[Gaming] RimWorld

Dave

Staff member
Also, if I download some of these, may I continue my game or do I need to re-start. I’m ok either way as I had a bloody fist fight on day one over a weight comment.
Before you download them, read the description. They should say whether or not you'd need a new game.

I’m loving this game!

I had my in-game name rejected several times, but they agreed to accept it tonight :)

Question: are components silly rare to come by after the first few years or do I have a rough map? I’m hurting for them.

I also think I’ve finally figured out safe mining. Poor Coaks, he was a good member of the crew....

GasBandit

Staff member
I’m loving this game!

I had my in-game name rejected several times, but they agreed to accept it tonight :)

Question: are components silly rare to come by after the first few years or do I have a rough map? I’m hurting for them.

I also think I’ve finally figured out safe mining. Poor Coaks, he was a good member of the crew....
I usually run a mod that makes it easier to manufacture your own components. Otherwise, yeah, they're stupid rare, you pretty much have to trade for them.

Or raid for them?? Heheheh

Seriously though, thanks! I will have to check out the list of mods and hope it can be added to a game in progress.

I just traded for a bunch and found a few. That will hopefully get me to where I can make them.

I’m having serious power issues too.

It’s officially decided that I have too many animals and tonight has:

killed a bear in an explosion (I didn’t know marble could explode)

Killed a kitten in a fire

a baby lynx died that I missed the reason on due to general chaos

gave it’s mother lynx asthma

Had two brand new kittens consume a foolish amount of alcohol and have brain/chemical damage

sent wild animals after half my alpaca herd.

Next game, I will need to find a spay/neuter mod because this is getting bleak

My quote that @LittleKagsin has in her signature was not kidding.
I tried to find her signature and never could.

I did find a mod to fix my cats though. I had to start again...I can't remember exactly, but I was at about 8 people and like 40 cats, 8 alpacas, an assortment of farm animals and two bears. Things got silly and then we starved. The kittens busted into the booze and their parents/uncle/brothers ate lavish meals.

The current game is going much better. I used the reunion mod and @HCGLNS (with lime green Cloud Strife hair) and our cats (as villagers) joined later on. I am bein much more selective about which guests or quest reward people I recruit. I seem to have heat wave any time that I have a huge amount of frozen meat stored and it all spoils.

I have a quest at the moment to transport a huge amount of uranium to a nearby village. I have no idea how to get it all there. I have mounts, but they are all Maine Coon Cats. I am going to try to tame some horses and see if that helps.

How does multiplayer work?

GasBandit

Staff member
How does multiplayer work?
It's been a while since I tried the Multiplayer, so maybe it has improved, but it had frequent disconnection issues when Dei and I were playing it. But basically, it just let two players control the game at the same time. Time flow propagates (changes in speed/pausing carries over) from one player to the other, though the two players don't have to stay on the same screen. They can look at/control different parts of the same map, or different maps entirely. This means that one player can be babysitting a caravan or start a second settlement while the other stays at the original settlement keeping things running there.

Well, if we can’t fix our cats, we will starve...

I will share a list of the mods I added. I found a bunch that added more animals and cat and dog breeds.

I would like to find one that adds different colored beds. You know, the priorities.

Well, if we can’t fix our cats, we will starve...

I will share a list of the mods I added. I found a bunch that added more animals and cat and dog breeds.

I would like to find one that adds different colored beds. You know, the priorities.
I have one for carpets, but the problem with beds is that they are color coded in game already (green for sleeping, blue for medical etc), so it can make things a little less intuitive when you start messing with them, so I think I got rid of my color mod.

(I also always play with a mod that let's you spay and neuter animals, but you can also segregate animals by gender specific zones so they can't actually get near each other in a pinch)

I need to set a selling room for guests. I forgot that was a thing.
Post automatically merged:

I also need to figure out mine safety. A certain hobo keeps getting almost crushed by rocks and malingering in the hospital. Maybe he just likes the tv?

Dave

Staff member
About your cats. The mod called "Colony Manager" addon allows you to set the max number of creatures by breed. If something happens and there's too many, your people will automatically kill the extras.

It's not evil, it's just farming.

!!!! Killing kittens!!!

In the colony that had so many, something was clearly happening though. A few fires/explosions centered on the cat bed areas, wild animals eating them, kittens drinking beer to the po My of brain damage etc. The game was limiting their population.

GasBandit

Staff member
For some bizarre fucking reason, the author of rimworld decided, intentionally, in version 1.3, to make turrets no longer fire on prisoners during a prison break. Ask me how I found out.

Fortunately, as with all the stupid fucking things that need to be fixed in rimworld, there's a mod to fix it.

Sometimes I think the only thing Tynan did right is make the game infinitely and easily moddable.

Also there should not be such a thing as "tainted" power armor.

GasBandit

Staff member
So just for a halloweeny thing to do, I installed and enabled the Zombieland mod for Rimworld on this playthrough I've been playing lately.

And 20 minutes later I accidentally saved over the "before the mod" savegame I had saved to be able to go back to before the mod >_<

Welp, guess I'm committed now!

The mod is actually a very good zombie apocalypse mod though, much better than the one I tried all those years ago. Very configurable and much more fleshed out.

Dave

Staff member
A friend was playing that and the dev dropped by her stream to give tips. It’s a fucking HARD mod unless you concentrate on defense right away.

GasBandit

Staff member
A friend was playing that and the dev dropped by her stream to give tips. It’s a fucking HARD mod unless you concentrate on defense right away.
It is quite challenging (if you don't turn off the hard parts, which it gives you the option to do). And it requires you to change entire play philosophies that have been drilled into you by vanilla since the beginning vis a vis fleeing vs fighting.

I was actually doing pretty well, until Randy Random decided it was time to explore my colon and sent two large breacher mechanoid raids on me within 6 game hours of each other. The zombies I could handle, the zombies and ONE mechanoid raid I could weather.... two, I stood no chance. So I had to form an emergency caravan and abandon my colony.

I lost 6 people in the chaos, but the surviving 18 have now constructed a rudimentary fortification in the wilderness, and I've managed to get some basic farming going there, and a few of my ducks and cows survived too (like, 6 animals total down from the 35 I had).

The mechanoids are still patrolling the abandoned colony, and it's a full time job keeping the refugee camp safe from the zombies, but I'm slowly working up to being able to retake it (I hope).

Oh and 18 people may sound like a lot, but only 6 or 8 of them are really of much use... of the others, most are tamed wild nymphs who can only do construction, crafting, and social tasks (incapable of violence, cooking, hauling, etc), and a couple are defenseless children too young to work (age 3-4).

It's a good thing the game considers a child of 5 old enough to use firearms.

GasBandit

Staff member
I got lucky.

I was on good terms with the outlander union of this playthrough (I'd been sending them drop pods full of packaged survival meals and whatever garbage raiders drop until they became allies), and fortunately, after a few weeks of camping in the hills outside my own colony, they started sending backup to assist with the mechanoid raid that never ended. The first couple got wiped out, but the third managed to kill off the last few mechanoids.

So I waited for a lull in zombie activity, then quickly packed everything I could carry back from my camp and headed back to the colony.

Fortunately, as I said previously, the nymphs I recruited were not as useless as typical nymphs - I made sure I got ones that could do construction and item crafting (the "Curious Nymph" starting background). My colony had lots of gaping holes in its walls and destroyed power runs and doors from fires that spread throughout the complex, but because most of my base is done up in stone the fire spread was relatively contained, but for construction and repair I actually had a fairly complete workforce.

Thank goodness I spent a lot of the game up to this point converting every drop of excess food into packaged survival meals because my farms were all completely blighted and needed to be burned down and started over. The animal pen didn't get rebuilt in time so some of my animals got away, but there's not much I could do about that. I'll have to re-tame or buy new animals, but in the meantime I think I should be able to keep everybody fed, and morale is climbing now that people aren't in mass barracks with sleeping bags any more, and can actually sleep in nice beds (with their spouses/lovers where applicable).

I got all my main entrance turrets back up and running too, and managed to restore the power grid with some hunters laying down covering fire for the nymphs rebuilding the electrical cables out to my geothermal generators. All my backup chemfuel generators got trashed, as well as one of my hydroponics rooms, but they're lower priority to walls and defenses, which still need some work. Thankfully the main crafting area, dining hall, and hospital were completely untouched, other than being "technically outdoors" because of doors burning down, which led to some supplies decaying over time until they disappeared... but that was mostly cloth and junk weaponry.

So, we're starting to claw our way back... I'm sure Randy has something special cooking up for me soon.

GasBandit

Staff member
Just another Randy Random moment.

When you simultaneously get attacked by mechanoids and man-eating iguanas.... and they turn on each other first.

Unfortunately a gathered zombie horde kept me from harvesting the iguana flesh afterwards before it rotted.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have so many mods that throw so many non-fatal errors that I had to delete, re-create, and write protect the game's log file because it grew to over 10 gigs (of unformatted TEXT) this week alone. I'm pretty sure Zombieland is the primary culprit.

GasBandit

Staff member
"Hello, yes? We'd like to purchase seventeen hydraulic vaginas. Do you deliver?"

1636923299884.png

Some time later, I get a call from the same settlement...

1636923351765.png

"Hey, now we want 17 revolvers of standard or better quality."

.... what are you making. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

"We'll reward you with an Archotech bionic anus!" I DON'T WANT THAT BUT THANK YOU PLEASE LOSE MY NUMBER