Oculus Quest 2

We have like three different VR threads going here so I don't really know which one to post on anymore. But I'll stick to this one, since I basically hijacked it. :p

Boneworks

When it's not janky as fuck, it's a lot of fun. The melee weapons don't really have the oomph that I like in, say, Gorn, but they're not bad. I also can't aim for shit and have to rely on near point blank range when shooting. I tried closing one eye to aim, but that doesn't seem to help any. My aim has always been piss poor in video games and doing it in VR like this is even worse.

Still, the concept is neat and the puzzles are interesting, though infuriating at points. Largely because picking up large objects doesn't really feel right since I can't get a good mental grasp of where it is. Like a long board that I need to place across a gap. I do appreciate that, at least so far, puzzles have different solutions. If I can't get a damn board to fit across a gap, I can climb across the wall like I'm rock climbing. Smashing boxes and playing around with the environment is fun, though.

Unfortunately, the game is really janky. Loading into the game is hit and miss. Either it doesn't load the level at all or its rendering is slow or jumpy to the point of being unplayable. But it's not consistent, so I can't explain what's going on there.

Half-Life Alxy

The recent Steam sale was drawing to a close and for days, I hemmed and hawed about buying this. Finally, I said "screw it" and bought it, and finally played it tonight after Boneworks' rendering bugged me too much.

This game is...jaw-dropping. The visuals alone are worth the price of admission. And it's a lot less janky than Boneworks. Although, in some ways, it's not quite as engaging as Boneworks. It was weird to go from seeing my arms and full body to just a pair of floating hands. There's no melee combat and as a result, you can't smash anything in the environment (which is weird for a series famous for its crowbar). Also, I think Boneworks' inventory spoiled me because I find it really frustrating to switch between a weapon, regular hand, or hacking device (so far). It's not the most immersive or intuitive system.

As with Boneworks, my aim is completely horrid and I've nearly run out of ammo multiple times (despite scouring every inch of an area I'm in). Even with a special aiming guide upgrade you unlock, my aim is still crap.

Everything else, though? Amazing, as I'd expect from a Valve game. It's a linear game, but you're carefully guided from one area to the next, with set pieces and things that properly draw your eye (even in VR).

I'm still getting the hang of the gravity gloves, where you point at something and then flip it towards you and are expected to catch it.

But I'm still digging the story and world, as I knew I would.

Alyx spoiled me for VR cause it was one of the first things I played and I don't think anything I have since has matched it's quality. Boneworks has been the closest so far to be fair but I found the same issues you did.

Last edited:
Alyx spoiled me for VR cause it was one of the first things I played and I don't think anything I have since has matched it's quality. Boneworks has been the closest so far to be far but I found the same issues you did.
Haven't tried vr yet but I think I'd like the view in games like new vegas or driving games with interiors even if they're not fully interactive with your hands or whatever vr is doing now

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I can tell you, I think I prefer games that still use physical joysticks for control (like how War Thunder works in VR), as I tried another flight sim a while back where you "gripped" a virtual yoke with your VR touch controllers and flew the plane that way, and your arms get really tired holding themselves in midair without actually holding a physical object that it can kind of rest on, and if you relax or let your hands move then the plane swerves....

I can't imagine how exhausting subnautica would have been if they'd followed through with their original plan of having you move your hands as if you were swimming to move in the game. I'll take the XBOX controller even in VR, yeah, thanks.

I can't imagine how exhausting subnautica would have been if they'd followed through with their original plan of having you move your hands as if you were swimming to move in the game. I'll take the XBOX controller even in VR, yeah, thanks.
On the one hand, I like the idea...in theory. It would certainly be immersive (more like SUBmersive, am I right? UP TOP!)

On the other hand, that would get exhausting fast, until you got the Seaglide and other vehicles.

Oh I know I wouldn't like moving to control a game, it's been so unreliable and I play games to chill out

GasBandit

Staff member
On the one hand, I like the idea...in theory. It would certainly be immersive (more like SUBmersive, am I right? UP TOP!)

On the other hand, that would get exhausting fast, until you got the Seaglide and other vehicles.
Even then, I've found that controlling "real" cockpits with touch controllers can get exhausting and the lack of tactile feedback breaks the immersion just as much, if not more, than just using a controller.

I mean, just hold your hand out in front of you, like, 2 feet in front of your chest. Now hold it there. Motionless. For 10 minutes. You can probably DO it, but it gets old fast. Not fun. That's what it would be like to pilot a seaglide with touch controllers.

Has anyone tried out the supernatural fitness app? I downloaded it today on a whim and did the day 1 workout, it was about 30 minutes long and a "light" workout. When I was done I had to crawl to my bed because my legs were so weak haha. All in all it seems really good so far. It's subscription bases 180 a year or 19 a month. I'm on the 7 day free trial so I'm going to give it a few days before I commit to the subscription. It's a rhythm based game similar to beat Saber but WAY less intense. You to warm up stretches, the workout, cool down stretches, and then a quick meditation session (on the 1st workout of the 1st week). I'll try to update if I remember on day 3 I work tomorrow so it's going to be just the workout and shower with no update.

I haven't decided yet, but I'm thinking of selling my Oculus Quest 2 and other equipment I bought for it. I find I just haven't been using it in nearly a month. I bought Half-Life Alyx and played some of it, but it just didn't grab me like I thought it would. I haven't felt a pressing need to get back into it. In fact, even though it was much jankier, I found Boneworks more immersive.

But I've been severely depressed the last few months and already spend 99.9% of my time just siting in front of my computer, staring at the screen, doing nothing, that I don't feel like strapping on the VR stuff and stare at a different screen and strain my eyes in a different way. And I've been playing a lot of other games like Grounded and Timerborn.

I don't know. I'll think about it more. I actually thought, if I sold it and got a decent price, I could use the money towards getting a new GoPro, which would honestly get more use by comparison.

So I've been using the "Supernatural" workout app for about 3 weeks now, I love it. I have tons more energy, I feel better about myself and I'm down somewhere between 2-4 pounds from when I started. I've been doing the "low" intensity workouts but I don't feel like I'm getting much from them anymore, so today I tried "Medium" intensity and about 4-5 minutes into the 21 minute workout I was gassed but I think that's where I'm going to have to stay because Low just doesn't hit me like it use to. If anyone is interested that has an Oculus it has a 7 day free trial then it's 20 bucks (after taxes) a month and you can have up to 4 family members for that price on your quest. There's also leaderboards and you can add and compete with friends for the "top score" of working out for the week
workout.png

Accounting+

There's a Fantasy Quest VR bundle on Fanatical right now with a bunch of games redeemable through Oculus (rather than Steam, surprisingly). Which I'm okay with, since I enjoy the convenience of playing right off my headset rather than streaming through my PC.

Anyway, Accounting+ was in this bundle. I heard it was funny, and I like Rick & Morty, so I thought I'd give it a try.

It's...okay. It's clever at times, but it's mostly just creator/voice actor Justin Roiland clearly improvising pretty much all his lines and making most of it up along the way. Which is funny at times, but mostly grating when you're trying to solve a puzzle and he just keeps talking, often repeating the same lines.

It's a short game, though there's more to unlock so I'll probably dive in again to try opening the extra levels.

Ghost Giant

I haven't quite completed it yet, but I get the feeling I'm near the end. This is a wonderful, charming game like something out of a storybook. You're the titular ghost giant who befriends a small boy and helps him with various tasks, like helping with the farm.

It reminds me quite a bit of A Fisherman's Tale, one of the first VR games I played and enjoyed quite a lot. Though the puzzles aren't as clever as Fisherman's Tale, and the controls are a little more finicky. The game doesn't respond as smoothly for grabbing or poking things. And like most VR games, the throwing mechanic is horrible. But it has an undeniable charm to it.

I'm starting to realize that, aside from workouts games that work up a good sweat, my favourites have been charming little puzzle games like this. I find them incredibly endearing.

Hey, so I had an idea. I think you can host private servers on Big Screen for movie nights. Would anyone here be interested in joining for that? I could host. Not sure what movies, off hand. Recently, I've been thinking of watching the Despecialized Editions of the original Star Wars trilogy. And I have tons of other movies "legally obtained" that I've been wanting to watch.

Hey, so I had an idea. I think you can host private servers on Big Screen for movie nights. Would anyone here be interested in joining for that? I could host. Not sure what movies, off hand. Recently, I've been thinking of watching the Despecialized Editions of the original Star Wars trilogy. And I have tons of other movies "legally obtained" that I've been wanting to watch.
I'd be willing to give it a try, but I'm 100% talking during the movie

GasBandit

Staff member
Dei, Snuffles, Terrik and I did that one night to watch the new Bill and Ted movie, and I'd done it another time or two with random people. It usually works pretty good (or did 2 years ago). I had to take apart my VR stuff though, or I would have liked to join :/

If the VR equipment is too much of a hurdle for a lot of people though, you can accomplish much the same thing (granted not in VR) in Discord.

I'd be willing to give it a try, but I'm 100% talking during the movie
Oh, that's fine. It's not like we haven't seen Star Wars a billion times. I tend to talk a little during movies, though I try to time it during points when characters aren't talking.

Synth Riders

Finally decided to snag the VR Discovery Bundle that included Synth Riders.

I only played a few songs, but I really dig this one. There's something about this that feel more like OhShape than Beat Saber and that's probably why I enjoy it. I especially enjoy the electro swing style songs. They're a blast and I actually found myself kinda dancing to the beat a little as I played.

Of course, whatever pathetic floundering I do, it will never top this:

I've barely used my Oculus in months and been on the verge of maybe selling it.

But this new video from People Make Games is a great deep dive into VR Chat. As I said in the comments, I tried VR Chat for like five minutes, jumping around to the public rooms. And I lost interest quickly because it was just a bunch of obnoxious kids. Since I'm 44 years old, I kept my mouth shut because I felt creepy just being an adult among all this. One kid followed me around shouting "HEY WOULD YOU DO ME?" over and over, to which I just ignored. But this video makes me feel like I missed something.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've barely used my Oculus in months and been on the verge of maybe selling it.

But this new video from People Make Games is a great deep dive into VR Chat. As I said in the comments, I tried VR Chat for like five minutes, jumping around to the public rooms. And I lost interest quickly because it was just a bunch of obnoxious kids. Since I'm 44 years old, I kept my mouth shut because I felt creepy just being an adult among all this. One kid followed me around shouting "HEY WOULD YOU DO ME?" over and over, to which I just ignored. But this video makes me feel like I missed something.

I had a similar experience to you when I tried VR Chat. Though, I stuck with it for longer. I tried five or six times to get into it, playing sometimes as long as 3 hours. But each time, I felt like...

Well, the closest analogue I can think of, is sometimes (in real life) I get sent to a High School to do something to their AV system in the library or the cafeteria or something. And like you, I'm a younger GenXer. So invariably, I am an outsider who stands no chance in being included in any social interaction there - and indeed, have little desire to be so.

The most fun I had in VR chat was usually in just... throwing the frisbee objects back and forth with random people in the hub world who were also clearly there for their first time (which lasted about 3 minutes per person, before they went off to find out what more there was to do) or just traveling from random location to random location looking at various people's avatars. Some people have really gone all out and they can be impressive.

Whenever I found an area where less immature people were having a conversation, it always felt like if I tried to interject myself into their conversation, I'd be intruding. Much like I'm sure first time lurkers on messageboards or chat rooms have felt for decades. So even when I found people closer to "my group," I still didn't think there was a graceful way to begin engaging with them. And I generally have no problem in real life introducing myself to new people and getting to know them! But most of these locations in VR Chat (at least the ones not serving as Preteen Zoomer Playpens) have a much more sedate and almost intimate vibe going on, which makes it feel much more like an intrusion to butt in.

But everything changes if you can get a gimmick.

For example, if you can make a cool avatar (or just find and copy one) and make that your schtick, people will come up and engage you.

Or you can do what I did, and become a Human/Anime Landmine.

There were two games that got me to learn to do stuff in Unity - Beat Saber, and VR Chat. I've imported the models of select Halforums Academy characters into both, converting them from the MMD assets (which themselves were ripped from memory while running the game and then converted into MMD format). The whole process made me learn (the hard way) a lot about Blender and Unity, and it's probably not for everyone. Heck, I'm a bit of a tech-head and even I found the process less like recreation and more like work. But once I was cloaked in the guise of a small anime highschool girl that nobody outside HF had ever seen before, people seemed more interested in coming over to look at me - and then came the landmine part.

I roleplayed someone similar to Mr. Torgue from Borderlands, if he'd been possessed by Zuul. The snarly 40 year old voice coming out of the tiny anime girl got a lot of chuckles and interaction for a bit... but then I realized it was not the kind of interaction I really wanted. It was more like acting the clown for preteen cousins at a family reunion.

The conclusion I came to was basically the same that I have had for online gaming in general for the past 10 or so years - online interaction is ok and all, but it's best when experienced alongside people you already know. I often thought how cool it would be if headsets were ubiquitous and as cheap as earbuds, and, say, there was an easy way to transition straight from HF into a private Halforums-access-only bar- or restaurant-themed landing area. There's been many a night on Jackbox Night where even when the games stopped, the voice conversations continued. And if it was as easy as it were in "full dive" pop fiction to hop in and out and converse with friends, I think it'd be a much more enjoyable experience.

But just being dropped into the middle of a high school cafeteria where none of the other adults have bothered to show up for months and are not expected to come back ever again... well, it feels out of place at best, and icky-creepy at worst.

I used it a lot less, but I think I had more positive social interactions in Bigscreen. At least there, everybody's there for a common purpose - they want to watch movies or shows with other people. A few times I would watch a movie or something, and I'd do it in a public room I opened in Bigscreen, and it was very common for people to hop in and watch with us. Of course, the down side is, if it is a movie you're seeing for the first time, social interaction may be a detriment rather than an enhancement to the process. But if you're watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail for the 35th time, why not do it where other random people might join you? At least there, unlike VR Chat, you know you've got something in common to start from.

Last edited:
Half-Life Alyx

My Quest 2 has been collecting dust for months. I've been on the verge of selling it. I'll turn it on briefly, get all the updates, fiddle around with some stuff, maybe play a game for a few minutes, and then shut it all down.

Well tonight was different. I decided to dive back into Half-Life Alyx. I tried getting back into it before but when I loaded my save, I'd completely forgotten the controls and there was no real helpful way for me to relearn them. So I restarted from scratch.

Several hours later, I made it well past the point I'd last left off and I'm hooked again.

I think part of the reason I fell off is Boneworks spoiled me in how I could interact with the environment. HL Alyx felt confining or limited by comparison. But Boneworks isn't fresh in my mind anymore, so I think that's why HL Alyx grabbed me tonight.

My only problem is the same as I had previously: my aim absolutely suuuuuuuucks. I waste half my ammo just trying to take down a room of enemies. You get a mod early on for your gun which highlights weak points, but I'm lucky to hit them at all, let along the weak points unless they're nearly breathing down my neck. Headcrabs are the worst because they won't hold still. I fought my first Combine soldiers before I logged out for the night and Jesus Christ, I could barely hit them. And yet I still managed to get one lucky shot on one soldier's weakspot and caused their backpack or something to ignite (earning an achievement).

Structurally, it's similar to other Half-Life games. They telegraph a trap a mile away. Like a long, dark hallway with a new thingamabob at the end of it. And I KNEW, as soon as I grabbed it, that everything would go to Hell.

Still, I want to keep playing because the game is GORGEOUS. There's one point early in, with a certain mural, that I spent several minutes pouring over every detail. And I want to experience the ending for myself, even though I've seen playthroughs of it on YouTube. Hopefully I don't let the damn thing collect dust again before playing again.

Maybe I can finally get around to doing that Star Wars movie night in Bigscreen if people are still interested in doing that.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have what may be a silly question. How does one buy games for this? Credit card only?
Generally through some manner of online store - most commonly Steam or the Oculus Store. Both of which pretty much go by credit card, yeah (though you can buy steam gift cards with cash)

Thank you both :)

My son wants one and I am looking into Christmas gift ideas for family to give him games for one. So Steam cards or cash?

I would welcome any game ideas. The one he’s looking at comes with Beat Sabre.

GasBandit

Staff member

My son wants one and I am looking into Christmas gift ideas for family to give him games for one. So Steam cards or cash?

Beat Saber is the quintessential VR experience imo, so it's a good place to start.
One of the current games in the zeigeist that supports VR is Phasmophobia.
War Thunder is an excellent VR-supporting flight simulator, and is free to play, but some people might have vertigo issues with it.
Subnautica supports VR, though it's best played with an xbox-style controller as vr handheld controllers don't really work with it.
My Oculus Rift came with a game called "Robo Recall," I don't know if yours will, but it's a very fun game.
Bigscreen isn't a game, per se, but it's a great way to watch movies and shows in a virtual environment. And it's free.
Skyrim has a VR version but I've heard some people have motion sickness issues with it.
There's a VR mod for Minecraft, and I've tried it... it's neat but it REALLY gave me motion sickness and usually I don't have that kind of problem.

Honorable mention: Job Simulator, Superhot, The Lab.... also there was a mini golf game whose name escapes me that @Dei said was really good

How old is your son, and how much violence do you want him to be exposed to?
If you're not worried about blood and violence, other fun games are:
Gorn
Killing Floor: Incursion
Blade and Sorcery

One thing that's important to remember, and I think a lot of people here are forgetting, is that there are two ways to use the quest. You can either use it plugged into your computer (or connected via high speed wifi) to run games off of your computer with the quest as the VR display/interface, or you can use it as a stand alone using the built in hardware. Running it off of PC requires a good gaming computer to be able to push the framerate needed not to feel sick in VR, and you can use whatever you want for PC, steam, the occulus store (I think called the meta store now), etc. If running as stand alone hardware, however, you are limited to only meta.

And while most enthusiasts probably use the quest connected to a PC, the vast majority of people who have a quest only use it in stand alone mode.

GasBandit

Staff member
One thing that's important to remember, and I think a lot of people here are forgetting, is that there are two ways to use the quest. You can either use it plugged into your computer (or connected via high speed wifi) to run games off of your computer with the quest as the VR display/interface, or you can use it as a stand alone using the built in hardware. Running it off of PC requires a good gaming computer to be able to push the framerate needed not to feel sick in VR, and you can use whatever you want for PC, steam, the occulus store (I think called the meta store now), etc. If running as stand alone hardware, however, you are limited to only meta.

And while most enthusiasts probably use the quest connected to a PC, the vast majority of people who have a quest only use it in stand alone mode.
That's a good point, and one I had forgotten, as you say.

I think it's still called the Oculus store

But it does have a lot of games we'd previously mentioned, like Beat Saber, Walkabout Mini Golf, Bigscreen, Robo Recall, Gorn...

Also a couple I forgot about - Dead and Buried (which is better as a multiplayer experience tbh, and apparently has a sequel now), and also there's been a lot of hype for the Iron Man VR game.

So, I've officially uninstalled all my VR apps and games from my PC. Charging the Quest 2 now but going to turn it on one last time to do a factory reset and then sell it through Facebook Marketplace (which is kind of ironic, since it's a Facebook product).

I've said a few times that this thing is collecting dust more often than not since I bought it. Once the novelty of VR wore off, I find there isn't enough to keep me there. I don't like shooting games because either my aiming is awful or trying to aim in VR is awful (probably the former, but either could be true). Out of all the games I enjoyed the most, it was Ghost Giant and A Fisherman's Tale. Boneworks didn't do it for me for long. Alyx was gorgeous, but too frustrating to continue playing. It's a neat experience to watch something in BigScreen, but having this giant slab of plastic on my head gets uncomfortable after awhile, especially on my neck. So it's a neat experience to sit down in a BigScreen theater and briefly watch Rick & Morty while it's streaming, but it's another to have the patience or endurance for watching a full 2 hour movie. I find my eyes get watery after awhile, too, but I don't know if that's common.

For me, it seems like VR is good for one of three biggest experiences: 1) FPS, of which my aim is always atrocious, 2) Rhythm games like Beat Sabre, which are just not my thing, or 3) Things like VR Chat, where are definitely not my thing. If your enjoyment doesn't primarily come from one of those three things, you're probably not going to play it for long. And of the ones I do enjoy - charming puzzle games - there far and few of them.

So yeah, maybe I'll give VR another try in a few years if the technology improves and we get lighter headsets. I honestly think the future is the hand tracking technology, but I don't think it's there yet, either. I feel like VR is on the edge of something REALLY great for casual idiots like me that like it, but not everything about it, but it's just quite there yet.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Until there's better tactile feedback (IE, weight and resistance), I think VR is just another "guitar hero" special controller fad. I still have my oculus but I haven't used it in years. And with the changes to how facebook has put its claws deeper and deeper into it, I'm not sure I'm really enthused at the prospect anyway.

Until there's better tactile feedback (IE, weight and resistance), I think VR is just another "guitar hero" special controller fad. I still have my oculus but I haven't used it in years. And with the changes to how facebook has put its claws deeper and deeper into it, I'm not sure I'm really enthused at the prospect anyway.
I was thinking the other day about the Guitar Hero/Rock Band craze that died off almost as soon as it arrived. And VR has kind of taken its place, in that the most popular game on it is a similar rhythm game in Beat Saber. So the genre didn't die so much as it just moved peripherals.