Rant VIII: The Reckoning

I need talked down. I have no alternatives lined up, but I'm getting angrier and angrier as the night wears on. I'm ready to demand an immediate answer to the raise request (yeah still hasn't happened), and just quit if I don't get it.

But not leave the building until I get the OT pay I'm owed. Second time in three months this has happened. I bust my ass to get things right, but owner can't be bothered to take care of staff... such as it is. There is only ONE other hourly employee left. No housekeeping. No maintenance. The guy who does some of that isn't actually an employee. He's doing odd jobs here in return for a room.

Reactions: Cat
I hate to be that guy, but every year the Secret Santa thread is a harsh reminder of just how miserable my existence actually is. Boss knows and admits I've more than earned that raise, but still won't give it to me. And this paycheck is missing ALL my overtime, close to 30 hours of it..

If I had the means, I'd leave this job and this shithole of a state far, FAR behind.

So no, I won't be participating. Again. :(
If they are stiffing you on OT, that's illegal. Bring it up to your boss and if they won't do anything about it, report them. Wage theft is still theft.

I need talked down. I have no alternatives lined up, but I'm getting angrier and angrier as the night wears on. I'm ready to demand an immediate answer to the raise request (yeah still hasn't happened), and just quit if I don't get it.

But not leave the building until I get the OT pay I'm owed. Second time in three months this has happened. I bust my ass to get things right, but owner can't be bothered to take care of staff... such as it is. There is only ONE other hourly employee left. No housekeeping. No maintenance. The guy who does some of that isn't actually an employee. He's doing odd jobs here in return for a room.
They've done it before? Definitely report them.

And no, I'm not going to suggest moving out here. You probably couldn't afford a cardboard box on a street corner, let alone a one-room efficiency, in the metro PHX area.

Keep in mind that you actually don't owe them anything no matter what they say to you

This is happening everywhere. Employers have been treating their workers like garbage since the Great Recession in 2008, knowing that people were desperate for work. Unpaid overtime, wage theft, off the clock hours, etc. Now a lot of employees are leaving and those same employers are wondering why nobody wants to work for them anymore.

This is happening everywhere. Employers have been treating their workers like garbage since the Great Recession in 2008, knowing that people were desperate for work. Unpaid overtime, wage theft, off the clock hours, etc. Now a lot of employees are leaving and those same employers are wondering why nobody wants to work for them anymore.
This is what happened to me, just earlier. Lost my job in 2008, finally was able to get fulltime work again in 2009, but was severely underpaid for it. Still, I took it because it was super-local and I needed the money. Fast forward three years, and while I'm pregnant with Li'l Z, they announce they're moving the office almost an hour away. So now with the new commute, and the fact that child care would eat up my entire paycheck, I quit because it made LESS sense to keep working for them.

And I'm certainly not the first parent to do so. Before I had to make my choice, there were tons of articles I read about parents having to do the same thing. Back in 2008, they bailed out the industries that caused the mess in the first place, and told the rest of us to bend over and take it. This is a reckoning YEARS, if not DECADES in the making, and no one wants to admit it.

You heard that I got the raise I asked for? Or at least he agreed to it. I'll know for sure when payday hits tomorrow. :)

Got a bad feeling about this but I am wishing you well
As I mentioned in another thread, it wasn't on this last one, which I kinda expected since it would have kicked in mid-week. The next pay period just ended, so it's supposed to be on next week's check. Where it'll ALL be on the new scale. :)

Sure feels like its been a consistently long time without it. Is there any documentation he can show you to provide evidence that it'll be there before having to wait until payday?

Sure feels like its been a consistently long time without it. Is there any documentation he can show you to provide evidence that it'll be there before having to wait until payday?
As I also said in that other post, he acknowledged the pending raise before I even finished opening the check last Friday. Trust me, I've got calculations, if it's not there, I'll be on his ass for the difference IMMEDIATELY.

As I also said in that other post, he acknowledged the pending raise before I even finished opening the check last Friday. Trust me, I've got calculations, if it's not there, I'll be on his ass for the difference IMMEDIATELY.
I think what they're asking is if you have a good case for lost wages. You can't prove a verbal contract but if there are records that show you've been ripped off you can sue their ass. I've threatened an old employer over this and if I did take them to court I actually could prove that I was training new hires who were paid more than me and that I wasn't getting the raises I should have bc there was a system where I had take these dumb tests about the franchise to get a raise
Post automatically merged:

A manager called the cops on me over this lol

This. The agreement was partway into the second week of the pay period. Having it kick in just for the last three days is unusual. This next one is the first full pay period after.