Random Video Game Crap

Enshrouded really doesn't feel like Valheim. Easy Quick Travel and no supports for buildings is a big part of that. But it's also a game with a lot of small objectives and feels more like an RPG with survival elements than a survival game.

I refunded (Enshrouded) it because I bought it to play multiplayer and the multiplayer is ass.
I got this game specifically to play with my husband and I don't see any issues with the multiplayer, as long as you don't want it to be a game where everyone just runs off and does their own thing I guess.

Dave

Staff member
I got this game specifically to play with my husband and I don't see any issues with the multiplayer, as long as you don't want it to be a game where everyone just runs off and does their own thing I guess.
When we first started playing it the lag and stuttering was so bad that you couldn't move. Fighting was awful. And since I'm a shift worker, I am not on when my friends are. So they do the quests or I do the quests, but we can't all do it except for rare times we're all online. It's an unnecessary mechanic that handcuffs you. You either ONLY play online together all the time or you play a co-op survival game solo.

GasBandit

Staff member
When we first started playing it the lag and stuttering was so bad that you couldn't move. Fighting was awful. And since I'm a shift worker, I am not on when my friends are. So they do the quests or I do the quests, but we can't all do it except for rare times we're all online. It's an unnecessary mechanic that handcuffs you. You either ONLY play online together all the time or you play a co-op survival game solo.
To be fair, Valheim also advances everyone whether they're online or not, and that was a source of contention for people who wanted to not be online every single day. They'd log in a week later to find their wood huts beseiged by Plains enemy raids. Though, they've since capped noob biomes to not put high tier raids in them anymore

Will like I said, this is less a survival game, and more an open world RPG that let's you build a house. So yeah, if you were looking for a pure survival game, this isn't it.

"I'm not saying nobody's allowed to enjoy superheroes, I'm just saying if you are, you're probably a little mentally stunted." - Yahtzee Crowshaw on a recent Second Wind podcast.

And with that, I'm unsubscribing to Second Wind. Fuck off with that ablest shit. He basically said "Anyone who likes superheroes is r-word."

You don't like superheroes? Fine. I don't care. What I DO care is when you use ablest slurs to put down people who enjoy something.

What I DO care is when you use ablest slurs to put down people who enjoy something.
Except... he didn't use a slur? At least not if what you quoted is all that he said. Maybe it changes in context, I didn't hear the podcast, but that doesn't sound any different than any of his other hyperbolic statements.

Now if what he said upset you, that's perfectly valid, you have every right to unsubscribe and be mad. But I don't see any slurs here.

Except... he didn't use a slur? At least not if what you quoted is all that he said. Maybe it changes in context, I didn't hear the podcast, but that doesn't sound any different than any of his other hyperbolic statements.

Now if what he said upset you, that's perfectly valid, you have every right to unsubscribe and be mad. But I don't see any slurs here.
"Mentally stunted" is just the r-word with more syllables. And the r-word IS an ablest slur.

"Mentally stunted" is just the r-word with more syllables. And the r-word IS an ablest slur.
Agree to disagree? The fact that we're typing one of those and censoring the other to me suggests they aren't a one to one. But it obviously upset you, and I can't argue against how someone else feels because that's obviously valid, so I'll drop it from here.

Agree to disagree? The fact that we're typing one of those and censoring the other to me suggests they aren't a one to one. But it obviously upset you, and I can't argue against how someone else feels because that's obviously valid, so I'll drop it from here.
Honestly, given your "jokes" in the past, when I saw the notification that you replied, I was genuinely expecting you to just respond with something like "LOL, this is r#@%&*ed."

Arguing over fucking semantics is almost as bad.

Forget it. I'm too angry to keep going on this shit. I'm trying to read comics right now, ironically. Like someone "mentally stunted" would do, I guess

*sigh* And I guess I'm the asshole in this because someone on the Second Wind account corrected me in saying "mentally stunted" is meant to be emotionally immature. Fine. Guilty.

1000002825.jpg

Whoever is replying could sure as hell be a lot less defensive about it.

I still stand by the opinion that the comment was uncalled for. There's no need to jokingly degrade an entire part of your audience.

figmentPez

Staff member
"I'm not saying nobody's allowed to enjoy superheroes, I'm just saying if you are, you're probably a little mentally stunted." - Yahtzee Crowshaw on a recent Second Wind podcast.

And with that, I'm unsubscribing to Second Wind. Fuck off with that ablest shit. He basically said "Anyone who likes superheroes is r-word."

You don't like superheroes? Fine. I don't care. What I DO care is when you use ablest slurs to put down people who enjoy something.
Doing a quick search on Twitter for "mentally stunted" shows it's frequently used by people who want to say the slur but don't want to get their post flagged for automatic moderation.

In this case it's like trying to claim "well I didn't use a slur, all I did was say something racist".

I think that's the point other people are missing about the r-word being a slur. It's not about it being a magic word, it's about it being prejudiced against people who have some sort of intellectual disability. If you think it's racist as fuck for someone to say "if you can find happiness just sitting out outside eating fried chicken, watermelon, and drinking grape soda, then you must be a stupid black person" regardless of if they said the n-word, then you should think it's prejudiced as fuck to say what Yahtzee did, even though he used a more polite term for intellectual disability. Equating being into superheroes, with mental disability is perpetuating prejudice towards a minority.

On the other hand, a google search for "mentally stunted" does in fact auto-populate with results for "emotionally stunted," which seems to have a specific meaning that isn't the same as throwing out the r-word for the sake of being prejudiced and insulting.

In this case, I think how you interpret what Yahtzee said is going to come down to whether you're willing to give him the benefit of the doubt regarding what he was trying to communicate. Does it seem more likely that he was making a token effort to dodge technically saying a slur while conveying the same meaning, or that it a less malicious but still kind of shitty and incredibly condescending cheap shot at the superhero audience? From what I've seen and heard from him I'm inclined to believe it's the latter, but maybe you've all had different experiences.

EDIT: I don't think I've laughed so hard in a long time. I was already laughing to tears throughout the video, but I fucking lost it at the 17:25 mark.

Last edited: