[Gaming] Official E3 2014 Thread

Granted that overworld could just be a devkit/demo area, too, but it definitely had the Hyrule Field kind of feel to me. I could see this branching out almost anywhere, really (though I haven't played Skyward, so I'm not sure about that). "Link's" clothes do remind me of the ones I've seen in SS screens/videos, though, and the game is bright, like SS/Wind Waker.

Granted that overworld could just be a devkit/demo area, too, but it definitely had the Hyrule Field kind of feel to me. I could see this branching out almost anywhere, really (though I haven't played Skyward, so I'm not sure about that). "Link's" clothes do remind me of the ones I've seen in SS screens/videos, though, and the game is bright, like SS/Wind Waker.
It could be that this is, yet again, another prequel. I sure hope not though. I want a continuation for once. If not my favorite timeline (Twilight Princess) then at least the original one. The last continuation game of the original timeline is Zelda 2.

I always preferred the old idea that the various zelda games (that weren't direct sequels) were reinterpretations of old myths and traditions, retold by various people to explain the differences between them, with the names and characters more or less staying the same. It lost some of its charm when they came out with an official timeline and started linking (no pun intended) them all together.

I always preferred the old idea that the various zelda games (that weren't direct sequels) were reinterpretations of old myths and traditions, retold by various people to explain the differences between them, with the names and characters more or less staying the same. It lost some of its charm when they came out with an official timeline and started linking (no pun intended) them all together.
I'd never heard that idea before, but I honestly love it.

I might be interested in Zelda again, if it DOES turn out the current Link is actually a female. I'm not the only one who seems to think it from that trailer ether... especially since they covered their head with the blue hood for most of it.
Female Link never occurred to me, but as I watched the trailer I was increasingly expecting the reveal that this was a playable Zelda.

Public beta is July 17th... I can't wait to try it.... oh wait... that's right .... it's only for consoles... an FPS... on consoles... go fuck yourselves Bungie. Every console too.... UGH... what a wasted opportunity.

Looks interesting.

Looks REALLY interesting.

I'm trying not to get too excited about Shadow of Mordor, but it's difficult. I doubt they'll be able to pull off what they've promised, but it looks so damn cool...

This is the first time the game has appeared on my radar. What kind of game is it?
I first learned of it from this trailer here:

Basically, the idea is that the game world, NPCs, and enemies are very persistent, in the sense that any NPCs that the game generates for you early in the game will develop and grow as you play the game. The mook that got away early on might show up later as a boss NPC, or something like that.

I think I'm not doing the game justice with my crappy description. Watch the video for more.

This is the first time the game has appeared on my radar. What kind of game is it?
Combat and movement is like Assassin's Creed, but the game's big thing is that your enemy NPCs will develop based on your actions, and because there are many of them, with armies being affected, you're shaping the culture of the world, affecting the story you'll be playing. You have numerous ways to handle encounters with enemies in the field, or with particular missions, and these will affect other enemies and other missions. NPCs have personalities, will learn and change based on your actions. If an enemy escapes, this could mean dealing with an ambush later, or it could mean tracking them down. Getting an orc to do your bidding can mean gathering information, turning other orcs against Mordor, or even having them attempt assassinations on bosses. They may not succeed, but their efforts can help you. There's more detail to it, but I got my info from a several-page article in GameInformer and the ambition sounds breath-taking.

Downside is, right now it's all talk. We'll see whether the game can live up to any of it.

Yeah I looked at that image and immediately dreaded the hours of HYAT HYEAH HUT HYEAH HUT HUT HYAT
Really? That was one of my favorite parts of A Link Between Worlds. :p

Apparently Nintendo has some secret 3DS project that they may or may not still announce this week.[DOUBLEPOST=1402568784,1402568631][/DOUBLEPOST]
It was going to be an Arkham game before getting reskinned.
I don't see anything online to suggest that. The developers say they were inspired by the Arkham games, but not that it once was one. At the same time, now that you've said that I can see it--different Gotham gangs instead of orcs. I don't think that would've been as good, since the Arkham gangs have their distinct factions from the start, while orcs are orcs and how they divvy themselves up would be more fluid.

I don't see anything online to suggest that. The developers say they were inspired by the Arkham games, but not that it once was one. At the same time, now that you've said that I can see it--different Gotham gangs instead of orcs. I don't think that would've been as good, since the Arkham gangs have their distinct factions from the start, while orcs are orcs and how they divvy themselves up would be more fluid.
I could have sworn I'd read it had begun in it's earliest stages as an Arkham spinoff before getting a different IP applied, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

When I first read about it, it sounds Assassin's Creed-y, but totally different companies. Arkham would at least be under the same distributor.

Speaking of Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft is getting deservedly tarred and feathered over the internet for the whole "women are too hard to animate" thing. I'm not sure why they even started this unless it was to get some publicity for Unity, considering that franchise isn't as popular as it used to be. I wouldn't think it'd be hard to throw in a female assassin model considering they make so many for the multi-player anyway. This really reeks of a publicity stunt--get people pissed all of a sudden, then give them what they wanted and the game got some free attention, more than it would have if they had done it without the drama.

That said, it's way too much fun making fun of them, like the Frozen animators' bitching about it being too hard to design different female faces. Although they meant it, and for all I know, Ubisoft does too. I don't care; I'm done with that series except for eventually buying the pirate one when it gets down to $15 or something, and that's not for the assassin parts.

Eh.
Mordor one might actually be fun, but I'll have forgotten about by the time it comes out.
Witcher III is next year.
Errr....Wake me when Starcraft II part III is out? :p

figmentPez

Staff member
The themed henchmen for any given villain switch around to working for whomever is out of jail. I'm pretty sure I've seen jokes about the same henchmen working for Riddler one week, Two-Face the next, etc. And that's not even considering a No Man's Land type situation, where the power struggle sees gangs wiped out, and their survivors dead or forced to join the new gang.

So Nintendo's secret 3DS project ... was it Metroiod? Mother 3? Pokemon Snap? Majora's Mask?

No, it's a new IP, Code Steam, a steampunk game set in London, to be released in 2015.

Dammit.

This exclusive bullshit makes me rage.

NO, I WON'T BUY YOUR CONSOLE FOR 2 GAMES.

CONGRATS ON BEING ON MY "LET'S PLAY" PLAYLIST NEXT YEAR.

Hey, I haven't read the rest of the thread, but did y'all hear about the Grim Fandango HD remaster that they're doing....

FOR PS4 and VITA only ..... RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....

On the other hand,official drivers for the Xbone controller are out.
Actually, Tim Schafer has said on Twitter that Grim Fandango will show up on other platforms. It just seems that it will start as "exclusive" to PS4 and PS Vita, then go out to other platforms.

I am disappointed by no Majora's Mask remake, but not surprised. Between Hyrule Warriors and Zelda U, there's a lot of Zelda coming soon that Nintendo wouldn't want to over-saturate the franchise.

Hyrule Warriors and Splatoon may be buys--will have to see reviews.

If/when I get a PS4, Evolve and No Man's Sky are must-buys, but that won't be until we're ready to put away the PS3 ... gonna be a while.

Costume Quest and Stacking were both console exclusive, but eventually came to Steam. Double Fine understands the PC market.
I think Schaefer knows, deep down, who his real customer-base is. Why he waits on PC releases, I don't know, but it seems like you're right in that they always end up on PC eventually.

He makes timed exclusive deals because that's a way to get funding.
Sony will also do a ton of marketing if it's an exclusive. Marketing is big in vidya games. And expensive.
Both of these are it. DoubleFine is a small indie studio... so to get money for things, they often have to make really shitty deals on stuff. What I think it more amazing is that they have the rights to Grim Fandango. I thought that was still tie up with LucasArts and therefore part of Disney now.

I am disappointed by no Majora's Mask remake, but not surprised. Between Hyrule Warriors and Zelda U, there's a lot of Zelda coming soon that Nintendo wouldn't want to over-saturate the franchise.
I hope they never ever remake it, and it is as forgotten as the CDi Zelda games. That was... just painful. The story was interesting, but the gameplay was horrific. Side-quest-o-rama, instead of an actual story thread you can follow through with. It's like Skyrim, except FORCING you to do all the little side-quests for that one item you need, or for getting HEALTH, instead of making them there for flavour when you want to. And also making you wait around for 5-10 minutes at a time (or more) if you fail an event to try again. Not to mention the fact that the stupid game only has 4 main dungeons (plus the final one). Ugh. I got all the masks in that game, got Fierce Deity, completed it, and have literally not played it since. Too many painful memories.

Twilight princess may have been late, but it was exactly what I was waiting for. Tons of dungeons, few side-quests, no annoying retry/time mechanics.