Sochi Winter Olympics General Thread.

It almost feels like one big slow motion replay. Watching the rock slowly creep down the ice, people on the team yelling, seeing it nudge itself into the perfect position. It's also a nice relaxing sport to watch.
Not if you're watching the US Women's team.

GasBandit

Staff member
Not from this year, but whatever. This one's for tha ladies. Well, and anyone else who fancies such I suppose.

How is this NOT a goal?? (Not yelling at you, checkerdhat, but at the officials.)
The ref had a choice: in favor of Russia and sleep in a hotel with actual beds, water and heating, or in favor of Japan and sleep among some Chechen rebels in a hovel next to a leaking nuclear power plant.

...At least, I guess it must be something like that :p

Last edited:
Hmmno, I'm saying I had several tabs open and put that bit at the wrong place :p[DOUBLEPOST=1392210533,1392210112][/DOUBLEPOST]

So thanks to @checkeredhat, I'm watching the USA-Canada women's hockey game live. It's a little frustrating having to deal with Canadian coverage, but at least there's live coverage. No cable subscription required either.

Using my new Chromecast to watch everything on the TV. Works pretty well from my gaming PC.

So thanks to @checkeredhat, I'm watching the USA-Canada women's hockey game live. It's a little frustrating having to deal with Canadian coverage, but at least there's live coverage. No cable subscription required either.

Using my new Chromecast to watch everything on the TV. Works pretty well from my gaming PC.
I need to do that too, I was expecting NBC to show it live as well, and they had stupid fluff coverage of people talking about the previous days events, not even yesterday's, but the stuff shown yesterday on nbc which was already nearly a day old.

NBC is frustrating.[DOUBLEPOST=1392222209,1392222156][/DOUBLEPOST]Germany has the most golds, and the US is in fourth place in total medal count.

Are there upcoming events which should turn the medal count around for us?

I need to do that too, I was expecting NBC to show it live as well, and they had stupid fluff coverage of people talking about the previous days events, not even yesterday's, but the stuff shown yesterday on nbc which was already nearly a day old.?
Try NBCSN, the old Versus network.

Germany has the most golds, and the US is in fourth place in total medal count.

We definitely have a shot at women's hockey and women's halfpipe, though the competition in both is super fierce.

I need to do that too, I was expecting NBC to show it live as well, and they had stupid fluff coverage of people talking about the previous days events, not even yesterday's, but the stuff shown yesterday on nbc which was already nearly a day old.

NBC is frustrating.[DOUBLEPOST=1392222209,1392222156][/DOUBLEPOST]Germany has the most golds, and the US is in fourth place in total medal count.

I started a 7-day trial of Unblock-Us. It was super easy to setup They're a DNS service instead of a VPN, so once I configured my router I was good to go.

GasBandit

Staff member
I started a 7-day trial of Unblock-Us. It was super easy to setup They're a DNS service instead of a VPN, so once I configured my router I was good to go.
I thought unblock-us was a VPN. I don't think you can spoof geolocation with just DNS, it just translates names to numbers for you, the client, it doesn't have anything to do with your destination website determining your location.

Most routers these days though do support vpn.

I thought unblock-us was a VPN. I don't think you can spoof geolocation with just DNS, it just translates names to numbers for you, the client, it doesn't have anything to do with your destination website determining your location.

Most routers these days though do support vpn.
You configure it by changing your DNS servers. They handle everything from their servers, and supposedly only when needed.

GasBandit

Staff member
You configure it by changing your DNS servers. They handle everything from their servers, and supposedly only when needed.
Ah, I just had a moment of clarity and realized how a dns-only solution would work. Clever. But also dangerous. If I were you I wouldn't do anything involving your bank account while that's in place.

I thought Norway was in first, or at least it was last I checked. Did Germany pass it?
I'm making a distinction between two methods of measurement.

Norway has the most total medals. The USA is fourth in total medals.

Germany has the most gold medals (6). Norway has only four, and the US has three.

So while Norway is beating everyone in total medal count (and that seems to be how people rank nations), it's notable that while Germany has fewer overall medals, they still have the most golds.

Frustrating as having to deal with the DNS stuff, or frustrating as in having to watch it on CBC? Because I can watch NBC coverage and I'll take CBC coverage any day.
I'm making a distinction between two methods of measurement.

Norway has the most total medals. The USA is fourth in total medals.

Germany has the most gold medals (6). Norway has only four, and the US has three.

So while Norway is beating everyone in total medal count (and that seems to be how people rank nations), it's notable that while Germany has fewer overall medals, they still have the most golds.
I like the gold system solely because of a quote from the Simpsons.

"Glorious gold, mediocre silver and shameful bronze."

Also the Gold system is used by the CBC for its Rankings.
Frustrating as having to deal with the DNS stuff, or frustrating as in having to watch it on CBC? Because I can watch NBC coverage and I'll take CBC coverage any day.

I like the gold system solely because of a quote from the Simpsons.

"Glorious gold, mediocre silver and shameful bronze."
if hes talking about the hockey game, CBC has some pretty terrible commentators/ analysts. Im assuming, anyway, that Glenn Healy and PJ Stock are both there.

Is the weather particularly painful over there now or did the Russian Olympic Committee just not give a fuck about track/run conditions?

It seems like every snow sport is dealing with a much higher-than-usual number of falls attributed to poor maintenance conditions.

Is the weather particularly painful over there now or did the Russian Olympic Committee just not give a fuck about track/run conditions?

It seems like every snow sport is dealing with a much higher-than-usual number of falls attributed to poor maintenance conditions.
I've heard it's warmer than they'd like. 40's in the higher locations, and upper 50's in the lower elevations. So I'm guessing the snow isn't the greatest.

Us women hockey got screwed by the refs they got screwed by not calling penalties on Canada then they blew the whistle before the puck went into the net then they said reviewed it and called it a goal anyway... Wow...

CBC. Big international tournament and I'm stuck with away coverage. I'm right there with you on NBC having terrible sports coverage. It seems like there's no good national sports commentators.

GasBandit

Staff member
CBC. Big international tournament and I'm stuck with away coverage. I'm right there with you on NBC having terrible sports coverage. It seems like there's no good national sports commentators.
Of course there aren't... the good ones want to get paid to work more than 2 weeks every 2 years.