you haven't donated to the [local] Fire Company this year..."
Me: (fed up and cold)"...did you just sit there watching me struggle on my front lawn, and thought NOW was a good time to ask me for money?!?"
Firedude: (starts mumbling)
Me: "...I'll send you a check." /s , shuts door firmly

Assholes.

Our town has a volunteer fire company, and even though the township pays for most of their whatevers through taxes, they often send mailers to the town asking for donations. I'm fine with that. Heck, we've even donated a few times. But what I'm NOT okay with, is in the past 5 years or so, they started showing up at your door and try to strongarm you if you haven't sent in a donation. Just this afternoon, this one takes the cake to make me never want to donate again:

With the weather over the past week, some of our outdoor Christmas decorations got flash-frozen and haven't be usable. I was outside, struggling to fix them and battle with the remaining ice. A fire pickup truck parked towards the corner of our property and sat there, which I didn't think too much of at the time. (We're the first intersection off of a major road, so cars stop in front of our house to do whatever all the time.) I'm inside for not even a minute, and the doorbell rings. And, almost to no surprise, a fire dept. member is at my door.

Firedude: "Hello, Ms. [Celt Z], we noticed you haven't donated to the [local] Fire Company this year..."
Me: (fed up and cold)"...did you just sit there watching me struggle on my front lawn, and thought NOW was a good time to ask me for money?!?"
Firedude: (starts mumbling)
Me: "...I'll send you a check." /s , shuts door firmly

Assholes.
I know this doesn't help you at all, but the last small town I lived in funded the fire department entirely through proceeds of the weekly bingo game the town held. I thought it a neat idea.

I hate people coming to my door asking for money under any circumstance. If I wanted to give money, I'd have done it already via some other channel.

I know this doesn't help you at all, but the last small town I lived in funded the fire department entirely through proceeds of the weekly bingo game the town held. I thought it a neat idea.

I hate people coming to my door asking for money under any circumstance. If I wanted to give money, I'd have done it already via some other channel.
Ours has monthly fundraising events, like bingo, poker night, etc. I can't fathom why they feel justified in going door-to-door to harass people further. I saw the same guy go over to both my neighbors, and neither of them came to the door (though I know their home lol).

I swear to Christ above if one more thing breaks this week I'm gonna...

/Sodastream explodes shattering plastic bits everywhere and cutting my hand so deeply it took ten minutes to stop the bleeding.

....just fill my pants with rocks and walk into the man made mosquito breeding pool they call a lake a block away.

Both of my parents came down with COVID a few days ago. They went for nearly three years without getting it, and it finally reached them. They're both vaccinated and double-boosted, so that's good. They both feel like they have head colds right now. I was worried about my Mom's shredded respiratory system. She's severely asthmatic and is allergic to practically every airborne allergen under the sun. She has sneezed and wheezed her way through the past several decades. I'm glad that she's already feeling better but I was concerned for a while.

A couple weeks ago, these fuckers started coming into the house via a vent in the living room
1672952691327.png

I sprayed up in there really good with wasp spray, but every few days, one would fall out of the vent, and crawl around stunned on the floor until I killed it. It's so damn hard to sleep with the thought in your brain that a wasp can come out of your vent and land on your face at any time during the night.

Because of the holidays, I wasn't able to get someone out until today. They fogged the attic, and sprayed my eaves, but never located the nest. They did locate a space in the attic with a few dead wasps (likely from my spraying up in the vent), so hopefully the fogging will deal with the issue.

I've hated those buggers my whole life.
I have an irrational fear of them. Which is dumb, because I'm almost completely immune to the venom. When I get stung, I don't swell, I don't itch. The site doesn't turn red. I just get a little hole from the stinger, and the pain is akin to being stuck with a needle. But jesus do I hate those fuckers.

When I found the first one, it had made its way into my office, and I swatted it out of the air with my hand, and then hit it with a shoe so hard that I pulled a stomach muscle.

Dave

Staff member
I have my last DJ gig next weekend. Yeah, I know I've said this before, but now my system is failing and I don't trust it. I set it up in my basement today and played music really loud. After about an hour the whole thing crapped out. So I can't use my laptop any more. I only have three choices and two of them will cost me money.

1. Get a system from my old boss for the weekend. This has some pretty negative effects in that he never returns calls and is notoriously squirrely, plus I'd have to use disks or iPods again and wouldn't have access to my DJ software that makes life so much easier.
  2. Rent a laptop from a rental place, put the software on as well as my music library. Not sure how much or how long this contract would need to be.
  3. Get my system checked out & fixed. I think it's the headphone port but it would cost me a lot and would it be worth it for a single gig?
I'm at the end of my rope & don't know what to do with this.

A friend of mine died of cancer today. She was 35 and a genuine force for good in the world. We didn't keep in touch as much as I might have liked, she was always traveling around, involved in a bunch of international programs for youth in poverty and such.

FUCK cancer.
Sorry buddy. I've been in your shoes. It's hard. Fuck cancer.

Dave

Staff member
I've said it many, many times. The gigs I do for free always always ALWAYS end up being the most convoluted, bridezilla-fests. Good lord. Glad my mixer died because that gives me a great reason to never do this again. As much as I love doing DJ gigs, it can be a pain in the ass sometimes.