Random Video Game Crap

I guess all the CHUDs from Gamergate 1 are taking another shot at it. Nice seeing complete mongoloid dipshits like the Quartering, Grummz all being signal boosted by Libs of Tiktok and Elon Musk (concerning).

What are they mad about? The existence of a consulting firm that helps the incredibly white AAA gaming industry with diversity ideas.

The second worst crime in gaming. (The first is not being a man)

All the rightwing chud grifters are getting involved, Alex Jones, Matt Walsh, etc. It kicks ass. It's not like both these dipshits haven't complained about how video games are making men into boys and women consistently or anything.

I think I'm ready to leave interacting with other people on the internet behind totally. Gamergate 1 was too stupid for words and was basically the dry run for Trump (Bannon was a major force behind the first one).

It's the "Failed Auteur" shit that affects a lot of the Right, like Ben Shaperio, who SOMEHOW failed to make it in Hollywood despite having all the connections in the world. You have to be really bad to fail that hard. They resent not being able to make their shitty, shitty projects and freak out when people they think are beneath them succeed.

I'm just gonna ask, and @GasBandit is probably the right person to ask, why can I never just click an imgur embed? Every time I have to copy and paste the link or I just get nebulous grey nothing. Is this a common imgur thing?

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm just gonna ask, and @GasBandit is probably the right person to ask, why can I never just click an imgur embed? Every time I have to copy and paste the link or I just get nebulous grey nothing. Is this a common imgur thing?
Short version: Because imgur sucks.

Sometimes the media embed engine can make it work on firefox/chrome, but usually the only way to get an imgur embed to display correctly is to post the link to the entire gallery and not the specific video you want to display, and that makes different API calls which will usually result in videos playing... but if you want to pull ONE video out of a specific 80-entry dump, you're pretty much fucked and it's gonna have to get clicked-through to play.

And unfortunately for unrelated reasons, things will probably only get worse, because as various API changes happen, the media embed plugin will fall further and further out of date, and we can no longer update it without some major overhauls happening.

GasBandit

Staff member
Aaand I just realized you guys don't mean the "they don't play in the embed" problem, you mean you click on them and it doesn't open in a new window. And for that, I have no idea. I've heard of it happening before, but it hasn't to me. What browsers are you guys running, and are you running an adblocker like ublock origin?

I have no idea then. That's the same setup I'm running, and clicking (or middle clicking) an imgur embed takes me to the imgur site and plays the video.
I use Safari on my phone most of the time I browse HF. Imgur links are always dead; I click on them and it takes me to a blank screen. It’s only when I paste a link directly that I can get the images to load.

When I’m on my desktop I use Chrome, and I don’t have any problems. So it’s clearly a browser issue. I just don’t know how to fix it (and for reasons I won’t bore you with, I can’t use Chrome on my phone).

GasBandit

Staff member
I use Safari on my phone most of the time I browse HF. Imgur links are always dead; I click on them and it takes me to a blank screen. It’s only when I paste a link directly that I can get the images to load.

When I’m on my desktop I use Chrome, and I don’t have any problems. So it’s clearly a browser issue. I just don’t know how to fix it (and for reasons I won’t bore you with, I can’t use Chrome on my phone).
Does that same reason preclude you from running the mobile version of firefox?

GasBandit

Staff member
I guess all the CHUDs from Gamergate 1 are taking another shot at it. Nice seeing complete mongoloid dipshits like the Quartering, Grummz all being signal boosted by Libs of Tiktok and Elon Musk (concerning).

What are they mad about? The existence of a consulting firm that helps the incredibly white AAA gaming industry with diversity ideas.

The second worst crime in gaming. (The first is not being a man)

All the rightwing chud grifters are getting involved, Alex Jones, Matt Walsh, etc. It kicks ass. It's not like both these dipshits haven't complained about how video games are making men into boys and women consistently or anything.

I think I'm ready to leave interacting with other people on the internet behind totally. Gamergate 1 was too stupid for words and was basically the dry run for Trump (Bannon was a major force behind the first one).

I use Safari on my phone most of the time I browse HF. Imgur links are always dead; I click on them and it takes me to a blank screen.
This is what you have to do to get an Imgur video to work properly on mobile Safari:
-Tap the video. It will open up a new browser tab with a blank screen.
-Tap the square button in the lower right to show all the tabs and close the blank Imgur link it opened.
-Go back to the forum tab.
-Depending on how things went, it will either show a picture with a play button or else still show a grey blob. Tap it again.
-It will either successfully open up a fullscreen version of the video or else it will go back to a grey screen again.
-Tap the grey rectangle and it will probably open up to a fullscreen video.

Basically if you interact with an Imgur embed AT ALL in mobile Safari, Imgur will try to "helpfully" open it in a new tab for you, probably because they don't get any ad money for galleries/videos that are opened in embeds, so they're trying to make sure you HAVE to open it in a separate tab and load the whole site, or else open it in the app for the same reason. Just keep tapping the video you want to play and keep closing all the extra tabs and it will eventually work.

--Patrick

This is what you have to do to get an Imgur video to work properly on mobile Safari:
-Tap the video. It will open up a new browser tab with a blank screen.
-Tap the square button in the lower right to show all the tabs and close the blank Imgur link it opened.
-Go back to the forum tab.
-Depending on how things went, it will either show a picture with a play button or else still show a grey blob. Tap it again.
-It will either successfully open up a fullscreen version of the video or else it will go back to a grey screen again.
-Tap the grey rectangle and it will probably open up to a fullscreen video.

Basically if you interact with an Imgur embed AT ALL in mobile Safari, Imgur will try to "helpfully" open it in a new tab for you, probably because they don't get any ad money for galleries/videos that are opened in embeds, so they're trying to make sure you HAVE to open it in a separate tab and load the whole site, or else open it in the app for the same reason. Just keep tapping the video you want to play and keep closing all the extra tabs and it will eventually work.

--Patrick
That's not the only way, but yeah. It is a hassle.

Dave

Staff member
Oh hey the new Blizzard EULA is out. Guess I'm never playing another Blizzard game. Unless I pirate the shit out of it. And I do NOT pirate video games. I may start now though.

Your use of the Platform is licensed, not sold, to you, and you hereby acknowledge that no title or ownership with respect to the Platform or the Games is being transferred or assigned and this Agreement should not be construed as a sale of any rights.

Dave

Staff member
You own nothing. You are leasing the games you play and they can take them away at any time. Oh, and forced arbitration (that probably wouldn't hold up in actual court).

All Blizzard games and the launcher have been uninstalled. Bye bye, idiots.

Yeah, it's all great and what, but I paid for the ownership of some of those older games. I own my copy of Diablo, for example. Good look enforcing that Eula in the cEU

You own nothing. You are leasing the games you play and they can take them away at any time.
This...is pretty much how software licensing has always been. There's always some clause about, "This software is licensed, not sold. You own the media upon which it resides but have no title nor claim to the software contained within/upon it," etc. The only difference now is that when you download a digital game or get an in-game mount or whatever directly from blizzard, you don't even get a DVD any more. The agreement states (yes I read through the whole thing) that if you currently own any hard copies of the games, the media belong to you but the game code, assets, trademarks, likenesses, etc., is still property of Blizzard.
The biggest takeaway/change that *I* saw was that if you create a cool new mod, or a workshop game in Overwatch, or a scenario in Starcraft, Blizzard asserts all ownership rights over that (or at least that was my interpretation of that part).

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
WHY DO THESE EXIST?

m01328-khll_prod1.jpg
m01328-khll_prod2.jpg

m01328-khco_prod1.jpgm01328-khhd_prod1.jpgm01328-hftr_prod1.jpgm01328-khoy_prod1.jpg

Who associates Heinz ketchup, Kraft mac & cheese, Oscar Mayer hot dogs, and Huy Fong Sriracha with pixel art and video games?

WHAT?