Minor victory thread

I haven't done board breaking in maybe 15 years.

I'm taking my desk apart in prep for the move. It's a big L-shaped desk that takes up a good third of my office. It won't fit into the apartment. So I'm tearing it down. Today was the hutch. The cardboard faux wood back wasn't a big deal, but all of the boards were like 5 or 6 feet long. Much too tall to fit in my trash can. I don't have a way to cut them to size--no table saw or such. So I just kung fu'd them. It was a lot easier than I expected.

1620173555826.png

1620173574173.png

I'm pretty sure this stuff is easier to break than pine. First one I broke, I way over-compensated and ended up slamming my foot into the ground pretty hard ;)

fade

Staff member
House sold. Can't say I had quite as good an experience as Tinwhistler, but it did sell. Took a month and a price drop, all because we are on a busy road. But the moment we dropped the price, we were flooded with calls. I guess people were looking for sub-700k, despite the fact that houses in this neighborhood regularly go for 1M. It's amazing to me how much having the neighborhood entrance house dings you. On the other hand, that supermarket/gas station 9 tactic works. We dropped to 699 (a relatively small price drop), and it was like night and day.

House sold. Can't say I had quite as good an experience as Tinwhistler, but it did sell. Took a month and a price drop, all because we are on a busy road. But the moment we dropped the price, we were flooded with calls. I guess people were looking for sub-700k, despite the fact that houses in this neighborhood regularly go for 1M. It's amazing to me how much having the neighborhood entrance house dings you. On the other hand, that supermarket/gas station 9 tactic works. We dropped to 699 (a relatively small price drop), and it was like night and day.
That old trick works even better now, because everyone and their aunt set automatic alerts for houses in #area with minimum x bedrooms and y bathrooms under price Z. Anyone looking for a house up to 700k will see your house at 699, and go, hey, that house is worth a million but it's too close to a big road? I can live with that minor drawback! While before, even if it was priced at 705k, only people searching for houses up to 800k would see it... And they would compare it to other houses at 799, with smaller downsides.

Same reason I've had the rent on my apartment set at 799/month for four years now, even though I could've easily raised it a bit.

Thanks to our current situation, we're able to refinance the house we bought 2.5 years ago. Two percent less fixed APR and because the value rose dramatically, $40,000 back to finish counters, deck and the driveway, eliminating all of the remaining big ticket items on this fixer-upper (great structure, but the previous owners didn't understand the concept of maintenance at all). All that and we pay it off sooner with a lower monthly payment.

Less important, but stupid fun: Today I figured out how to make my iPhone wallpaper automatically change based on the battery, so as my battery drains it will look like this:
1620398270897.png

It's a tremendous pain in the ass frankly. You have to search for everything (photos, run shortcut), which I didn't know because I've never messed with shortcuts
  1. Set up a shortcut for each image
    1. Find Photos - by Name Begins With (which you have to look at connected to your computer and will be something like IMG_9022), results limited to one
    2. Set wallpaper - Lock screen only, Photos as source (should use the thing you just filtered), no preview or whatever
    3. I named them by percentage (above 90, 70 to 80, 60 to 70, etc)
  2. Set up automation
    1. There is a setting for battery percentage, so I did above 90, below 80 and above 70 (2 automation rules),
    2. For the given percentage, run shortcut for that setting
    3. Turn off Ask before running
The hard part: letting your phone run down to test.

It's a tremendous pain in the ass frankly. You have to search for everything (photos, run shortcut), which I didn't know because I've never messed with shortcuts
  1. Set up a shortcut for each image
    1. Find Photos - by Name Begins With (which you have to look at connected to your computer and will be something like IMG_9022), results limited to one
    2. Set wallpaper - Lock screen only, Photos as source (should use the thing you just filtered), no preview or whatever
    3. I named them by percentage (above 90, 70 to 80, 60 to 70, etc)
  2. Set up automation
    1. There is a setting for battery percentage, so I did above 90, below 80 and above 70 (2 automation rules),
    2. For the given percentage, run shortcut for that setting
    3. Turn off Ask before running
The hard part: letting your phone run down to test.
@GasBandit could set a nude pic of himself for below 50 and the world would never know.

GasBandit

Staff member
@GasBandit could set a nude pic of himself for below 50 and the world would never know.
I'll have you know I have (with great effort) changed my battery habits. My previous phones battery life was utterly destroyed by my constant recharging to 100% every time it dropped below 70, to the point where in only 3 years it was only lasting 1/3rd of its original charge.

On my pixel 4a, I've started doing the 20-80 thing. I don't recharge until it hits 20%, and I stop charging once it hits 80%. This puts roughly 1/10th the cycle strain on the battery, making it last many more charge cycles than it would normally.

I'll have you know I have (with great effort) changed my battery habits. My previous phones battery life was utterly destroyed by my constant recharging to 100% every time it dropped below 70, to the point where in only 3 years it was only lasting 1/3rd of its original charge.

On my pixel 4a, I've started doing the 20-80 thing. I don't recharge until it hits 20%, and I stop charging once it hits 80%. This puts roughly 1/10th the cycle strain on the battery, making it last many more charge cycles than it would normally.
Good to hear.
I manage to do the 20 thing, but I realyl suck at the 80 thing. I do my best not to let it charge overnight, but still.

GasBandit

Staff member
Good to hear.
I manage to do the 20 thing, but I realyl suck at the 80 thing. I do my best not to let it charge overnight, but still.
I got this app called AccuBattery which has an alarm that goes off when it gets to 80%. I try to charge my phone while I'm at work instead of overnight, so that I can take it off the charger when the alarm goes off.

I can't wait for the day when you can just tell your phone, "Look, I know only charging to 80% means it's not going to last all day, but I DON'T CARE just DO it."

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I can't wait for the day when you can just tell your phone, "Look, I know only charging to 80% means it's not going to last all day, but I DON'T CARE just DO it."
My phone could last all day on 80%. I usually go ~48hours between charges to 100%, (because I can never remember to only charge to 80%.) If I could tell my phone to only charge to 80% during an overnight charge, I could charge it every night and only have the most extreme use days take it down below 20%.

Hmmmm, Is that future meade I smell?
All my research says you can get about 25lbs of honey per year out of a hive (sometimes more, sometimes less after leaving enough for the bees to overwinter with)..I need 12-15 lbs per batch of mead. So, that's 10 gallons of mead per year per hive. ;)

I got to photograph my son's Little League team today. They're not having baseball portraits this year because of Covid-stuff, so I brought my good camera along to get some action shots and a team photo.

I love photographing them at this age. They're having so much fun and it makes for great shots. All they need is to be themselves.

So this is how you wanna be, Best Buy? Fine.

I pulled into an empty parking lot and saw the shutters were already down. Looked at the new store hours as I circled around. Close at 7? You gotta be shittin' me! So I pull back out and drive on home, all sorts of mean tweets to post going through my head.

I get back home, change into comfy clothes, and give someone else the sale. So there.

Covid has made me, as I'm sure it's done to many of you, just...slightly...stir crazy. We've been wfh since mid-march last year and after checking with the higher-ups, a move back to Vancouver Island in October has made that permanent.

The change in location mid-way through was nice but in February the restlessness started to kick in again. I began looking for things I could do outside the house. For whatever reason, I started watching fishing videos and then in March, grabbed a rod and have been almost every weekend since. I went maybe twice in my life before this.

Now, in an effort to be able to get to some further lakes on the island, because the public transit here compared to the mainland sucks(I can't stand busses and really miss the Skytrain), and mostly since it's about damn time, I'm going to get my full driver's license. I've done basically 0 driving since getting my learners when I was 16, the only person I had that was willing to teach me then made it an even more stressful situation than it already was and I gave up after that. From there, several factors made it unnecessary to need, and, if I'm being honest, I just put it off because for a long time the idea of driving scared me a little. So, for 17 years I just renewed my learners to have an ID.

Today we did a little practice and while it was just some things in a parking lot and then a few times around a few blocks, there was some unexpected curveballs that I feel like I handled really well and it felt like a big step. I'm really excited to continue which is a huge jump from the trepidation I used to feel before when I even thought about starting. And all of it spurned on because I want to catch fish in different places and see more of the Island.

Next a small boat...

Last edited: