Rant VIII: The Reckoning

So, bit of good news: Dr. Asselah (her oncologist) says this is clearly a trauma thing, in other words an injury. We did too much too fast. He prescribed a cortico-steroid-based anti-inflammatory that she's had before and did very good work. He also scolded her a bit saying she's very sick and her back is very fragile still. Gotta let the medicine do its thing.

They're also giving her a radiotherapy reference and trying to get her in on Tuesday as well.

Another update: She took her first dose of the anti-inflammatory this morning (she gets to take it for 15 days in total, with a decrease in dosage every three days). Effects started happening after two hours and now she's almost back to where she was before the injury. She went back to using her walker for now (that wasn't a fun moment), but it's really temporary.

Crisis averted.

We're good about oil changes but we've neglected some maintenance. Bit us in the ass. Hoping to keep it rolling another couple of years. Need used car prices to settle down.

I got pulled over today, and for a few flimsy reason...a 1-lane road splits off into 2 lanes, but I didn't signal when staying to the right, which I thought I was supposed to stay to the right like I have hundreds of times before...anyway, not the point of my rant. I give the cop all my paperwork, he comes back as says all three have expired. What. The. Fuck.

So, A) The Insurance - no, it hasn't expired. I got the paperwork saying our insurance was renewed weeks ago. But this company hasn't been sending us physical cards for the past few years, and I've been bitching to Mr. Z, because he picked the insurance, that this is a problem because I don't get an email or ANY proof unless I chase them down. But the cop believed me and let that part go. Also because I called Mr. Z to send me an email of the card, which arrived right after the cop let me go. Of course.

B)The License - okay, this was my fuck-up. Partially. Remember when I mentioned my phone bricked itself out of nowhere a few months ago, and I lost all my calendars and contacts from the past 7 years? Well, guess what reminder I lost when that happened? Yep, fuck me on that one.

C)The Registration - now, this one is my real beef. I got a ticket for not having a current registration. I said that that can't be right: I got a notification this summer from the NJ DMV 2 months before my registration was due, saying that it wouldn't be due until 2023. He says it's coming up as past-due from the state. So when I went straight home, and checked my fridge where the paper is posted so I don't forget to pay it and... I'm right. It says as of May of this year, my registration isn't due for payment until next summer. So, what the fuck, NJ?!

Look, I have a pretty spotless driving record, which probably worked in my favor, but now I'm annoyed that all this shit happened at once, and most of it isn't my fault. Just....fucking fuckity-fuck-fuck. Argghhhh.

Last edited:
Follow-up to yesterday's rant*:

After finding nothing on the DMV website to help answer my registration question, I went down to my nearest location to ask what was up with the registration. I should have known things were going to go ...less than spectacular when I saw how the 2 chuckleheads (one, I'm assuming is a retired cop because his entire job was to sit on chair and chew a toothpick, beared a strong resemblance to John DiMaggio, btw) were treating anyone who showed up at the door. So I told the Emerald City Gatekeeper check-in guy at the entrance table that I wasn't sure who to speak to, I had been told by a cop that my registration was expired, but (with paper in hand), I had papers from the state saying my registration wasn't due until next year. Then the dudes look at me and laugh, "Oh nooooooo; THAT tells you what your NEW date will be IF you pay the registration!". Mind you, there is NOTHING on this notice to indicate this. I even have the previous notice, because I sensed some govenrment fuckery when I got the new, contridicting one months ago. So I asked if they could show me WHERE the difference was indicated, because I received the second notification BEFORE I sent in anything for the first notice, and BECAUSE HE COULDN'T the dude side-steps answering my direction question by saying, "Do you really think the state would give you a year for free?" [laughs at me with Toothpick cop].

...well, yes? Because they've done it in the past? In the past 10 years, I received deferments from our state DMV because my car was a make and model purchased at a certain time, my renewals would be extended by 3 years. Also, with the lack of available DMV staffing, like, oh I dunno, the location I was standing in where they no longer offer most of their services in-person and the REASON YOU'RE SITTING AT A FOLDING TABLE IN THE LOBBY WITH CLIPBOARD LITTLE MAN... they might pushing things back for pandemic-related reasons. Call me crazy, but there is a past precedence, so YES?!?

But I didn't say that last part out loud, because like I said earlier, before I exchanged one word with this dude, I could already see he was high on his own supply. I gave them my best

And came home to pay that shit online. But man, fuck this system. And because I have to show up in front of a local judge for that damn ticket, I'm sure as shit pleading Not Guilty due to DMV fuckery.

(*Cause I know you guys are JUST. RIVETED.)

GasBandit

Staff member

After finding nothing on the DMV website to help answer my registration question, I went down to my nearest location to ask what was up with the registration. I should have known things were going to go ...less than spectacular when I saw how the 2 chuckleheads (one, I'm assuming is a retired cop because his entire job was to sit on chair and chew a toothpick, beared a strong resemblance to John DiMaggio, btw) were treating anyone who showed up at the door. So I told the Emerald City Gatekeeper check-in guy at the entrance table that I wasn't sure who to speak to, I had been told by a cop that my registration was expired, but (with paper in hand), I had papers from the state saying my registration wasn't due until next year. Then the dudes look at me and laugh, "Oh nooooooo; THAT tells you what your NEW date will be IF you pay the registration!". Mind you, there is NOTHING on this notice to indicate this. I even have the previous notice, because I sensed some govenrment fuckery when I got the new, contridicting one months ago. So I asked if they could show me WHERE the difference was indicated, because I received the second notification BEFORE I sent in anything for the first notice, and BECAUSE HE COULDN'T the dude side-steps answering my direction question by saying, "Do you really think the state would give you a year for free?" [laughs at me with Toothpick cop].

...well, yes? Because they've done it in the past? In the past 10 years, I received deferments from our state DMV because my car was a make and model purchased at a certain time, my renewals would be extended by 3 years. Also, with the lack of available DMV staffing, like, oh I dunno, the location I was standing in where they no longer offer most of their services in-person and the REASON YOU'RE SITTING AT A FOLDING TABLE IN THE LOBBY WITH CLIPBOARD LITTLE MAN... they might pushing things back for pandemic-related reasons. Call me crazy, but there is a past precedence, so YES?!?

But I didn't say that last part out loud, because like I said earlier, before I exchanged one word with this dude, I could already see he was high on his own supply. I gave them my best

And came home to pay that shit online. But man, fuck this system. And because I have to show up in front of a local judge for that damn ticket, I'm sure as shit pleading Not Guilty due to DMV fuckery.

The most exciting legal drama of the year, no bullshit.

I will be tuning in for the next episode for sure! Better than any procedural of the past decade! Luna gives it two perked ears of approval!

GasBandit

Staff member
Also it kinda feels like what would be the beginning of the next season of Russian Doll. But you'd have to smoke a lot more and work on your accent.

Also it kinda feels like what would be the beginning of the next season of Russian Doll. But you'd have to smoke a lot more and work on your accent.
Because of where I have lived most of my life, I can pull off that accent pretty well. I try not to do it too much because it sounds like I'm making fun of my ex's mother. (I'm not; she just really sounds like that.) But the smoking, that might be hard to do. :eww:

... wait, forget the smoking, I don't want to die over and over again! Or hunt for kugels!

Today's episode: Celt Z Fought the Law, And the Law Only Kinda-Won!

I don't remember this being in any dystopian/sci-fi-related tales, but nowadays, going in front of judge means... going on a Zoom call with the local municipal court. Huh. I guess you can't beat the convenience. Although I wish it meant my case was seen sooner, because I spent a good hour+ staring at myself, in a breakout room, waiting for a virtual prosecutor.

But I was ready! I had all my paperwork! I had all my proof that I was not guilty! I was ready to plead my case, and throw myself on the keyboard mercy of the court, being a first-time offender! And as soon as the prosecutor got into the breakout room... he noted that my registration had been paid, so he dropped that charge entirely without me having to explain a thing. He also amended that I hadn't been driving without a license: I had it, it had just recently expired. And passed me along to the judge. A few minutes later, the judge comes on, sees that the charges have been dropped or reduced, tells me to pay a small fine, and have a nice day.

Y-yay?

That's it? I should be, and am glad, but... huh?!? I knew this was kinda crap from the get-go, but I don't even get to mention the cop or the DMV fuckery? Meh. This wasn't even worth the Rant. Have some Clash.

Today's episode: Celt Z Fought the Law, And the Law Only Kinda-Won!

I don't remember this being in any dystopian/sci-fi-related tales, but nowadays, going in front of judge means... going on a Zoom call with the local municipal court. Huh. I guess you can't beat the convenience. Although I wish it meant my case was seen sooner, because I spent a good hour+ staring at myself, in a breakout room, waiting for a virtual prosecutor.

But I was ready! I had all my paperwork! I had all my proof that I was not guilty! I was ready to plead my case, and throw myself on the keyboard mercy of the court, being a first-time offender! And as soon as the prosecutor got into the breakout room... he noted that my registration had been paid, so he dropped that charge entirely without me having to explain a thing. He also amended that I hadn't been driving without a license: I had it, it had just recently expired. And passed me along to the judge. A few minutes later, the judge comes on, sees that the charges have been dropped or reduced, tells me to pay a small fine, and have a nice day.

Y-yay?

That's it? I should be, and am glad, but... huh?!? I knew this was kinda crap from the get-go, but I don't even get to mention the cop or the DMV fuckery? Meh. This wasn't even worth the Rant. Have some Clash.

I haven't had this kind of driving related run-in in quite a while, but when I was younger and much poorer, I often went as long as possible without renewing stuff, because I was juggling bills. Inevitably, I'd get pulled over for registration or somesuch. In every case, getting that cleared up before court meant dropped charges (though usually still had to pay the sub-$100 court fee that went along with it)

I've been the temporary part time clergy at a local church for a little while. Also applied for the permanent full-time position. Went through multiple rounds of interviews, reference checks, etc.

Get along great with everyone at the church. No grumbling, no complaints, no whining.

I am basically the Minister Apparent. And the folks in the pews agree.

Got told today that despite doing absolutely nothing wrong. And indeed being excellent at what I do... They're offering the job to someone else. A dude.

But! They want me to stay an extra 4 months until he can start!

So I'm good enough to keep around, but not to hire permanently.

I am so angry. And so disappointed.
And because the initial contract is so short, I'm only eligible for EI if I stay.

Argh!

I've been the temporary part time clergy at a local church for a little while. Also applied for the permanent full-time position. Went through multiple rounds of interviews, reference checks, etc.

Get along great with everyone at the church. No grumbling, no complaints, no whining.

I am basically the Minister Apparent. And the folks in the pews agree.

Got told today that despite doing absolutely nothing wrong. And indeed being excellent at what I do... They're offering the job to someone else. A dude.

And because the initial contract is so short, I'm only eligible for EI if I stay.

Argh!
I'm sorry to hear that. It sucks. I know how it feels (well, except for maybe the gender discrimination part).

I find it interesting when you talk about the nature of your work, though, because it sounds a lot like finding a clergy job is a lot like finding any other kind of job, and it makes me wonder if there are any kind of agencies specializing in placements for this kind of work (Kind of like how RHT specializes in placing technology workers).

Sound like you have 4 months to do the bare minimum while job hunting on the clock.

DON'T GET MAD, GET EVEN!!! Always...

Sound like you have 4 months to do the bare minimum while job hunting on the clock.

DON'T GET MAD, GET EVEN!!! Always...
I still want a good reference from these folks, but ya... if I stay (and I'm increasingly conseidering it), I'll be coasting a bit more.

I still want a good reference from these folks, but ya... if I stay (and I'm increasingly considering it), I'll be coasting a bit more.
I mean, that's why i said "bare min.", and didn't suggest subtly screwing things up i ways that won't show up until your replacement is responsible for them...

Oooo, @Dirona, you should try quiet quitting! You weekly sermon should be, like, a couple of sentences, tops. "Jesus hung out with the sex workers, the poor,the most in need. He said we need to treat them all with the same love and respect, all the time, no exceptions. If you're not doing that at all times, you've failed as a Christian, and you've failed Jesus. Just sitting in those pews every week means nothing.

... okay, on to communion!"

I hate this fucking holiday. There's so much emphasis put on this one day of the year, and yet it's built up for MONTHS. Decorations, songs, advertising start the first of November, sometimes earlier, and it doesn't stop. It's a cacophony of capitalism wrapped in hollow platitudes of good cheer. All for one overhyped day.

And then there's the constant pressure of spending time with family. Easy to say when you're not the family loser, the sad sack without a partner or family of his own to spend it with. The family loser who dreads being asked "What are you up to?" when the answer is I wake up every morning of my life a little disappointed that I didn't die in my sleep. And yet when you just want to be alone, when you just want some space away from people for a change, there's an endless pressure to spend time with people who did more with their life by a mile when all I want is some fucking alone time. I'm so sick of everything. I've become a bitter, cynical, pessimistic loser who feels insignificant and worthless compared to literally every single person he meets.

Fuck Christmas. Fuck this capitalistic nightmare of a holiday that's forced on people who want nothing to do with it. Not it matters. This is just another sleepless, depressing rant that no one in their right mind should read.

Last edited: