Rant VIII: The Reckoning

The last 24 hours have been insane. My uncle who passed away was my dads brother. He was with us because we had planned to have an 80th birthday party for my dad tomorrow. Which we’re still planning to have apparently.

My mom got a call this morning from my cousin. She was near hysterical and she could hardly understand her. Apparently her mom, who is my moms sister in law, wouldn’t answer her phone or door. So she called the police to knock down the door and they found her dead in the living room. Unfortunately my moms brother passed away a few years ago. My cousin is lower functioning, but still fairly independent. She has a brother, but I have a feeling this will be a struggle. I know my mom would have gone down to help if everything else wasn’t going on, so I’m sure it’s extra hard on her.

Just one surprise. A tree limb broke off and fell on four people. It wasn’t a small one either. Thankfully it was four of the biggest guys in the family, and no kids were underneath it. Everyone seemed ok, and will hopefully just be a little sore.
Today I’ve been mainly just sleeping, so now I can’t.

Holy fuck, man, when it rains it pours. I'm sorry about everything that's going on.

Also I hope I didn't just jinx it and cause excess rain where you are.

We’ll take an excess of rain, we’re hurting for rain, so send everything you got.
large areas of China and Europe would happily have donated over the past weeks. And the coming weeks, to look at the weather charts.
But, yeah, let's have some less suck for you first.

In laws went on a 3 week trip selling stuff in different states. To no one's surprise but his own, my father in law just tested positive today. I had a *brief* interaction with him since he got home and my wife saw her mother a little. So I've been exposed but admittedly not a lot.

I let work know and am waiting to hear back from them on if I should come in or not. I can't really get tested until Wednesday or Thursday to get an accurate test. I told them as soon as I found out at 5pm. It's 10:45pm and they've gone radio silent.

We have enough people with nothing to do that I *could* very easily stay home. They probably just don't want me to since I'm one of the few people who will willingly work the closing shift.

So of course no response from management. I drive to work and then start to do the pre screening questions on the website we have to visit before we can enter the building. There are 2 questions it asks you.

Are you waiting on a test result, been exposed by someone who has covid etc. Etc.

And so to be totally precautions and since management won't tell me how to answer I click "yes"

It skips the 2nd question and tells me to get to work.

The temperature screening it says? Doesn't actually do anything. You don't need to take your temp to badge in to the door like they say.

Anyway, at work about to serve some food to some people.

Last edited:
My fucking bank card has more fucking money on it than I ever had in my life. AND I CAN'T MAKE A FUCKING ONLINE ORDER NOW BECAUSE MASTER CARD DECLINED IT!!!!!!

I had an extremely terrible conversation with my mom, who I pleaded with today to explain to me why she's so Conservative gung-ho despite being 100% pro-vaccination etc. She deflected and deflected and I got angrier and angrier until she said some horrifically homophobic shit and I had to hang up and cry for about half an hour.

I don't think anything's ever hurt that bad emotionally in my entire life.

I punched the ceiling in rage and I think I might've broken my knuckle. I very much did rip most of the skin off of it and it took about 10 minutes to stop gushing blood. Fucking idiot.

I had an extremely terrible conversation with my mom, who I pleaded with today to explain to me why she's so Conservative gung-ho despite being 100% pro-vaccination etc. She deflected and deflected and I got angrier and angrier until she said some horrifically homophobic shit and I had to hang up and cry for about half an hour.

I don't think anything's ever hurt that bad emotionally in my entire life.

I punched the ceiling in rage and I think I might've broken my knuckle. I very much did rip most of the skin off of it and it took about 10 minutes to stop gushing blood. Fucking idiot.
Not on the same level, but I learned a few days ago that my aunt - who is otherwise a kind, helpful, caring person - is also very racist. "Real Canadians" to mean "people who don't have accents", refusal to vote NDP even though they otherwise align with her beliefs because she "won't vote for a Turban," and god only knows what other hateful bullshit.

I'm still sad about it, and trying to figure out how to reconcile her being a good person in a lot of ways that matter, but also a pretty terrible one in other ways, that also matter. It sucks.

Not on the same level, but I learned a few days ago that my aunt - who is otherwise a kind, helpful, caring person - is also very racist. "Real Canadians" to mean "people who don't have accents", refusal to vote NDP even though they otherwise align with her beliefs because she "won't vote for a Turban," and god only knows what other hateful bullshit.

I'm still sad about it, and trying to figure out how to reconcile her being a good person in a lot of ways that matter, but also a pretty terrible one in other ways, that also matter. It sucks.
My own mother said something along those lines recently, which completely shocked me. She often said she didn't like Jagmeet Singh, so I finally asked her why. She said she didn't like that he still wears a turban. "He's in Canada now. He shouldn't wear it." And I was completely gobsmacked because I've never heard her say such a thing about anyone like that. I immediately called her out on and said it was racist, but I'm still completely shocked by it.

"Nice" to have my suspicions confirmed that people would refuse to vote for him because of his headscarf. Vile.

My own mother said something along those lines recently, which completely shocked me. She often said she didn't like Jagmeet Singh, so I finally asked her why. She said she didn't like that he still wears a turban. "He's in Canada now. He shouldn't wear it." And I was completely gobsmacked because I've never heard her say such a thing about anyone like that. I immediately called her out on and said it was racist, but I'm still completely shocked by it.
For someone dogging on this as a reason, specifically, "He's in Canada now." that's some blatant ignorance of our governing doctrine as a country

Fundamental freedoms – section 2
2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

1. freedom of conscience and religion;
  2. freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
  3. freedom of peaceful assembly; and
  4. freedom of association.
Under section 2 of the Charter, Canadians are free to follow the religion of their choice. In addition, they are guaranteed freedom of thought, belief and expression. Since the media are an important means for communicating thoughts and ideas, the Charter protects the right of the press and other media to speak out. Our right to gather and act in peaceful groups is also protected, as is our right to belong to an association like a trade union.

"Nice" to have my suspicions confirmed that people would refuse to vote for him because of his headscarf. Vile.

For someone dogging on this as a reason, specifically, "He's in Canada now." that's some blatant ignorance of our governing doctrine as a country
"Oh sure, they can follow whatever religion they want, but they don't have to show it off like that and rub it in our faces!"

Preferably said while wearing a crucifix proudly proclaiming allegiance to a religion that has killed hundreds of innocent children over the past century in your country alone.
Plenty of experience with that kind of thinking, sadly.

"Oh sure, they can follow whatever religion they want, but they don't have to show it off like that and rub it in our faces!"

Preferably said while wearing a crucifix proudly proclaiming allegiance to a religion that has killed hundreds of innocent children over the past century in your country alone.
Plenty of experience with that kind of thinking, sadly.
The current total of found bodies is well into the thousands now.

The current total of found bodies is well into the thousands now.
You know how English didn't have a word for "to take pleasure in the misfortune of others" until it stole schadenfreude from German? Well is there a German word for "utterly aghast but at the same time totally unsurprised"?