Rant VIII: The Reckoning

I got accused if stealing at Old Navy today. I shit you not. As if I’d risk my security clearance for that.

I wanted a cute puffer coat and they were 50% off. I asked the cashier if I could wear it out of the store and she said for sure and removed the anti theft tag thing. I grabbed the shirt I bought and my receipt and left the store with it visible. No alarms went off.

I hear this hollering behind me and this tool is running and yelling. He accused me of stealing the coat. I said no and showed him the receipt. But no, he needed to hold it, go over it and stand there asking me stuff and be a jerk. When it was obvious I didn’t commit theft, he couldn’t even be bothered to apologize. Over a $30 jacket. For real.

I got accused if stealing at Old Navy today. I shit you not. As if I’d risk my security clearance for that.

I wanted a cute puffer coat and they were 50% off. I asked the cashier if I could wear it out of the store and she said for sure and removed the anti theft tag thing. I grabbed the shirt I bought and my receipt and left the store with it visible. No alarms went off.

I hear this hollering behind me and this tool is running and yelling. He accused me of stealing the coat. I said no and showed him the receipt. But no, he needed to hold it, go over it and stand there asking me stuff and be a jerk. When it was obvious I didn’t commit theft, he couldn’t even be bothered to apologize. Over a $30 jacket. For real.
Hold up, was this tool even someone that worked there? The way you describe it, it doesn't sound like he is.

When I worked retail I was told that I should not try to detain anyone. That was a job for security or the police. If I did, I could get the company and myself sued for false arrest.
Or worse. Yes, this clerk is a moron. You should go back and file a complaint @Squidleybits (or do it online) because not only did this employee harass you without cause, they followed you outside the store.

I had a lady try to force me to put some pants in a bag to leave the store with them--"for security". I didn't want the goddamn bag for one pair of pants. She insisted. I told her "once money changes hands, the pants are mine, not yours. My property. And I'll do with it what I want." She stuffed the pants in a bag anyway.

So, I took the bag, took the pants out of the bag, dropped the bag on the floor, and walked out...like a boss. Fuck that lady ;)

Most retail places I know, security gets fired if they pursue even a confirmed thief into the parking lot.
There is absolutely no reason to. The goods are insured, but the potential liability lawsuits aren't. It's better to lose a $30 coat or a $3000 tv than to potentially play $300,000 in damages.

That’s a great question. I have no idea. I was pretty shocked as I’ve never been accused of such a thing before.

I once forgot to pay for a Diet Coke at a hotel bar and remembered at the airport. I called and asked if they still had my card on file, which they said they did, and I asked them to charge it and a large tip and apologize to the bartender. They refused and said that they absolutely would not, but thanked me for calling. They seemed to think it was funny that I called and offered.

That’s a great question. I have no idea. I was pretty shocked as I’ve never been accused of such a thing before.

I once forgot to pay for a Diet Coke at a hotel bar and remembered at the airport. I called and asked if they still had my card on file, which they said they did, and I asked them to charge it and a large tip and apologize to the bartender. They refused and said that they absolutely would not, but thanked me for calling. They seemed to think it was funny that I called and offered.
TBF, they have no way of telling if that was really you calling, or some friend of the bartender.

Work sucks. I’m tired of dealing with stupid people all fucking day.

Life at home sucks. I’m tired of being the one person trying to stay upbeat and hold things together. Doesn’t matter what I do, either; it’s always met with a giant “meh.”

Health sucks. I’m sore and beat up all the time. I can’t remember the last time I slept well.

Everything fucking sucks right now. I just want to go to bed and stay there for a few days.

Update on foolishness:

I got a call from the actual store and she sounded weird. She asked if I had any additional evidence to share and I asked her what she meant by that. I told her that I did follow up with my receipt as I had given a slightly wrong time and let them know that I wasn’t running or acting sketchy that way as I am unable to run.

She said « No, you didn’t run ».

Of course! The security videos.

She said that she had a hard time believing the note she got from head office, but watched the tapes and she said she couldn’t believe when buddy followed me. She said that it looked so bad. They are not allowed to leave the store even had I really stolen something.

Evidently, after telling me I could wear the coat out of the store, the cashier got out her radio and told the floor that I had paid for the coat and was leaving the store in it.

Idiot dude claims he heard the opposite and when questioned by his boss said « I checked her receipt, it’s all good ». It was not all good.

She kept apologizing and asking what I wanted. I kept saying « for this not to happen to someone else ».

She said that the conversation didn’t go as she expected. I have a huge discount to use sometime soon and can combine it with all promotions. I’ll wait until everything is 50% and stock up for the kids.

A friend of mine jut recently got stopped by security for shoplifting. She's depressed and on antidepressants, suffering from a hernia so on pain killers, and she was coming from the hospital with her very sick 2-year-old son;. She hadn't slept much in two days, and she went into the store to buy some batteries for a toy of her kid. She also bought a bottle of whiskey as a birthday present for her husband. She put the bottle of whiskey in the diaper bag - with the top visible! - and in her half-daze forgot to take it out at the register.
The store manager believed her, just wanted to have her pay for the bottle and be more careful next time. The security guard wouldn't have any of it, was threatening her with cops and jail, a lifelong shop proscription (given this was in one of the major supermarket chains in the country, wold've been a bit of an issue), and pushed her beyond crying.

Total class act. I'm almost sad I dont' work for Securitas anymore so I couldn't intervene and get the info of the guard to explain to him why such tactics aren't allowed....Oh, and she paid €100 in administrative fees, but got a writ saying those had been waived. I'm pretty sure that guard just took the money himself. Shame.

Dave

Staff member
Back in the 80's I had just gotten out of the Marines and come back home. In Omaha still at that time you pumped your gas then paid for it. In California you paid first, like it usually is now. So I get back home, go to pay. They tell me pump it first. I shrug, go pump my gas, then hop in and leave. A couple blocks away I realized my mistake & drove back. I apologized to the cashier and he laughed about it, then called the police to let them know I came back...

Back in the 80's I had just gotten out of the Marines and come back home. In Omaha still at that time you pumped your gas then paid for it. In California you paid first, like it usually is now. So I get back home, go to pay. They tell me pump it first. I shrug, go pump my gas, then hop in and leave. A couple blocks away I realized my mistake & drove back. I apologized to the cashier and he laughed about it, then called the police to let them know I came back...
Sometimes that jarhead haircut can smooth a few things over.

I had that happen where I went in after pumping, grabbed a sandwich and a drink, which i paid for and then started walking out to the car only to have the frenzied cashier realize I hadnt paid for my gas as i walked to my car. she called for me to come back in over the loud speaker, i sheepishly returned and paid for my gas...

apparently my Tax Return is in the "errors department" They don't know why it's there, what it's there for, but it can take up to 10 weeks for them to figure out if it's their error or my error and either fix it or send it back to me to fix.. so... yay...

I once almost walked out of a comic shop without paying. It was my first time checking out said shop and I wound up having a really long, great conversation with the owner. I realized how long I'd been there and tried to rush out and he stopped me to mention that I hadn't paid. I'd been so much into the conversation, I hadn't even realized it.

In 2019, I was at the grocery store buying up a bunch of stuff, and somehow two avocados ended up going through the line in the child seat area of the cart and nobody saw them until we were out of the store and in the parking lot. A month (two trips) later, I made sure to put two avocados in the cart, went through the checkout and made sure they got rung up, and then, as we were exiting the store, I snuck the two avocados that'd just been rung up right back into the produce department.

--Patrick

I once walked out of a store with a large case of bottled water in the bottom of the cart. I only got a few steps out of the store when I realized. I turned right back around, walked the cart straight back to the cashier and mentioned we'd both missed the water in the cart (they have a mirror down there to help them spot them). She laughed and said it wasn't a big deal and to just take the water. I still feel kinda weird about it.

Woke up in the middle of the night to my cat throwing up and howling around the house. Now I'm worried about him and can't get back to sleep.

And...he just left a huge crap on the floor, not his litter box, and seems to have calmed down.

Okay, now I'm worried about him.

EDIT: I just called the vet and bringing him in. He's eating right now, which might be a good sign?

Last edited:
Probably just constipated by the sound of it (or ate something that hurt him going through).
Granted, with cats, constipation CAN be a very serious issue, so good on you for following up.

--Patrick

Woke up in the middle of the night to my cat throwing up and howling around the house. Now I'm worried about him and can't get back to sleep.

And...he just left a huge crap on the floor, not his litter box, and seems to have calmed down.

Okay, now I'm worried about him.

EDIT: I just called the vet and bringing him in. He's eating right now, which might be a good sign?
Eating is a very good sign! I hope he’s feeling well soon.

At the vet again right now. Diomedes made a fecal mess in his carrier on the drive home. Had to rush to Walmart and buy cat shampoo. But he probably tried licking some crap clean.

But then he threw up his food again. And more diarrhea. And he was weak. So I brought him in.

They're taking x-rays now. But I'm really worried. He's 16 years old and starting to show his age.

I'm terrified I might have to decide to put him down tonight.

Last edited:
Where the hell are you getting all these vibrators from, man?

(I only need like five, tops, anyway.)

You see what I talking about, @Shammerkins?!
Just five? Are you sure? I mean, you've got your regular one, your jumbo-sized one for when you want something a bit more exciting, your double-ended one for when you want to share, your miniature one for when you want to be discreet, your remote-controlled one that's paired with your phone, your other remote-controlled one for, uh, streaming, and then there's the one that's got that really funky shape for when you're really in the mood for something different.

And then you're going to want at least one spare for each of those, cause you know, vibrators do burn out and break from overuse, and you don't want to find yourself in a situation where you need a certain vibe and don't have one on hand.

And then you're going to want to have a few really good ones for when company comes around and you don't want them to think you only use the cheap stuff, you know?

So I mean, the bare minimum is something like twelve to fifteen vibrators. And probably more than that if you want to be seen as a respectable vibrator user.

Just five? Are you sure? I mean, you've got your regular one, your jumbo-sized one for when you want something a bit more exciting, your double-ended one for when you want to share, your miniature one for when you want to be discreet, your remote-controlled one that's paired with your phone, your other remote-controlled one for, uh, streaming, and then there's the one that's got that really funky shape for when you're really in the mood for something different.
You forgot the one that's endorsed by a celebrity.

--Patrick